Help

ARCHIVE

Help! I Need Organization!

>

MissMacB

Help! I Need Organization!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am in a cleaning frenzy right now. I would like to clean out file cabinets, professional book shelves, and closets in my classroom. Does anyone have wonderful organization tips that will help me set up a streamlined system? I am so afraid that I will throw away something and spend the entire year looking for it! I can't possibly scan everything because it is just too much. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

MissMacB is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

ideas
Old 06-13-2010, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tips that I've been given are, if you haven't used it this year or last, you probably won't. Go through files and throw away all those multiple copies. I kept just 2 - an original and one more of any student pages that I thought I might use in the future. (People have suggested to me to keep just one copy and mark it with yellow highlighter so you'll always know that's your original, but I worry about it showing up on the copy.)

I would say scan whatever you can, but in groups. So, if you have tons of graphic organizers, scan them all in one file and label it "graphic organizers". I'm really lucky that our school copiers have scanning capability through the top feed tray, so a stack of pages takes seconds to scan. I don't know if places like Kinkos have that capability or not, but if you don't have it at school, it might be worth checking into.

I use 3-ring binders constantly! Each of my Social Studies and Science Units is in a notebook, which saves a lot of space and time. Even math worksheets and copies go in a binder organized by topic for easy reference. Tabbed dividers and 3 hole punched folders have been a big help to me.

I bought some of those magazine file things from Target and keep picture books for each of my Science and Social Studies units in their own file box.

Happy Cleaning!! I hope some of these ideas are helpful for you!
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

westwitch

Page protectors
Old 06-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow! You're ambitious!

I weed down to a single copy and save each "master copy" in one of those top-loading clear plastic sleeves. If they're "slip covered" I'm less apt to misplace them or accidentally throw them out. If you need a number of them for one subject (say Multiplication activities for Math) or are heading to copier to make multiple class copies, you can clip them with a jump ring while you're using/copying them, then pop them back into files when you move on to another topic.

The last time I weeded out, I found mimeographed pages with rusted staples in them (not mine!). Antiques!

As for your professional books, put the ones you're pretty sure you can live without in a box, and store them in your closet. Mark it with the date. If you don't use them after a reasonable amount of time (a year?), toss the box or give the stuff away.
westwitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms. Geo

Yellow highlighter
Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You can write original on your papers w/a yellow highlighter and it will not show up when you make copies.
Ms. Geo is offline   Reply With Quote