Are the holidays a bad time for anyone else? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

Are the holidays a bad time for anyone else?

>

Aillya

Are the holidays a bad time for anyone else?
Old 12-13-2019, 07:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In terms of getting paid, I mean.

Like... holy crap dude. This month has been awful. Between Thanksgiving break eating up the first week of the pay period, and winter break eating the first two weeks of the next pay period, and then today I found out they're cutting this pay period short by a week for seemingly no reason.
If I didn't have money saved from prior long term jobs, I'd actually be screwed right now with that news, since a great deal of my work is taking place next week, but I won't even see the money for it until February.

Just wondering if anyone else gets fed up around this time of the year. It's always when I'm the lowest on funds and have to budget hardest, which sucks since I'd rather be enjoying the holidays and not thinking about this ####. Normally I enjoy my job but not around this time of the year.

Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 12-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Sorry they cut the pay period. Yeah, I always have to manage carefully this time of year and I’m forced to work in one district mainly because they pay at the end of the month and the other districts I work in move everything to the end of the next month(which I think should be illegal, you shouldn’t have to wait 7 to 8 weeks to get money you earned).

I have to work every day and today I’m at a hs I vowed I would never come back to. Then I have to do the same thing next month.

And you know the kids are at their worst this time of year, before spring break and the end of the year.

They also did not pay us for a day of paid professional development we did last month, and just moved it to this month and refused to pay us before that. And it better be on this paycheck, but of course no one will be there to talk to if it isn’t.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-13-2019, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Okay, at least I'm not the only one.

It's such a joke honestly. Like, it's hard enough to budget when you don't even know what you're gonna earn each month, but then they go and randomly cut the pay period short even though we're all still here next week anyway. Absolute bollocks. I genuinely don't know how they expect anyone to make ends meet when they pull #### like this (every other substitute I meet in this district either has a spouse who earns enough to support both of them, lives with family, or has several roommates), but then they have the gall to turn around and wonder why they're always short on subs.

Sorry you're working in a place you told yourself you'd never go back to. I definitely know the feeling. I've been taking similar jobs just because I'm not sure what the situation's gonna be like after break. It's usually very dead in terms of work in the week after winter break, so I've said yes to a few things I would've said no to under ordinary circumstances.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

I hear you.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Quote:
then they go and randomly cut the pay period short even though we're all still here next week anyway. Absolute bollocks. I genuinely don't know how they expect anyone to make ends meet when they pull #### like this (every other substitute I meet in this district either has a spouse who earns enough to support both of them, lives with family, or has several roommates), but then they have the gall to turn around and wonder why they're always short on subs.
Yep. I know what you mean.

The same thing happened in my district. They cut the pay period short by a week...out of the blue. Apparently a fiscal cost saving measure, but at our expense. You're right. It is a bad time of the year to be cutting back on the pay period. It's rough enough what with all the holidays. I appreciate the time off, but I'd rather have the option to work. Unpaid holiday breaks are the downside of this job.

BTW: There is another category of sub...those over 62 and collecting social security. It's a good job for the semi retired...helps a lot with making ends meet, but offers a lot of scheduling flexibility. You can choose how much and how often you want to work.

If you are younger and don't have another source of income, subbing would definitely be a less than ideal career choice. There are much more lucrative ways to earn a living.

You're also right about the lack of subs. To me, it's no mystery why there's a shortage. This job is no cake walk as it is, and it doesn't pay well enough or offer enough benefits to make it an attractive option for many people.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 12-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have an evening and weekend job that has vacation. I work 40 hour and take vacation pay between Christmas and New Years. Don't even miss not subbing.

I agree that subbing is an unattractive job option for many people.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 12-15-2019, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our time period is cut back a week, too. They do it every year but I always forget.

You cannot live on a sub job, even if you work every school day. Our pay went up $35 per day a couple of years ago but it's still not a sustainable income. I'm lucky that I don't need to work full-time but it seems we use all of my pay with little extra left over. Life is too expensive.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 12-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yep. Feeling it here too. Hurts most around this time of year, especially with the holidays and property taxes due in another month. Ever see that commercial with the lady trying to grab a dollar from the end of a fishing pole as an old fisherman yanks it away and laughs?
Yes that is how I feel right now. Aaand...I was just told that because the regular teacher of my most recent 2 month long-term job is coming back after break, I will not be given any additional pay for the higher rate I was promised and never received after I took the job. Apparently two months of teaching and planning wasn't long enough to meet the quota for me to get the higher rate. I was really looking forward to that extra money, but nope---nada. And to add insult to injury, I am supposed to stay in the position after break, still at the poverty rate at which they continue to pay me, and plan for the first week so the returning teacher can "shadow me" and "ease into it". Who "eased" me into it? Not a soul. Nope, I was expected to plan and teach a subject I am NOT certified in over a 2 month period after being lied to about a higher pay rate I would never receive. I went to all the building's teachers in the subject area on my own time to plan with them, I planned at home during my family time, I made my own online games for them to practice their skills, I drove in early to plan, print, and make copies. Not even a thank you from administration for any of it. At least the students were performing quite well during my time as their teacher, so that is something they can't take away from me. I had an interview before break for another position and was really hoping to put in my two weeks right before break which of course would require the returning teacher to "ease" herself in, but unfortunately for some reason the other school can't sign me on until AFTER the break....ugh... Gotta keep it positive...new year..new job...
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

AZsub

holiday pay
Old 02-18-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Last paycheck before Christmas was middle of December.

Check after holidays last week of January. I had $7.00 in my checking account.
That is typical from paying bills etc during the holidays.

Have not enjoyed the holidays in years. That goes for spring break also.
AZsub is offline   Reply With Quote