Help

Substitute Teachers

Right decision

>

Smores18

Right decision
Old 11-23-2019, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So in first grade the other day, I was having a good day. Then the counselor came in to give the kids a 45 minute talk about emotions. I had to stay-sat off to side. Well the kids were rude, loud, and obnoxious and of course the inevitable," You never act this way when your teacher is here"! Well they kept up so at a time where she was fooling with lap top I quietly walked up and asked her if she minded if I quieted them. I told her I was wary in asking because I did not want to undermine her. She said,"Go ahead." So I did and they were quiet the rest of the time. I told the teacher next store what had happened and she said it sounded fine. Also wrote their teacher about it. Did I make the right decision?

Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

In a word...
Old 11-23-2019, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes! I always stay in guest presentations because they are my kids that day. I usually review my expectations so both the kids and presenter know the score. There have been times when I have felt sorry for the kids because the presenter was unskilled but we still have minimum requirements.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-25-2019, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You made the right decision. A 45 minute talk to first graders sounds a bit long. Attention spans at that grade level are short, and seem to be getting shorter all the time. Sitting through a session that long can be difficult for them.

I've met some wonderful counselors and school social workers, but have noticed that they often don't have the classroom skills teachers do. When they come in to do long presentations, they often really struggle to keep the attention of everyone.

I know I'm getting a little off-topic, but I'll never forget a presentation for 10th graders from my high school counselor back in the 1970s. At the beginning of the year, each counselor had a large group session with his or her students that lasted about a half hour. My counselor was a nice person, but she was totally overwhelmed being in a group that size. She looked very uncomfortable, and it must have been a painful experience for her.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

All part of the job...
Old 11-26-2019, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First off, YES, you definitely were right to step in!

As the "teacher of record" for the day, it is part of your job to maintain order in the classroom. You really don't have to ask permission. In fact, the students will automatically behave better if they know you are actively monitoring. Just do it smoothly and discretely (using your proximity rather than your voice) so you don't disrupt the presentation.

Oftentimes, I find this directive in the lesson plans themselves. The LP will list the visitor presentation in the schedule, along with instructions for me to stay in the classroom and manage the students during that time.

Bear in mind, you are also doing the visitor a huge service. As another post mentioned, these visitors (whether counselors, creative arts teachers, or the like) usually do not have adequate classroom management skills. A class of first graders will pick up on that and take advantage. They will quickly become distracted and disruptive.

I recently was subbing for a 1st grade class where the counselor came to do a similar presentation (on being kind to others). I simply floated about the room, giving certain students "the look." I also had prepped the class beforehand, advising them to be quiet and respectful for the counselor. I told the class I'd be present and tracking them with "team points." That's all it took.

You don't have to ask permission to do your job. If you want to mention to the visitor that you'll be present as "support," that's fine. Whether the visitor knows it or not, you are helping them succeed and making their life much easier.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 11-26-2019 at 12:53 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote