Help

Substitute Teachers

This is so dumb

>

snazzyjazzy

This is so dumb
Old 12-08-2019, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been a substitute in my district for 3 years. The first two years, specials teachers would cover lunch duty and teachers would cover recess duty. Everyone had after school duty. This year, the admin decided that teachers would split lunch and recess duty (half of the grade level would cover lunch duty while the other half ate lunch and then flip). In the last few weeks, admin has gotten the brillant idea to make subs do both lunch and recess dury and eat their lunch during the teacher's conference. Subs are not allowed to eat with their class. Conference periods start at 8:45 and are 50 minutes long. If you have 1st conference, you are now supposed to eat at 8:45 in the morning or if you have last conference its at 2:00. Admins logic is subs don't need a conference so its not a big deal. Several subs that have been there for years are refusing to come back in January. I use my conference to organize papers, write notes to the teacher, make sure the room is neat etc, now I have to eat lunch too.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 12-08-2019, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is why it is always good to have multiple school districts. For what they pay us, it is not worth the aggravation of being treated the way you are. Who has their lunch break at 8:45? That is totally unacceptable.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 12-08-2019, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iíd refuse to go back as well.

I refuse to go to the school where the teacher was imitating me.

I refuse to go back to the school where the teacher, bundled up in a winter coat, flipped out on me for refusing to let them in a side door (to hide the fact that they were tardy, again).

I refused to accept special Ed floater positions in the district where they put them on Aesop as full days and then modify the absence to be a half day from 10 to 2; they wonder why they canít get subs.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-08-2019, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree. Vote with your feet. That's a perk of being a sub.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-09-2019, 12:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In what universe could they think that's acceptable, lol
You never even know when your planning period is gonna be until you get there. Imagine eating breakfast before work, like most people do, and then finding out your lunch period for the day is at 8:45. Yeah, okay.

Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@subman
Old 12-09-2019, 05:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yikes... that teacher trying to get into a side door doesn't seem to understand that this day in age EVERYONE needs to be either buzzed in or use their badge to get in the building.

As teachers we're not to let ANYONE in the building for obvious safety reasons.

Sorry to be harsh, but that guy shouldn't be allowed to teach if he doesn't understand the dangerous liability he's putting on others.

Sorry to hear you were put in these rotten situations. Subbing can be frustrating as hell at times.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-09-2019, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I’m so sorry, snazzy. No one should be treated with such disrespect.

What a rude awakening admin is going to have in January, when he/she looks around and wonders why no subs will work in that building, (not more than once, anyway) and the teachers are up in arms. “I have THE absolute best plan! Subs can eat lunch at 8:45 or 2:00. It’s brilliant! What could possibly go wrong? Hyuk , hyuk.”

We are not dogs**t on the bottom of anyone’s shoe, and we will NOT be abused in this manner. There are way too many good admins out there, so vote with your feet and put this school in your rearview mirror.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 12-09-2019, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My personal solution would be to eat at a normal lunch hour during instruction. I have a medical need that necessitates I eat at regular intervals. If that doesn’t work for admin, bye bye.

Last edited by Tapdancesub; 12-09-2019 at 06:44 PM..
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

I'm thinking
Old 12-09-2019, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

that many states have laws regarding how many hours worked equal getting a lunch or break as well as the spacing of such breaks.

Might be worth checking with a state office regulating and enforcing working conditions. Reports likely can be made anonymously.

Is this just one school's admin or is it a district wide policy switch? I'd think it is easier to avoid one school than a whole district. Although, I'd be willing to do it for a month or so.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote