Help

ARCHIVE

Will you go in during the summer?

>

elisab1963

Will you go in during the summer?
Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I always went in a lot of days to get my room ready, but this year due to contract and budget issues we aren't supposed to go in at all until the first teacher day! I can't imagine not having this extra time, so I'll just have to have as much in place as possible and hope it doesn't get destroyed or stolen when the rooms get cleaned.

elisab1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tchn4fun

Old 06-13-2010, 06:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, but my rule is that I can only go in on rainy days. Some summers I go in quite a bit and some hardly at all. I live on the west coast, so there's always a bit rain.
Tchn4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

adore2teach

Old 06-13-2010, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm sorry you have so little time to prepare your room. Our building gets a really good cleaning over the summer, so we usually can't go in the months of June and July. The first official day we can go in is August 2nd, which is way before our contract days.
adore2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

liketeaching1

Yes
Old 06-13-2010, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

because I am still there teaching summer school. Summer school ends the end of June and we only have 4 weeks after that so the good part is I really only move the big things to one side so the carpet can be cleaned. Everything else just stays. If I am making changes for next year I do it during summer school!
liketeaching1 is offline   Reply With Quote

BookBug

Keeping my Sanity
Old 06-13-2010, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am one of those very "early birds." I want to get in and do my room ASAP. However, I am moving from SC to FL and this causes some glitches for me. The nice thing is that my former classroom is all packed and in my garage. Now, I have to sit and wait for my house to sell and move to FL. Then, I do not know what grade I am even teaching???!!! Yikes...so enjoy your summer and pray that the school gets cleaned fast! !

BookBug is offline   Reply With Quote

jeanine1111

Old 06-13-2010, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No, we are only allowed in school two weeks before it starts. They clean all the floors and hallways. Sometimes, it is later than that. I wish we could go in all summer to set up our room. I would be able to get so much done.
jeanine1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

GoldenGirl81

No
Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We aren't allowed to go in to work on our rooms until the week before the first teacher day.
GoldenGirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote

salem

Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are finishing up our workdays this week and I will probably go in a few more times in June---but I bring home a lot to work on here.

Our black out date is the month of July due to the floors being waxed and carpets being cleaned.

First day you can come back is August 2, teachers return on Aug. 17th, and school starts on Aug.25.
salem is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvpooh

Going in early
Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I probably will go in! I moved schools mid year so I did not have time to get everything organized and sort through things that were left-I want to go through and purge old files old things not being used etc. and set up my room the way I want to since everything gets taken out so the floors can be done. Hopefully they will be done with my side of the building soon and I will go in and start setting things up a little at a time
iluvpooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Nope
Old 06-13-2010, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've never been able to get in early. This year was the worst though. They were doing asbestos abatement on the old side of our building (my side) and our floor was the last to get done. We were back for in-service and I still wasn't allowed on my floor, let alone in my room. I had to come in on both Saturday and Sunday before the kids came on Monday. I had everything in it's place but the only thing on the walls was my numberline. My library wasn't ready for the first day either. However, we built the room together and it became ours. It's not easy, but it's doable. Good luck!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

mAanda

I can
Old 06-13-2010, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I can get in about 2 weeks before, which is enough time for me, even though this year it will be a brand new school and classroom, so I know I'll be there a lot in those 2 weeks. I taught with a guy (Grade 7) who didn't step foot in his class before the first day. His chairs were still stacked, desks in piles, and he and the kids got the room ready together. It would never work for me because I like things just so, but it worked for him.
mAanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My classroom was already waxed on Friday, so I can go in now whenever I'd like (except for the week they wax the hallways). I'm teaching summer school until the end of June, so when I'm done with that, I just want to go home. I'll probably go in here and there in July just to make sure it's set back up the way I want it and to sort and throw some stuff. I won't hit it too heavy until August.

I just don't understand (with the exception of when they are cleaning), why some of you can't go in. Wouldn't you be going in on your own time? I don't get paid extra for all the times I go in during the summer. Shouldn't they be happy that you want to go in on your own time?
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

They are not letting us in
Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Apparently there were some legal issues regarding liability for injuries that kind of spoiled it for us. We can only go in with specific okay from the principal for specific times and purposes.
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

jde3399

I can
Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My room will be used during summer school. That doesn't start until July. Then they have to wax all the floors. They wax everyone elses floors since they aren't being used. So of course, my room is one of the last ones. But the custodian who does it knows that I want to get ASAP to set it up, so she calls me when I can come in which is at the beginning of August and teacher days doesn't start for a couple of weeks. Although I am changing grade levels this year but not classrooms, so I want to get to work ASAP because I will have a lot of changes coming.
jde3399 is offline   Reply With Quote

DoxieTeacher

Old 06-13-2010, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am at a year round school, so yes I will be there during the summer!! I actually only get two days to set up my new room, in a new school, going from elementary to middle school!
DoxieTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

scraphappy

Old 06-13-2010, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I used to spend a lot of summer time at school.

Then I had kids.

I refuse to pay for childcare so I can go in.

I now get the classroom ready for the next year before the current one ends. It's been great!
scraphappy is offline   Reply With Quote

jetgirl

Yes
Old 06-13-2010, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I like to go in about a week before our first contract day. I enjoy the peace and quiet of organizing my room before I am pulled in many different directions with meetings and team related "stuff". I'm usually at school about 3-4 days setting things up and it gives me peace of mind
jetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

fraffert

Me
Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I am usually biting at the bit to get in in July, but our principal has said we have to wait until the first week in August. That is one week before our official teacher workdays.
fraffert is offline   Reply With Quote

katiekrivo

I'll be there almost every day...
Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Of course, I'll be teaching summer school though! But, I will be working on my room. All of my teammates happen to be teaching summer school as well, so we planned to do some work for getting materials ready for next year.

I was hired only a few days before teachers started last year so I never really got my room organized the way I wanted it last year, so I'll be doing that over the summer as well.

I just hope the weather stays rainy like this so I stay motivated to work rather than being motivated to sit by the pool!
katiekrivo is offline   Reply With Quote

NIUTeach

Summer
Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Today is the last day we can techincally be in our school (although I was looking at other classrooms and unless they come in today, there is no way they are done... so they will probably push to come in next week).

I am teaching summer school at another elementary school so I had to pack up all my stuff to teach for 5 weeks at another school (I did limit myself to 2 Rubbermaid containers and a few pocket charts!)... Anyway, I am going in today to finish everything up and probably won't be back to the first week of August.

...considering Summer School ends July 16th, that's not much of a break for me, but I guess I like it that way!

** By the way, we can be in our classrooms all summer Tuesday - Thursday 9-1 (weird hours, but we still have our keys, so we could get in whenever, I guess).
NIUTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Guilty of going in early,
Old 06-13-2010, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

but I limit myself to the amount of time per week I can spend on classroom things. That includes reading, making stuff, shopping, ect.
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

blumbert

Spend Summer Time at School
Old 06-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I am always at school during the summer. It allows me time to clean things that I didn't have time during school year to do. My children are in their 20s now so it is quiet, no children and do what I want to my room time. I really value this time in my room.
blumbert is offline   Reply With Quote

sweetsong32

Old 06-13-2010, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We are allowed to go in also anytime.

I usually take June off. I don't do any school related work at all. Except for maybe some research on the computer.

In July, I'll start going in one to two days a week.

This year, though, our pre planning starts on July 28- my birthday.
sweetsong32 is offline   Reply With Quote

ancientciv

Old 06-13-2010, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We can go in as soon as the cleaning crew gets finished - usually around mid-July. I like working on my room in bits and pieces - an hour or two here or there is relaxing to me and good thinking time.

Most of my summer work I do at home on my computer though.
ancientciv is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 06-13-2010, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I'll go in at least a day every two or three weeks. Trying to clean out cupboards and files. I have so much junk that other teachers have handed down - I can't find what I want when I want it! Need to dump lots, sell some, and organize the rest.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 06-13-2010, 12:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Monday morning at 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. weekly. Most of our elementary staff come in and then most go home to families and we singles go for coffee with the principal paying!
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

ms.gteacher

Old 06-13-2010, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I am allowed to go in whenever I want because I still have my keys. My principal said "he doesn't think it is right to keep a teacher out of the building if they want to work and get ready for next year" and as long as our room is ready to be cleaned we don't have to go in until our contract days start the first week of August. I was in M-W last week and cleaned and organized my desk, shelves, and cabinets. I also moved things off the carpet so it could be cleaned. I will have to go in this week to move things back onto the carpet, so my tile can be cleaned. Then after that I will go in and set up the room. I did bring things home to work on...mainly things to be laminated and folder games that I want to make. Sometime I might go in and make copies and print off books from Reading A-Z and other sites. I am trying not to do a ton of teacher stuff this summer.
My two kids stay at home when I go in and it gives me a break and some much needed alone time .
ms.gteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

saraebeth

Old 06-13-2010, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

we aren't out yet, one more week. But we don't know what grade we are teaching or what room we will be in until the end of July so it's a waiting game... We dont' start till after labor day though. Once I get out of there this week I probably won't go in until the end of August/Beg of september
saraebeth is offline   Reply With Quote

momtow

I'll be in
Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Yes, I go in after they get our rooms all cleaned and waxed. I need to get in to organize and clean out the clutter. School is my passion so I spend way to much time there or at home working on school stuff.
momtow is offline   Reply With Quote

luckytoteach

Yes, I do
Old 06-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I can't help myself. We got out late this year (June 9th) so I probably won't go in until July to start organizing and planning for the next school year. Our lower school head usually has a meeting or two to meet the new people hired and discuss upcoming agendas but it is not mandatory. It's one of those things that you do go to if you don't have plans.
luckytoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

polarteach

Up until now
Old 06-13-2010, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

we could go in if we had a key. (one teacher from each grade level has a key)
Well, I just got back from school because I was planning on getting a book I needed. I drove up to the door and it had two big signs posted!!! In a nut shell it said we are not allowed in the building without contacting the principal. All the codes have been changed. I took a deep breath and realized the principal is out of town for the next week. NOW WHAT!!!!
Out of 6 buildings, our building is the only one with this sign. This is so stupid!
I have emailed the principal and asked when I can enter and pick up my book.
Ok, now I feel better.
polarteach is offline   Reply With Quote

funteacher7

Old 06-13-2010, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

Yes because I'm teaching math summer camp. And also because we are getting a new math series and since I'm team leader I will be getting ALL the boxes of delivered things to my room. So I have to sort them and have them ready for the teachers on my team to get when school starts again.
funteacher7 is offline   Reply With Quote

sandmkaduk

We can
Old 06-13-2010, 03:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

go in whenever we want. Unfortunately, I moving classrooms so I am waiting on all of my boxes to be moved. I am going out of town at the end of July, and I am hoping to have my room set up before we leave. That way I can enjoy my vacation, and not constantly worry about everything I have to do.
sandmkaduk is offline   Reply With Quote

CrucianLady

I always do!!!
Old 06-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I'm in and out all summer long. I just find it so much easier to start the year off, if I've done most of my prep over the summer. I just go in a couple of hours a week. It saves soooooooo much time during the school year.
CrucianLady is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

contract
Old 06-13-2010, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

They won't let you go in? What does that have to do with budget cuts? Did you get paid for going in early before?

We never got paid for going in during the summer - I did it because it was easier to go in for a few hours each day in the 2 weeks before school starts. Then I could take my time and use the copy machine when there wasn't a line. I actually ENJOY going in during the summer - it's relaxing!

They never mind us going in early, as long as the floors have been waxed already. They try to get those done during June, though.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

kckrzy

Any time.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

We can go in any time once they've shampooed and moved our furniture back in. I'm switching buildings for next year so I can't get into my new room until it's ready. Should be next week. When I first started teaching we set up our rooms the two or three days before school started. I hated that and can't imagine not going up in the summer now. Maybe the reason for not wanting the teachers in during the summer is because of air conditioning. I know in my room I've been in I could go in and turn on the air when I worked. My new building the janitor controls the ac so hope she's around when I go in.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

aksuz

NOT going in but not by choice
Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

They took our keys this summer so I'm not going in--I have to admit it almost feels liberating to forced to stay out
aksuz is offline   Reply With Quote

k3teacher

hmmmm...
Old 06-14-2010, 11:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

This is the first year I haven't had to change rooms so I don't Need to go in as much over the summer...but that doesn't mean I won't go in. This year I am taking several grad courses so it will limit the amount of time I'll have to go in. Yet, once classes are over in August I'll be there!
k3teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

babygirl27

Yes...
Old 06-14-2010, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I normally go in all through the summer, but this year they added a new section to our building and it won't be ready to move into until some time in July. The good news is....I get a brand new classroom
So as soon as I get the ok I will be there moving my stuff in, right now all my stuff is packed in boxes in the school gym.
babygirl27 is offline   Reply With Quote

DragonLady09

I'm getting new carpet
Old 06-14-2010, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

so everything is out of my room but what's in the one permanent cabinet. It could be the middle of July before they are done but I can go in as soon as they are. I'll need to! I've got almost 30 years worth of stuff to put up, sort thru, and make sense of. I usually go in a day or two per week starting in July and then the whole week before school starts. I'm particular with what I do and easily distracted so I find myself all over the place with a dozen projects at once. It's easier to stay focused if I'm the only one around! lol I will also be grade level chairman with at least 2 new team members who will be eager to get ahead start, too.
DragonLady09 is offline   Reply With Quote

bluedaisy

Yes
Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

I will be going in this summer.... this year was my first year and I have so much I want to do differently for my 2nd year! I also have a lot of organizational stuff I want to get done!
bluedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote

elisab1963

Summer
Old 06-14-2010, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

The union doesn't want us to go in during the summer because we haven't had a contract all year, and still don't have one. We will be working to contract every day starting Sept.(no before or after school) We have been working under our old contract for over a year. Welcome to New Jersey but at least we have jobs.
elisab1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

CountryJo

Probably will go in in the mornings later
Old 06-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

this month and the first part of July. We have a new principal so really don't know what her thoughts are on this. We have 2 furlough days during preplanning so I probably will steer clear of those days as the press will expect us to go in. I'd really like to get in and go through my files now that I have been in 3rd grade for a couple of years. I think I probably have enough at home to say grace over and can plan here just as easily.

It's hard to get the teacher mode to gear down.....
CountryJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Hipmom

Hipmom

Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I don't go back to school until 2nd week of August. I need to a break and I do a lot of things at home over the summer. I feel if I go back a lot, I'm not getting a break and rest.

mooseweaver

Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

I always go in over the summer as I saunter through various projects that I've saved up during the year, but I don't stay long . . . and I try to limit the time between now and August so that I really feel rested. One summer I worked hard on curriculum all summer and was mentally still tired when school started--not good. Once August begins I am gung-ho!
mooseweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

sonshine

It's summer vacation...
Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

I'm here! So I guess that answers the question! We can go in whenever we want during the summer except when they are shampooing the carpets and waxing the floors.

In my first two schools I used to never go in during the summer because I'd be gone most of the summer. In my new school where I stay home most of the summer, I've gone off and on to do some organizational things during the summer. It's a quiet time to get things done!

Often though I think I would be better off to just spend a week doing stuff and not wander in and out all vacation. I will probably take the entire month of July off with NO school related work.
sonshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Perdy4

Yes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

Yes, I will be going in over the summer. We have access pretty much anytime we want. I am making some changes in my room so I want to go in and have them done. I also will be out of my state the two weeks prior to school starting ...so I need to be ready prior to that time.
Perdy4 is offline   Reply With Quote