Help

Substitute Teachers

Kids borrowing school technology

>

subasaurus

Kids borrowing school technology
Old 12-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is it just me, or does having to keep track of every student laptop and/or calculator a royal pain in the (censored)?

I absolutely hate the fact that if a student damages or loses expensive school equipment it could really make us subs look bad. It's on our watch.

Sometimes students run out the door after grabbing a Chromebook without giving their names before I even have a chance to ask what they're doing or where they're headed.

Anyone else possess this same kind of fear, or am I just being paranoid?

Last edited by subasaurus; 12-06-2019 at 03:06 PM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my current school students are checked out their own Chromebook. It is awesome. It is the only school (or maybe district) that does this. The teachers have some for students to use if they don't have theirs, but nobody stresses over them getting stolen. In some classes they aren't even numbered. It is a school that has over 50% minority students, but it has been the best school I've subbed at and doesn't get the credit they deserve. They check them out if the library, like a book, at the beginning of the year, for the whole year. They take them home, etc.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 12-06-2019, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In one very small district I work for students have their own chromebooks in jr. hi. and hi. school. Parents purchase them but I'm sure if there are financial issues there are options. The neighborhood is mostly mid-upper class and higher. I have tutored some students in this district and they have their own chromebooks, they do work on them, and they turn in work on them. It's really quite interesting except when the student has to search through a bunch of tabs to find what they need. That's when I remember that I like when everything is on paper. So no worries in this district about who is responsible; the students are.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 12-07-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are 1:1 Chromebooks in grades 8-12. There are some teachers who have class sets, but those are not used when the regular teacher is out. I currently have a set locked away in my closet for a teacher who is on maternity leave.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-09-2019, 12:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to stress hard over that. I'd have kids put them all back in the charging case before the end of the period and then stand there and count them to make sure they were all there before the bell rang. Every time, though. Every single time. There was always one missing, and it was from some kid who was too lazy to put his back, so every time I'd get that "oh ####" feeling in the pit of my stomach when I saw one of those stupid things missing, only to see it on some desk in the back row. Awful feeling.

Chromebooks are legit a double edged sword. If the assignments are all on computers, then my day's gonna be uneventful and pretty easy, if not horribly boring. But the downside is being responsible for (I assume) thousands of dollars worth of STUFF. Had a student try and come in and take a chromebook out of my room at an absolutely massive school, I just told her to do that in someone else's room. "But I always get it here" Yeah okay, sorry lol, today you're gonna have to borrow your expensive tech from someone who has tenure and job security. Not tossing me under the bus for this, lmao.

Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@Aillya
Old 12-09-2019, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
every time I'd get that "oh ####" feeling in the pit of my stomach when I saw one of those stupid things missing, only to see it on some desk in the back row. Awful feeling.
That's basically me every time there's a Chromebook assignment. Makes me want to quit teaching altogether because of that.

Quote:
Yeah okay, sorry lol, today you're gonna have to borrow your expensive tech from someone who has tenure and job security. Not tossing me under the bus for this, lmao.
Lol, Amen! Preach!

mooba1

@Alliya
Old 12-09-2019, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Aillya: ďCan I get an amen?Ē

Subs on PT Sub Board: ďAMEN!!!Ē
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-09-2019, 08:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Honestly, I've never even thought to count the cromebooks. I guess I figured that if it was that important, they would have put that in the lesson plan. Most of them have their own, though. Haven't had any complaints about it, yet, anyway.
They seem to be more on-task, though, if they have to turn in a paper. I prefer teachers give assignments that have to be collected at the end of the period.

MaineSub

No... and yes
Old 12-10-2019, 04:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We have a good system for this and the sub isn't responsible for assigning laptops... we are, however, responsible for protecting school property and teaching kids responsibility. If I see a kid mishandling a laptop (that ranges from not carrying it properly to playing games when they are supposed to be working) I intervene.

I agree that a student damaging expensive school property on our watch could be something we are held accountable for... but it's all part of the job. We have to keep kids from damaging each other, too!
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I agree that a student damaging expensive school property on our watch could be something we are held accountable for... but it's all part of the job. We have to keep kids from damaging each other, too!

I'm on the fence about this one. I mean, if you're a teenager and you can't handle the simple task of using a computer or calculator, maybe you shouldn't be allowed to use one in the first place. They're old enough to know better.

Elementary level or SPED are a different story of course. But Jr/Sr kids should be held accountable for how they treat school property, not the teacher.

Just my 2 cents.

Fractured

Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If they wanted me to pay for one, they could get bent. I think Microsoft donates them to the school anyway.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-10-2019, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

They probably do because what better way to get people to buy their product in the future.

One of the aides said that she doesn't check them out for her son, anymore, because he always loses them. She said that if they are lost the parent has to pay about $200. That was actually less than I thought.

TAOEP

Old 12-10-2019, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

No, Microsoft does NOT pay for them.

As a teacher, I would be very upset if I returned to class to find expensive technology items missing or damaged. The reality is that if they are missing or damaged, they may not be replaced because of lack of funding. So I would be faced with the situation of trying to teach without all of my students having the necessary tools.

I well remember a day when one of the student laptops wasn't returned to the cart. We searched all over and were enormously relieved to find it in the student's desk.

Yes, it's a pain to keep track of equipment, but it's important. And most teachers have a fairly simple system set up to track things.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 12-11-2019, 12:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

In my state Microsoft definitely donates a lot of laptops. Bill Gates even started an alternative high school here for kids who need a last saloon stop.

Hereís why I hate being in charge of chromebooks: In my experience as a sub, kids treat chromebooks without much care or respect. They drop them, toss them and usually canít be bothered to put them away. If they do, they usually pile them up on the cart. If they put them in the cart, they usually canít be bothered to charge them or even put them facing the right way. If they are numbered, they never get put back correctly. Even making sure they are charged and in the right place can easily take me five to ten minutes. Thatís on top of the stuff Iím trying to do at the end of the day. Most teachers donít have a number assignment system because the carts usually donít belong to a classroom.
Last time I was missing one I had 39 computers and 40 slots and freaked out. I spent a long time looking for it and talked to the office who told me to talk to the teacher. She finally texted me back that one was broken and IT had it. I spent an extra half hour at school because of that. Let me know if any are missing or being fixed.

Kids play video games on them or take out their phones. I rarely see work being done on computers, whether itís middle or high school. The only thing I see kids being careful with are their own phones or computers. Iím sick of it. If they broke or stole one, that is on them to pay for it, not me or the school.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Sharing...
Old 12-11-2019, 02:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I'm on the fence about this one. I mean, if you're a teenager and you can't handle the simple task of using a computer or calculator, maybe you shouldn't be allowed to use one in the first place. They're old enough to know better.
And I don't disagree... what I left out of my comment is that I believe it's a shared responsibility with a shifting balance. As children age (or mature might be more accurate) they bear an increasing amount of the responsibility and don't need to be as closely supervised. As a crazy example, a teacher might well be expected to review the correct handling of scissors in kindergarten. I don't think we need to do that in high school, but we might still have some responsibility if we witness a high school student threatening another with scissors and don't intervene.

Unfortunately, not all parents and administrations agree with this approach. Many of our behavioral issues in the upper grades develop because we don't have enough accountability and consequences in the lower grades.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

We can't be more strict than the teacher
Old 12-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I plug them in at the end of the day, but that's all I do. I might put little effort into putting them in the correct holder, if they are numbered. Again, in my school most have their own. The kids do what they do because that's how it's done when the teacher is there. We can't be more strict than the teacher. All it does is frustrate us, when we do.

And I've never been told that anything was missing from a class I subbed in. I work with a lot of really nice, reality-based teachers, luckily. Actually, I was in the office when a teacher was going on and on about white board markers missing from the sub's day. I simply asked the secretary who the teacher was, and don't sub for her. I don't have any desire to sub for a teacher like that. They need to see the big picture, here, and that we all need to work together, and stay calm.

Last edited by bodhimom; 12-11-2019 at 10:52 AM..

snazzyjazzy

I am very fortunate
Old 01-05-2020, 11:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

In the district that I sub in, students are taught laptop responsibility starting in 1st grade. There are 3-5 laptop carts per grade level and two teachers share a cart. Each child is assigned a number in each class (so there are 2 #1s between the two classes) and that student knows there laptop better be in its correct spot or there are consequences. In three years, I haven't had any trouble with student laptops.

Teachers have the option of checking out a sub laptop in my district if they want the sub using a laptop. My third time subbing in my district, there was a laptop in the room for me (I thought it was the teacher's laptop). The teacher had left a lot of stuff to do with the laptop so I used it. I went to duty at the end of the day and when I returned, the laptop was missing. There are cameras in the hallway so I went to find an assistant principal. She and I spent about an hour looking for it in the room while we waited for the principal to get out of a meeting so we could review the cameras. The ap asked me to text the teacher to see if she came and got it. I did and the teacher said that she hadn't. I was in tears by this point because I had just started working after 4 months and could afford to replace it. We review the cameras and the technology guy came and picked it up while I was at duty. I was so relieved.
snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote