Help

ARCHIVE

Calling on creative teachers

>

Happy Teacher

Calling on creative teachers
Old 06-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been thinking about ways to make my classroom nice looking. One thing that has always bothered me is that I have coat hooks on the side wall of my classroom. Above the hooks are cylinder shelves where they can put their lunches. I was thinking that maybe I could get fabric and make some curtains to cover the coat hooks. I hate looking at their coats and backpacks all day long. I guess I would need to put fabric on rings so they could be moved to the sides at the end of the day. Maybe I should use shower rings? Any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Happy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Without seeing your coat hook situation, I'm not sure this would work, but perhaps you could put up a shower rod with a pretty shower curtain to hide the area?
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Hesitant_Hen

I had a similar problem
Old 06-13-2010, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got sick of looking at it too, so I removed the whole mess, took the hooks off of the old rack, and used them to make a rack that fits under the chalkboard. This was wasted space anyway and now the backpacks and coats aren't at eye-level.
Hesitant_Hen is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

great idea!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think this is a great idea! I've thought of it myself as I'm moving into a room that has coat racks inside (they were in the hallway in my old room). I've thought about a couple different things, though all had major down sides...
1 - I thought about hanging a wire from the wall to the shelving unit that is on the other side of the coat racks, but it would get flimsy in the middle, and I don't want it to look sloppy.
2 - I thought about hanging light curtain rods from the suspension ceiling and using shower curtain hooks or something else easy to slide, but I don't think I'll be able to find a rod long enough and worry that 2 seperate ones will be just TOO tempting to play with for 5th grade boys. : )
3 - I JUST thought of attaching some kind of hook to the shelf above the coat rack and using it like the brackets that hold a curtain rod on the wall. That way the rod sticks out a little bit from the shelf so I can put the "curtain" on it, but doesn't have the ability to swing. Even if I had to have 2 rods, they would be pretty sturdy.

Good luck to you!
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Random

Old 06-15-2010, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have hooks in the classroom, and it really is a pain.

One concern that I would have with a curtain is that it might end up looking messier, especially if it just gets shoved aside. I can't imagine how many times a day you'll have to straighten out the curtain...to be honest, I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Random is offline   Reply With Quote