Help

Substitute Teachers

I'm a littled ticked right now

>

snazzyjazzy

I'm a littled ticked right now
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a sub and try to work every day. I was checking Aesop and noticed that one of the pre-k teachers who teaches bilingual pre-kindergarten needed a sub for Thursday. I am not bilingual but there are very few bilingual subs in my district. I subbed for her several times last year and the kids knew both Spanish and English. I texted her and asked if she would like for me to sub for her on Thursday. She replied back and said yes and also asked if I was available tomorrow. I told her I was and she told me thank you and that she would put it in the system. Absences get approval from admin so sometimes it takes a little while. I turned down 5 other jobs for tomorrow. I get a text at 8 pm that the teacher gave my job for tomorrow to another person. Now I dont have a job for tomorrow and there is nothing available. Hopefully something will pop up in the morning.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 12-01-2019, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would be ticked too! Chances are something will turn up for the morning!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 12-02-2019, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is why I dislike “save the date” assignments. I have a couple of teachers that always ask if I am available, then wait until the night before the absence to put it in, and then they are ticked at me for not being available.

I tell them if you ask me today about a future date I might not be available tomorrow for that assignment. My situation is such that I have to work a full day every day. Half days and non-work days are luxuries I can’t afford.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 12-02-2019, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is there a reason you didn't just pick up the job when you saw it on Aesop?
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

snazzyjazzy

YayaSub
Old 12-02-2019, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I picked up her avsence for Thursday in Aesop but today's had to get approved by admin before any subs could see it. Teachers usually put in their preferred sub's name (ex: if they already have someone lined up) and admin approves it for that sub or it just gets posted for anyone.

Aillya

Old 12-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If her reason for being absent had simply changed and she was no longer absent, I could understand that. Sometimes things happen. But giving it to someone else after she said she'd put you in for the job is just so terrible honestly. Sometimes it's hard for people with steady paychecks to get in the perspective of someone who's literally earning money day by day. They legit just don't get it sometimes, and it's infuriating. Especially to be told at 8, when most jobs are already taken up for the night. Basically just screwing someone out of money.

In some places, subs actually get insured against BS like that. My Canadian friend was telling me about how they're protected from that sort of stuff up there. Dunno how true it is, but I do know it's not the case where I live. Sucks that you got burned, hope you found something else and maybe keep that person's name on your be-wary-of list for next time. Personally if someone burned me like that, I wouldn't sub for them again, in the same way that I doubt they'd call me again if I promised to be there for them on Wednesday but canceled at the last minute because a better job came along.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

YayaSub

Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ah, got it now. In my opinion that was unprofessional of her. I agree that I would not want to sub for her in the future if she really just did change her mind after agreeing to have you come today. Do you happen to know who she got instead and whether there was a valid reason to prefer that sub? I suppose she just didn't think of how it affected you financially. Especially the day after a holiday break, work is scarce for those who wish to work.

snazzyjazzy

Subman
Old 12-02-2019, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I hate the save the date also or "are you available on x date, I may need you". I have a few teachersthat will ask me and then not put it in until the day before, but they are teachers that I sub a lot for. I used to live right down the street from the sub but had to move. I told the school that I am no longer available for half days.

snazzyjazzy

Aillya
Old 12-02-2019, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

this teacher doesn't think the rules apply to her and she is very catty. She loves getting others in trouble. She prefers a bilingual sub (which I understand) but she cost me a day of income because I wasnt able to get another job.

In my district, if a sub shows up and the teacher doesnt need them or there isnt a position for them, they receive half of their sub pay.

snazzyjazzy

YayaSub
Old 12-02-2019, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't know who she got for sure but I think I know. I will find out for sure tomorrow. I hate that I lost a day of income today just because she got someone "better". Teachers are allowed to select their subs but I have never had one do this before. I am debating about mentioning it to the principal tomorrow. Im also thinking about offering my Thursday job to her other sub if I see her tomorrow.

broomrider

I hope you find a
Old 12-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

non-confrontational way to let this teacher know that based on her request you turned down work to be available for her. When her assignment didn't come through it was painful because there will shortly be two weeks with no available work and another week before and after vacation with historically little opportunities for jobs.

Since you are dependent on daily work for survival it is important to be able to depend on the the requests of others.

Something like that, perhaps.

Of course, she may be so embarrassed that she doesn't want to have you in her classroom again because of her own guilt. You never can tell.

I wouldn't hand off jobs to others without going through the assigning teacher, that can really get you in trouble. And it has to be dropped and reassigned through the program which can lead to complications. It could also be seen as you abandoning a job.

Why punish yourself if you don't like the teacher anymore. Just don't accept jobs in her room in the future.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-03-2019, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I always tell them to put it in Aesop. If they don't, I remind them. I don't consider it my job until it is in Aesop with the confirmation number. Also helps me keep track of jobs. It hasn't happened to me, but if they STILL didn't put it in Aesop, and it came up, I would just say that I didn't think they needed me (or I thought someone else got it), so I took a different job. Maybe something about needing to work everyday. She could have not entered it right and Aesop gave it to someone else. You don't know until it's too late. That's what I would do.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Newtosubbing

Its Even Worse In My District
Old 12-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

You have my sympathy about loosing a job and the day's pay that goes with it.

Here in my district teachers have total control over who subs for them. Several times I've been told (in confidence by a principal!) the teacher canceled a job I was scheduled and then reentered it so she could give it to a "friend". Unfortunately you can't even complain about it because if you do the result will be a banning from the district.

All in all very frustrating and disheartening especially since they keep telling the subs how much they need us!
Newtosubbing is offline   Reply With Quote

niceday7

Old 12-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I can't tell you the number of times things have messed up along lines similar to what you described and as a result i lost a days pay.

It hurts bad.
niceday7 is offline   Reply With Quote

snazzyjazzy

Quick update
Old 12-03-2019, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I saw the teacher today and she didn't say anything about Thursday. I saw her para and told her that I would be working with her in the teacher's class. Her reply was "Oh Boy", I asked why and she said that the kids could barely understand simple commands in English so it was going to be a long day. I noticed at dismissal that all of her students had "Christmas goody bags". I thought it was little early since we still have 13 days before break. She informed the principal last night by text that today was her last day. They are trying to find a long term biligual sub until they can hire someone so I dont know if I will even sub there on Thursday.

YayaSub

Old 12-03-2019, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Wow. I don't know if there's more to the story, but this lady sounds so unprofessional and flighty. Those poor kids. It's unlikely they can replace her quickly, and if the kids understand little English, this sounds like a disaster of an assignment.

Aillya

Old 12-04-2019, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Wow, she informed her principal by text that it was her last day? Didn't even give them a two weeks notice to find a replacement or a long term sub? Okay. Now it all makes sense. Barring some unforeseen health complication or something, that's just unprofessional as hell. At least now you can take solace in the fact that she's like this with everyone.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-04-2019, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I find it strange that admin has to approve absences before they go to Aesop. We didn't have to jump through that hoop when I was a teacher. I wonder if that admin has micromanaging issues. I wouldn't want to work there, either, if that is true. Teachers should be colleagues, not subordinates.

bodhimom

Old 12-04-2019, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I don't think I would complain to the principal about anything, unless it was a safety issue.