Help

ARCHIVE

Canada and Latin America

>

sunshinee

Canada and Latin America
Old 06-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching sixth grade for the first time. Does anyone have some helpful websites, materials, ideas for teaching Canada and Latin America? I honestly do not know ANYTHING to add to these subjects........I don't think we ever learned anything about this when I was in school.

sunshinee is offline   Reply With Quote

cheerio

Old 06-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Have you tried looking at the teacher resource/student text? That might be a good place to start.....what exactly are you supposed to be teaching about Canada? What are the outcomes? I am Canadian and could possibly help you find websites etc but I need to know more specifically what you are looking for

Last edited by cheerio; 06-13-2010 at 08:18 PM..
cheerio is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2chat

Old 06-13-2010, 08:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It's sad to think you wouldn't learn anything about Canada in school. We certainly learn plenty about the US.

There are a bunch of us Canucks here at PT who I'm sure would be happy to give you ideas if you have more specific questions. You could maybe post on the Canada board and set up a pen pal class in Canada. It's a pretty huge country that is very diverse in climate and culture. I'm pretty sure each Province and Territory has a tourism website, which would give some basic information about each area. I live in BC. Here is a link for Tourism BC http://www.hellobc.com/
Enchanted Learning has a section on Canada that might give you some ideas as well - http://www.enchantedlearning.com/school/Canada/

HTH
luv2chat is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teachkids

mneumonic for countries
Old 06-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"My Gosh How Eating Nachos Causes Pain" is a mneumonic for the Spanish-speaking countries in Central America (Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama). It works great if you need the kids to locate the countries, but it does miss Beliz where the official language is English.

"Very Creative Elephants Paint Brown Cars And Purple Umbrellas" works the same way for the Spanish-speaking countries in South America. (Venezuela, Columbia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay) There are other countries down there, but this will get a big chunk of them.

What do you need to teach about these regions? Ancient people groups? Culture? History?
luv2teachkids is offline   Reply With Quote

sunshinee

Guess I better find out.......
Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hey Canadians......nothing against Canada......plan to visit some day.

When I should have been learning about your country some 30 years ago I believe the coaches that were teaching history and geography were just trying to get us in and out as quickly and quietly as possible. I look forward to learning along with my students. (I need to find out just exactly what it is I am teaching about the subjects.)

Thanks for the sites and ideas thus far. 8-)

sunshinee is offline   Reply With Quote