Help

ARCHIVE

Morning Message

>

funteacher7

Morning Message
Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going to be doing morning meetings next year. What is a good resource for morning messages? I really don't want to have to come up with one everyday. I teach 3rd.

funteacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote

kspotter

Morning Message ideas
Old 06-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use the Buzz Book from kcrew.com. It's pricey but has lots and lots of ideas and most of them can spark even more ideas. You might need to adapt a bit for 3rd grade though.
kspotter is offline   Reply With Quote

heatherwagn

Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach first grade so I'm not sure but our reading series has a morning message for each day. My husband teaches third and says his has a daily question. Does your reading series have that?

Today is _________.
The question of the day is, _________________?

The students would copy the board and then answer the question.

I know you don't want to come up with one daily but I just keep the same format and change it so they are responding about something we are currently learning.

Today is ______________.
Yesterday we learned that matter is everywhere.
Matter is _______________.
heatherwagn is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

morning meetings/morning message
Old 06-15-2010, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yo asked about the morning message. The Morning Meeting Book by Roxanne Kriete (sp?) is the "bible".

For messages there are many varieties, especially depending on time . What is your purpose?

Mine are in a friendly letter format on the Smartboard that become interactive:shared reading, editing for teacher made errors (to work on word work or mechanics), a brief preview of what's happening that day. I also have our leader of the day write a sentence and sign his or her name next to mine in the closing.

I keep the template on the Smartboard and simply change the date and info each morning-no time at all really...In the old days, I had these written on chart paper on a chart stand or sometimes on the whiteboard.
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

Get the book
Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yes, I agree with the last poster that The Morning Book is your best resource! Here is my routine for daily morning meeting:

1. I always start out with attendance on the rug ("Good morning student! Good mornng teacher!")
2. Greeting - check out Christina Bainbridge's greeting cards that you made from the book. Her website is a wonderful resource!
3. New and Announcements - Next year, I somehow want to add a morning message to this part and instead of just telling the kiddos the news for the day, I'd like to write them a message (friendly letter). My students really needed help with editing this past year, so I thought they would enjoy fixing the teacher's mistakes in my message.

**To the last poster who does this, could you tell me more about how you implement morning message daily? I don't have a smartboard, so I will be writing my message out on a large chart paper. Thanks!**

4. Interactive Read Aloud - I always end morning meeting with a special read aloud. That way, this is a non-negotiable and I never ever skip this most importnat part of our day. We immediately begin Read to Self following read aloud.

Good luck to you and be sure to get the book and check out Christina Bainbridge's website.

beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

to beachbumteach re:morning message
Old 06-16-2010, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our routine is:
1. Gather on the carpet for the Greeting
2. Read Morning Message together (shared reading) and discuss or edit.

Here's an example:
September 12,2010

Dear Room 43 Fourth Graders,
Today is a fairly typical day. In reading, I'll red aloud the next chapter in top secret. In science, you will begin an experiment with plants. It's Isabella's birthday! So you will get a special treat that she brought in at snake time.
There are several errors in this message. Can you spot them.

My cat had 3 kittens last night!
Yours truly,
mrs. D. and
Chris

We're always working on mechanics so I sprinkle in errors in capitalization, spelling, punctuation. When we're working on synonyms or antonyms, we may find those within the message and list them at the end.

Leader of the Day gets to use the pointer when we read aloud the message and then also chooses students to come up and fix one error at at time. This often leads to some class discussion or clarification. He/she also adds a sentence or two prior to the class reading.

Depending on the time, I may spend 10-15 min. other days only 5 minutes on this.

3. Agenda (written on a mini whiteboard)
4. Poem or song (depending on time) We have Poetry & Song folders so Leader gets to choose one for us to read or sing.

This leads into our reading block. I love beginning every morning with this established routine
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

crazyeights

I too
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

have used the Morning Meeting Book (as well as the First Six Weeks of School) and somedays I tie it into the question of the day in our reading series.

Kspotter, I checked out the Buzz Book it looks interesting but is it really worth the money? It's $50.00 on their website.
crazyeights is offline   Reply With Quote

funteacher7

Old 06-20-2010, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks for all the help!
funteacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote