Help

ARCHIVE

Meeting - Long

>

Socks

Meeting - Long
Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just got an email from my principal that says a parent requested a meeting with her on Friday while I was out. The meeting is set up for tomorrow morning at 8:30, the students are already in the room at that time. Tomorrow also happens to be our big International Fair which starts at 9am. The parent did not request me to be there but she said she was letting me know in case I'd like to participate. She said she didn't know what the meeting is about.

This kid has been a pain in the neck all year long and I've been in contact with his parents many times to discuss the areas in which he needs to improve. He's super smart but sooooooooooo immature. He's on a behavior plan right now (which I avoid at all costs!) because I'm tired of telling him 50 times to complete his morning and afternoon routines. I can't tell you how many homework assignments aren't done because "he didn't bring home his book". Every other kid can hear me when I say, "take out your book and put it in your folder", why can't he? The rest of the plan focuses on him keeping his body, mouth, and brain focused during lessons. He's constantly moving around (to the point where others could get hurt), talking, and not paying attention. He never knows what's going on.

So, my question to you... would you go to this meeting? They'd put someone in my room when it was time for me to go but I don't know how long it would last and I wanted to talk to my students about the fair before I started sending them down to man our booth. Part of me thinks I should be there just in case but another part of me wants to stay far away. I don't know...

Thanks for your input!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 06-13-2010, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think I would want to be at that meeting. Anyway to schedule it for 8 or for 9 (while kids are at fair- you could slip away for a bit?)
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

klh2

Definitely
Old 06-13-2010, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If at all possible, try to be at that meeting. If the parent was coming to compliment you and thank you for your support, the parent would have contacted you first. Best of luck.
klh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ

try to go
Old 06-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you can get coverage, and your principal invited you, I would go. This way you are there to defend yourself, which, unfortunately, it sounds like you might need to do. Bring all the documentation you have re: the interventions you have put in place this year for this student. Good luck- I'll be sending positive thoughts your way!
MrsJ is offline   Reply With Quote

desiree

If they didn't request your presence.....
Old 06-13-2010, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't go. Who knows, maybe they just want to discuss with the principal suggestions for a teacher for next year. Or......maybe they want to complain, which could ruin your entire day and have an effect on the other students' festival. It sounds like you've had plenty of communication with them throughout the year. Enjoy your day with your students during their special event!! You'll find out soon enough what they wanted.

desiree is offline   Reply With Quote

toshiracat

Old 06-13-2010, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would go, and I agree with Mrs. J, bring all documentation you have on the efforts you have made with this student. It's better to be prepared and not need the information than to go in without "proof" of what you have tried to help this child be successful. Best of luck!
toshiracat is offline   Reply With Quote

ecse129

Old 06-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I agree that if they didn't invite you themselves, I wouldn't go. If they are unhappy with you, showing up at the meeting (in their mind uninvited) could only make things worse. Instead I would find a time to meet with the principal beforehand and show them what you have already done with the child and what your concerns are. That way the principal is ready for the meeting and can help voice your concerns even if you are not there. Like someone else said, you wouldn't want the meeting to ruin your day and your students' day. You have a class full of other students to worry about. This student has clearly already taken up a lot of your time and effort this year, don't let it cause any further problems.
ecse129 is offline   Reply With Quote

prec0ci0us

Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you decide not to attend I would try to meet with the principal before hand and then have all the documention at your fingertips incase you are unexpectedly asked to attend. It might be that the parent is assuming that you will be in attendence and when you don't show up you might be called down to attend.
prec0ci0us is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Go to the meeting with the biggest smile you can muster and every little bit of information you have and this child.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote