Help

ARCHIVE

Anyone not do classroom jobs?

>

ColorWonder

Anyone not do classroom jobs?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm wondering how many other teachers don't have classroom jobs in their room. I just don't find the need for them. I did find that this year students argued over who carried the lunch bin and sat against the wall during read aloud. I solved that by going alphabetically.

ColorWonder is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

helpers of the week
Old 06-13-2010, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I choose 3 helpers for the week, and they do everything. I write their names on index cards and hang them on the board with magnets. I just pick the next 3 cards each Monday to rotate them. Very easy.
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2cook

class helper
Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't want the extra hassle of something else to manage (i.e., another chart to change) so I just have a daily helper. That person does whatever I need like door holder, line leader, errand runner, partner for game demos, etc. I have everyone's name on a cutout and have them in random order on a ring on my easel. Each day I just flip to the next person. It's easy for me and the kids are fine with it.
luv2cook is offline   Reply With Quote

doolnut

Classroom helpers
Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do not have classroom helpers that I change each week. Instead, I have my students line up in alphabetical order and they rotate everyday (first person will go to the end of the line and the second person becomes line leader) so that everyone will have a chance to be line leader and door holder. If they are line leader, then I have them do other classroom jobs, too. By doing it this way, it saves me time by not changing the chart. Also, it cuts down on friends getting next to each other in line to talk.
doolnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Ms.SB

Old 06-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do them, but I only do it for things that will really help ME. I don't do it for them, if that makes sense.

My top jobs I couldn't live without:

Overhead helper (plugs in, erases board before it's turned on)
Librarian (puts back randomly placed books into appropriate bin)
Paper passer / paper collector
Calendar marker

I do have a couple of others just to avoid arguments and place loud kids where I want them - line leaders, etc. I keep it simple, and keep myself in mind, as selfish as it may be.

Ms.SB is offline   Reply With Quote

kas327

Old 06-13-2010, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A collegue of mine doesn't have jobs... but I couldn't imagine not having jobs. It is a simple rotation that takes 30 seconds to change on Fridays. It also depends on the grade level too. I feel that my fifth graders should help maintain the classroom- kinda like having chores at home. IMO
kas327 is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This year I had 2 helpers a day. I teach a 2/3. So I had their names in clips on the board in 2 piles. One for grade 2, one for grade 3. These 2 students did anything I needed for the day. It made passing out papers easy becuase I could say "grade 2 helper pass these papers out to the grade 2's only" etc. They would rotate who was line leader throughtout the day.

For things like the overhead/lights etc I would just make the job the person who sat closest to it.
I know some people have like 8 different jobs and switch those around but I could never keep all that straight, that would drive me nuts
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

mkramer

Helpers of the day
Old 06-13-2010, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This past year (4th grade) was the first year I didn't do set jobs each week. Instead, I had a boy and girl helper each day. I wrote students names on laminated frogs and put them on a ring. It was predictable so students knew when it was their job. The two helpers each day did whatever jobs needed to be done. Any jobs that required more than 2 students, anyone who volunteered got to do the job. If anyone argued/complained, they didn't get to do the job. If someone volunteered they got a "bug" for being good which I pulled on Friday for a small reward. I did this the first half of the year and then weaned them the second half, but they still volunteered willingly!
mkramer is offline   Reply With Quote

klh2

Student of the Week
Old 06-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have the kids create posters, which they use to introduce themselves during morning meeting, as their posters are selected, one at a time. That student becomes the helper for that week.
klh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

brtotchr

helper
Old 06-13-2010, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a "student teacher" that helps with jobs for a week at a time. This student does all of the tasks needed. Then, if he/she needs help she chooses someone in alphabetical order. It works for me.

brtotchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Elizabeth-TX

Daily Jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

For the last eighteen years I have drawn a daily helper (on tongue
depressors). The kids love the excitement of possibly being the day's
helper. They do everything for me on that day and their turn rolls
around in another 21 days. I don't have to remember who does what.
It makes sense to me.
Elizabeth-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

SnackNapRead

Star Student
Old 06-13-2010, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I don't have classroom jobs, however, I let my weekly Star Student do all the classroom job-type things for the week. They like it and it saves me the hassle of doing job rotations and stuff.
SnackNapRead is offline   Reply With Quote

♥theColts

Old 06-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Jobs never work out for me. They always turn in to a major hassle. Instead, we have clean up time at the end of class where everyone pitches in! As for other things like errands, for example, the students understand not to ask and I will choose. I try to give everyone multiple opportunities, but some jobs I give to those eager early finishers. It works for me.
♥theColts is offline   Reply With Quote

desiree

I do.....
Old 06-13-2010, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I change jobs weekly. The students really look forward to seeing what/if they have a job each week. It gives them a sense of pride to follow through and help out.

Jobs: line leader, floor patrol, turn on/off computers, turn off lights, wash lunch tables, teacher helper, board eraser, book shelf keeper, stations manager

For the most part these jobs are important and help me out.
desiree is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Star student
Old 06-13-2010, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I also have my star student do the jobs. I can never keep up with who has done what job and change them. Or somebody who is ready I let pass out or collect.
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

Old 06-13-2010, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm so glad this was a post. I have struggled for years with the hassle of student jobs. Kids love them, but it's hard to change them out each week and make sure kids have all the jobs at some time. I think next year I'll keep my line leaders and "end of line" and one classroom helper. Maybe that will make it easier!
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

smartgal33

No jobs!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

UGH, no I don't do classroom jobs b/c it's one more thing for me to organize and when a student is absent it's a pain to pick someone...

So... I have a plastic apple and on it I wrote Teacher's Assistant. Everyday I pick a new assistant and that student gets to do everything for the day. Depending on the student some have an opportunity to do a bit more than others but the basic jobs are the same; turn off the lights, line leader, RR inspector (to cut down on paper towels on the floor), pass out magic soap before lunch, collect papers, pass out papers, pass out materials, put up the new calendar (if necessary) run errands to the office, take notes to another teacher, erase the board... obviously the list is as creative as you are and my students LOVE being the assistant for the day with the apple on their desk!
smartgal33 is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsDriver

MrsDriver

I don't...
Old 06-13-2010, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

do jobs anymore per say. The kids usually insert themselves into jobs for me.

I usually do find the handful (usually about 5) that I can have do anything that I need.

I usually have 3, yes 3 doorholders. They usually insert themselves into this position. One opens the door to the outside, one opens the door to the cafeteria, and one closes the classroom door and makes sure that everyone is out of my room.

Other jobs, like lights or plugging things in are usually the students who are closest at the time.

If I have a student who has been misbehaving that normally does something for me, I just simply tell them that today they are not allowed to do anything because they are not responsible. Someone always jumps in to be the replacement.

Amazingly, with this no-system system I have had less arguments then when I did assign jobs.

stretchberry

Me, too, Ms. SB!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
I do them, but I only do it for things that will really help ME. I don't do it for them, if that makes sense.
Me, too, Ms. SB! BUT, I don't feel bad about it because they love doing them.

I have them keep their jobs for a whole grading period, so we can remember who does what, they know what to do (without continually having to train someone), and I don't have to deal with it very often.

I do have them fill out a jobs list on which they tell me which job they would most like, second choice, third choice, etc. I pick someone who wants the job and would be good at it. One of the jobs is "sub" in case someone needs help or is absent.

Those who don't get a job are on vacation. I rotate my vacationing students weekly as line leaders, so they sort of get a job anyway.

I find I always need to assign seats on the rug. It just solves so many problems.
stretchberry is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 06-13-2010, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have the daily Special Helper who does things like be in charge of the lunch basket, turn on lights, do general jobs. I also have an Engine and a Caboose. The Engine takes us to wherever we're going and the Caboose turns off the lights and closes the door. All these jobs change every day.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

Happy Knitter

Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I don't have assigned class jobs. I have table captains and then an overall class helper. My kids do almost all of the jobs in the classroom, but I don't have a job assignments board or anything. I just haven't had a need for it.
Happy Knitter is offline   Reply With Quote

lakey

Old 06-13-2010, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

This year I had 2 helpers for a week. They were the leader and caboose and then did any other jobs that needed to be done for the week.
lakey is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

I nixed jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

when I moved from 3rd to 6th, sort of. I went to a rotation for table washers in the cafeteria, each student had a day of the week. Other jobs just sort of happened, the one that was available did whatever needed to be done. I don't have hard and fast rules either- I teach my students to be proactive and make the right decision for the situation, so I want them to look and see when they need to step up and handle something. To me, it goes along with my "I'm not going to think for you" attitude.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

toshiracat

Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I assigned jobs to each student and rotated them daily for years, but I finally got tired of tracking who did what and coming up with enough to do to keep everyone busy. For the last few years I've done 2 weekly helpers. I purchase cut-outs that match my theme for the year, put a student name on each one, laminate, hole punch and put them on 2 large rings (one for boys, one for girls). Names are rotated each Friday. The helpers run any errands I need and help with any small tasks that might need done. We do a team tidy at the end of the day to keep the room in order - each group is assigned a quadrant of the room to clean up. This seems to work well and I'll be using the same system next year.
toshiracat is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to not have helpers - not daily, not weekly, not alphabetically. I'm thinking that I'll use that as one more motivation to promote good behavior. I teach 3rd and they're always wanting to help do something, so I can see it being a huge tool to say, "Laurel, since you're sitting so quietly like you're supposed to be, would you like to feed the hermit crabs?" or "Billy, since you did so well walking in a straight line earlier, would you please run an errand for me?"

If that doesn't work, I can go to my old pattern of changing 10 jobs every week, but something tells me this could work. Has anyone else tried that?
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. C

jobs
Old 06-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I do not do assigned jobs anymore - like others, it was just one more thing for me to manage. Thirty seconds, is thirty seconds and each is precious with all that is on our plates. I have used it as motivation, but have also used it as a break, too. I have some students who have sensory issues and when I see they are getting restless, a walk down the hall to deliver something or moving a heavier basket of books to get a bit of input in their body can be helpful.

Good luck and like you say, you can always go back.
Mrs. C is offline   Reply With Quote

chery

I use my student of the day
Old 06-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I use my Student of the Day for all jobs within the day. If they don;t want to do it they can choose someone else or get a helper. This works out really well as everyone gets a chance to be the kid of the day, and I don't have to remember or remind students of their jobs. Everyone really looks forward to being the student of the day (I have never had a student out sick on the day their name comes up!) and they each get a chance around once a month.
chery is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

"....I can see it being a huge tool to say, "Laurel, since you're sitting so quietly like you're supposed to be, would you like to feed the hermit crabs?" or "Billy, since you did so well walking in a straight line earlier, would you please run an errand for me?"

If that doesn't work, I can go to my old pattern of changing 10 jobs every week, but something tells me this could work. Has anyone else tried that?"

Yep, I've given out chips throughout the day - for exemplary behavior or stand-out academics, and then when I needed something done/a line leader/whatever, they could trade in a chip for the privilege. (And if I ran out of things to do, anyone who had a chip left at the end of the day could trade it in for a sticker.) The kids loved it!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

LonghornKate

Jobs...
Old 06-14-2010, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I didn't read all the replies, so maybe someone already said this, but...

Every kid in my class has a job, and they keep it the entire year. I have them apply for jobs the first week, as part of our character traits reading focus, and then I assign them one of their first three choices. They get the job based on how qualified they showed me they were -- for example, the students who apply for telephone operator might say, "I have a clear speaking voice. I'm bilingual. I do this job at my house, so I have prior experience."

The fact that they apply for the job and "earn" the position makes them want to keep it. Then I don't have to deal with changing pocket charts or anything, but the jobs get done, and the kids are invested in our classroom. Granted, I teach upper elementary, but I think it could work for younger grades too.
LonghornKate is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Quote:
I do have a couple of others just to avoid arguments and place loud kids where I want them - line leaders, etc. I keep it simple, and keep myself in mind, as selfish as it may be.
I hear that!
I have a small combo class and need more help than one helper/day.

The person who does our pledges, calendar and passes out papers for that day. (This person is chosen daily by pulling a stick with their name on it.)
line leader
clean lunch tables
clean tables after snack
clean floor/take care of chairs after snack
refrigerator person empties the ref. on Friday. (I heat up lunches each day.)

I've been using clothes pins with names and moving them around a laminated page each week. It's not a pain, unless somebody knocks the pins. I'm going to use a pocket chart this year and just move the names down one space at the beginning of each week. Not everybody will have a job each week.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

k3teacher

no assigned jobs...
Old 06-14-2010, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Instead I just ask for volunteers or for the attendance I just go around the room and pick someone. We don't have "line leaders" exactly. The ones who take forever in the restroom for our restroom/drink breaks are the ones first in line For recess/lunch we do ABC order so there is no fighting about who gets out to recess first. This also helps keep track of their lunch boxes, because they set them down right in their ABC line and know where to get them.
k3teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

janicepet

Classroom Jobs
Old 06-14-2010, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I choose one helper each day and he/she does everything for the day. If they need help they can choose a friend. (I go in alphabetical order when choosing a student for the day.) This works out very well for me.
janicepet is offline   Reply With Quote

CountryJo

That's an interesting concept...
Old 06-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I've always had jobs and like everyone else hated to be constantly changing them as I lose track of who has and hasn't had a certain job. Maybe NOT doing jobs is the answer. I'll need to mull this one over before I give it a shot.
CountryJo is offline   Reply With Quote

betsyb

classroom jobs
Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

I don't assign jobs either. I do get lots of student help throughout the day. No need for a doorholder, in my opinion. Everyone can hold the door for themselves. I pick people that are ready for the lesson to pass out papers, etc. I save my most competent third graders for more challenging jobs. I make sure everyone gets lots of chances to help. This has worked for me for many years now.
betsyb is offline   Reply With Quote

youseemesmile

I teach 5th...
Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

and my Star Student of the Week handles ALL of the responsibilities as needed.
youseemesmile is offline   Reply With Quote

DragonLady09

We do it by the week.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Our VIPs are assigned as our helpers. We have 1 girl and 1 boy. I choose mine in alphabetical order so they always know when it's their turn. I can choose between them to do the jobs. If one is absent, then the previous week's VIP automatically takes over. By the end of the year, I don't have to look on the list, they tell me who's next. If the VIP has a behavior issue, he/she loses the position for the rest of the day. I've never taken it for the rest of the week (except on Friday )
DragonLady09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Random

Old 06-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

My kids are seated in groups of four, and each one has a letter (A, B, C or D). I rotate jobs weekly between these four people. This is the first year that I have table points, since I have some children with behaviour problems who need that kind of motivation, so these are my jobs this year:

- materials manager (picks up/puts away manipulatives, textbooks, paper, etc for the group)
- inspector (checks homework for the group, makes sure floor and desktops are clean before recess or after activities)
- points manager (adds points to the whiteboard for the group)
- clue manager (trades in points for clues, tracks clues and the group's guesses, submits answer to the teacher - 10 table points give a clue, after 10 clues the children can figure out the mystery number to win a prize from the prizebox)

I call kids to line up either by table or alphabetically, so I don't really have line leaders. For other jobs (setting up the Smartboard, holding the doors, bringing in attendance, etc) I just ask for volunteers. We all pitch in to clean up at the end of the day...once groups have tidied up and been inspected, I ask all children to pick up X number of items from around the classroom. Then children stack their chairs, collect their backpacks and sit on their desks. I dismiss one table at a time right after the bell, and no one gets dismissed until the classroom is tidy. Works for me!
Random is offline   Reply With Quote

rasgrade1

Old 06-14-2010, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I have a Busy Bee every day. They do any jobs that need to be done and get to either be the line leader or the caboose. They get to take a small stuffed bee home at night and write in the journal about what they did with the Bee overnight.
rasgrade1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hipmom

Hipmom

classroom helpers
Old 06-14-2010, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

In my kindergarten class, I choose helpers on Mondays. I have line leader, chosen alphabetically, caboose (anyone), trash can (anyone in after school care), table helpers (rotate around the table). The table helpers pass out and take up materials and papers. It is great having table helpers especially at the end of the day when you are trying to get kids ready to go home and folders need to be passed out.

AlohaTeacher

Gotta have them
Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Every 6th grader in my class has a job. They all do the stuff I used to do after they went home. From empyting the pencil sharpener to Windexing the sink. I get lots of comments from other teachers on the cleanliness of my room. I say "I have great helpers." My students take a lot of pride keeping OUR room tidy.
AlohaTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

elisab1963

Jobs
Old 06-15-2010, 01:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

Every student in my room has at least one job because we have a token economy and they have to have a way to earn tickets. This is the only way they can buy the essentials in the classroom. I believe it helps students learn how to be responsible and be a good citizen.
elisab1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

cincyteacher

I did, then didn't, this year I will again
Old 06-15-2010, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Ok, a couple years ago I taught fifth. The students were assigned numbers and I had numbered smiley face cutouts that I stuck to the whiteboard with a magnet. The student with that number was my helper for the week. And they did everything. At the end of the week I rewarded them with a ticket that went towards a drawing in our class candy treasure chest. At the beginning of the year I randomly pulled the numbered and wrote them down in my plan book so I wouldn't forget. At the time I had four classes, so it worked out great that I didn't have to pick a new helper for each class. Recently I taught 6 and 7th grade and didn't really need a helper. This year and last I taught fourth (boy I get around hahaha!) Those students were so desperate to do anything but sit down. And I always had to same students begging to help with something. So I'm going to go back to the weekly helper thing to see if that helps me help them.
cincyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

lovegolf

Alphabetical Order
Old 06-15-2010, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I have 4 jobs that I change each week and it is in alpabetical order. I will probably go to three jobs, because I did not need all of the help. That way each child will get an opportunity to be my main helper at least once during the school year. This has worked out fine for me in my classroom.
lovegolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Karyn3rd

no jobs
Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I don't do class jobs. I have my students line up in alphabetical order and this rotates weekly. The leader simply moves to the back of the line at the end of the week. The second person in line always holds any door we walk through. I also have a 1 minute clean up time at the end over every day. All students help during this time. I approach it like we are all members of our classroom community so we all pitch in to help.
Karyn3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

behrens

classroom jobs
Old 06-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

No, I don't do jobs because I don't like having to keep track of who did what job. (Can you tell that I'm not the most organized). Instead at the end of the day, we all clean up. I tell them that to run errands (to the office or custodian) for me, they have to earn it -- I only ask students that demonstrate responsibility. WHen I need something special done - the library checked, I ask for volunteers. This works well for me.
behrens is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Combo of K3Teacher and Behrens
Old 06-16-2010, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

My kids like to help and they 'do jobs' but I do not ASSIGN jobs for the day or week. We work as a community and I may choose anyone who is ready, available and willing to do any job when needed. I have to be conscientious to not simply pick the same reliables all the time, but there is an 'earn it' factor. Those who clown in the hallway, won't get picked to run errands. General expectation is that if you want to get picked -- be taking care of business.

Sometimes I may 'really sell' something, such as "I need three human vacuums to get the floor picked up" and actually award a prize. Other times, it's a whole class team effort. I like how they are learning useful things from one another such as setting up and starting up the laptop/s. I strive for logical, reasonable, 'community' service. First one out for a fire drill -- lead the way. Second one out -- hold the door for everyone else. Last one out of the classroom make sure the lights are off and the door is closed. I can't stand squabbles over who does what. The whole idea is to help. Arguing doesn't help -- it hinders.

Big pet peeve: Soap captains! We don't have soap in the lavs -- teachers take their own. I've heard kids from other classes, "NOOOOO! I'MMMMM the soap captain." And those power-trippin' captains squirt out that soap like they bought it with their own money. Think of the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld. "No soap for you!!!" I expect one of the first in to put the soap on the sing, everyone use an appropriate amount, and the last one out be sure to bring it out. When they waste it or lose it -- everyone chips in 5 cents of classroom cash to replace it. After all -- soap doesn't grow on trees.

Oh, I think most of the other teachers at my school do have assigned helpers and it seems to work well for them.
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

tammyscott32

This is what I do
Old 06-17-2010, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I don't have a job chart because I can't keep up with it. I put my students in ABC order at the beginning of the year in line. My line rotate each day if you were at the front of the line Monday you are now at the end the students get in the right order in line everyday if you are at the front of the line it is your day. That means you are the class helper for that day and you can pick a friend to help you with your chores.

Ex: I'm using a class of 5 (first day) Monday This is how the children is in line, so it is Beth day she does all the chores and can pick friends to help
Beth Adam, Valerie Campbell , Ginger Hampton, Mike Carter, Susan Wilson
Tuesday
Beth goes to the end of the line and Valerie steps up to the front
Wednesday-Valerie goes to the end of the line Ginger steps to front, and now Beth is back in front of Valerie

The line rotate all year so you don't have worry about someone saying Bob skipped me, and about the third week of school the students are telling you who day it is
tammyscott32 is offline   Reply With Quote

bfun

Love student jobs!! None of my time.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

I made a small white circle on a slightly larger blue circle. The jobs are written with visa vi on the smaller white circle. Clothespins with student names are placed around the larger blue circle. On Friday one of the jobs is to turn the wheel just on place and all jobs have changed. On Monday the only thing I do is read through the jobs to remind them what they are doing for the week. Sometimes a student will do it while I take attendance, so I don't have to do anything.
I also only have jobs that help me maintain and manage the classroom. I also have 2 substitutes who get to do the job if someone is absent.

The jobs I can think of at the moment include pencil manager, mail manager, magnet manager, light manager, computer manager, hall manager, 2 librarians, line leader, caboose, lunch monitor, 2 substitute, and message manager. (I am sure there are some I am not thinking of - other students are on vacation)

Students not being helpful get fired and a substitute takes their place. The other students give them some grief for getting fired so they try to remember to do their jobs, and friends help friends remember. (I rarely have to say anything other than it is clean up time and they get to work at the end of the day closing down the classroom.)
bfun is offline   Reply With Quote

oldnewbie

Changed mid year
Old 06-20-2010, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I did have a whole slew of jobs at the beginning of the year, but like many of you, I could not recall who did what, or the person was absent, etc.

Toward late spring, I nixed all of that, and had 2 people, 1 boy and 1 girl. They were responsible for all tasks for the week.

Also, I did not have a door holder. I taught the students how to hold the door open for the person behind them (vs going blindly in a door and not being conscious of the person behind them, which irks me personally to no end when at a store!)
oldnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

queenmom09

Old 06-20-2010, 04:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

I don't have a classroom job chart. Each day I choose a leader from a list...and they are the line leader, pass out milk, run errands, do calendar tasks, etc. I then keep an eye out for who is doing their "job" during literacy time and math time and the first time we leave the room to go somewhere, I choose a "caboose" to be at the end of the line. It makes being at the end of the line a coveted job! The caboose is in charge of making sure everyone stays caught up with the group, they get to pick someone to sit by at lunch, and they pass out napkins at snack time. This has worked really well for me...

I found the helper chart with many jobs cumbersome to manage and remember who is to do what, plus I need the wall space to put up my word wall, CAFE chart, ABC charts, I-charts for Daily 5, etc...

I did use popsicle sticks with student names and chose one each day to be the leader, but I had a few kids over the year that would make sure their name was in the cup to be chosen and would move most of the other kids to the cup that had already had a turn.... sneaky kids!
queenmom09 is offline   Reply With Quote

missbrooks

I Realize this is an OLD topic...
Old 06-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

I really liked your idea about applying for jobs. I have about 10 jobs and rotate the kids MONTHLY....I usually remember who has what job by the time they switch them! I have these jobs now:

Caboose
Preacher (prayers)
Green Thumb (for watering plants)
Messenger x 2
Gym Equipment x 2
Calendar

What others do you use?
missbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote