Help

Substitute Teachers

Full moon+sub job=adult beverage

>

mooba1

Full moon+sub job=adult beverage
Old 11-12-2019, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Today’s job was in Sped, which normally goes pretty smoothly for the most part; however, today had a more of a three-ring circus feel.

Fortunately, I know all of these kids pretty well, so it could’ve been a LOT worse. My first group featured a girl with pretty serious anger issues, a pot-stirrer, a student who enjoys egging on both Angry Girl and Pot-Stirrer, and two fairly quiet students.

Right away, AG and PS play their roles, with EggMan joining in to add to the fun. I keep them all separated, but soon AG loses it, sweeping everything off her desk, breaking her pencil and crayons, and informing me she isn’t “going to do this stupid work”. Fine. I offer her a break, and things calm down somewhat. We continue working.

Now it’s time to walk this group back to their classrooms. AG has had a break, completed her work, and is in the process of cleaning up the mess from her fit-throwing episode. I have everyone else lined up, and we’re just waiting for AG to gather the final crayons.

Oh, look who’s at the door! It’s Angry Boy. He’s run out of his classroom (he has an unfamiliar sub), and has come to the Sped classroom to calm down (a good choice). He wants to talk to me about it, but I need to clear the room before AG blows up again, so I grab a teacher from across the hall and pretty much tell her she has to watch AB just long enough for me to get the others back to class. She sees the desperation in my eyes and steps in to watch AB.

By the time I return, one of the Sped aides is reading the riot act to AB for running from his gen ed classroom, and is walking him back to class. Great, now I can go get my next group. Thankfully, they are very cooperative and we get some work done. A small math group after that goes well, too.

Now it’s time for my second math group, which includes a very sweet, cooperative boy and a frankly unlikeable student. Unlikeable Student has a very unpleasant odor today, and despite him telling me I’m “a bad teacher”, a “fool”, and that he isn’t going to do any work, I feel compassion for him. Well, a little.

His interaction consists mostly of him saying, “You’re a bad teacher”, “I’m no dummy”, “I’m not doing any of that”, and “My brother’s going to come after you”. I don’t react, but instead do my broken record routine. Eventually he works two problems.

Finally, it’s time to take these students back to class, and for me to pick up another group. Imagine my surprise when I return to the room to find the door locked. Fabulous. Unlikeable Student has swiped the magnet from the doorframe, so I have to go to another classroom to call the front office so that someone will come down with a master key.

I pick up my next group, which features the characters from my first group. Same routine with AG, PS, and EggMan. This time, AG really loses it, growling and lifting a chair over her head to throw it at someONE or someTHING. She’s eyeing both the teacher computer and a nearby student. This might be my finest hour, as I negotiate with this little terrorist and get her to de-escalate without further incident. We finish our work,and now I can go after Unlikeable Student and get the door magnet back.

When I ask US what he did with the door magnet, he says, “I ain’t got it”. I say, “I didn’t ask you if you had it. I asked you what you did with it”. He repeats his line, I repeat mine. I then say, “Either you tell me what you did with the magnet, or we’re going to talk to Mrs. Principal. Your choice”. What do you know, he pulled it out of his pocket and put it in my hand.

After that, it was push-in to a few classrooms, which were all showing the effects of a full moon combined with a cold front. Good times.

If you read this far, thank you for listening. I don’t normally vent here, but It. Was. A. Day.

Last edited by mooba1; 11-13-2019 at 02:25 PM..
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-13-2019, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read all the way. Bless you! And you definitely earned your beverage!!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Oh, my!
Old 11-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hope you had at least two! It sounds like you handled so many situations with skill and professionalism. And I greatly enjoyed your writing- maybe you and Angelo can team up to write a book!

Subs who are as skilled as you are worth their weight in gold. Bottoms up!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 11-13-2019, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You can sub for me ANYtime!
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 11-14-2019, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Those adult beverages come in handy don’t they
You had some day !!

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 11-14-2019, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sounds like you had some of the ones I had on Monday.

Monday being veterans day means only one school district is in session. I'm lucky enough to snag a job. But what a job; roughly half the teachers are out so that means coverages during planning periods and splitting classes. So I have 37 students including the emotional support students. The block with them in it sounds like a rain forest jungle with all the random animal noises.

I had paranoid boy, thinks everyone is talking about him, runs over and confronts the other students.
Anime girl, all she did was draw anime.
ODD boy, oppositional/defiant disorder boy, did what he wanted, ignored me most of the time unless it was to get in my face and tell me how something wasn't fair (wasn't what he wanted or he didn't benefit from).
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Learn Today

Old 11-16-2019, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

You handled things better that I would have!
Learn Today is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 11-16-2019, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you all for your responses. I feel like this board is the Cheers Bar of PT.

Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name
And they’re always glad you came;

You want to be where you can see
Our troubles are all the same;
You want to be where everybody knows your name.

Did anyone else besides me sing along as you read the words?

SubMan, I cannot top your Very Bad Day. My hat is off to you!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote