Help

Substitute Teachers

Wanna feel like a rock star

>

elepen

Wanna feel like a rock star
Old 12-25-2019, 03:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Walking into an elementary cafeteria you’ve been subbing for lately and hear your name called out from several classes. Makes you feel like a rock star

elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 12-25-2019, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The noise level is usually off the charts in the caf, so if some kids are calling my name I can't hear them.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 12-25-2019, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes. Or a kid runs up to you and yells, "Hi, Mrs. S!" and hugs you. The best.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-26-2019, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, and equally satisfying is passing classes in the hallway and having several kids say, “Hi Mrs. Mooba!” That, and the hugs along with personalized notes and pictures make it all worthwhile.

@ Subtastic: You're absolutely right, and thanks for the chuckle.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

yep...the best of all perks :)
Old 12-27-2019, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
having several kids say, “Hi Mrs. Mooba!” That, and the hugs along with personalized notes and pictures make it all worthwhile.
I have to admit...I probably appreciate all the happy greetings, hugs, "personalized" artwork, and little "gifts" more than any other part of the job. It's also why I love teaching the little ones. No matter how hard my day has been, all the love is what keeps me coming back!

luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-08-2020, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I live in the same city that I work in. After four years of substitute teaching virtually all grade levels, anytime a child sees me in public they instantly recognize me and say hi. I have mixed feelings on this. In a way, yes, it's endearing. And I'm grateful and happy that I'm liked and not hated. Whenever I see a student outside of school and they say hello, I make a big effort to be really kind and courteous and respectful about it because I'm not a jerk.

But on the other hand, man... I can't GO anywhere. I really don't like this. I feel like my privacy's just taken a huge blow, and for what? An annual salary that's worse than fulltime minimum wage? I joke with my friends sometimes that I'm like a celebrity without any of the money or power. I miss being able to just go out and not feel like I'm being watched by some kids. Can't go get fast food without the kid behind the counter recognizing me. Can't go to the movies without a kid in line recognizing me and then a kid at the ticket counter recognizing me and then a kid in the theater recognizing me. Can't go to the damn mall. Can't go for a walk. Hell, in my apartment complex I see them. I just feel like I can't get away from work sometimes and it's so exhausting.

I went to another town a few weeks ago, and as a group of students approached me, I braced myself for the inevitable exchange of pleasantries where I pretend like I remember who they are and say hi and tell them to have a good day and blablabla but then I realized that I didn't have to because I didn't know them and they didn't know me, and it was like a breath of fresh air, dude. Could just walk around without paying attention, without worrying that some kid was gonna wave and I'd miss him and make him feel like #### accidentally. To this day, the number one piece of advice I can give to anyone entering this profession, is to work and live in different places if you're an introvert like I am. Otherwise you will never be able to decompress unless you become a virtual shut-in on your days off.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Homes of the rock stars...
Old 01-08-2020, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I am in a very rural area... and live on a gravel, dead end road with nine houses on it. Last summer a car full of kids went by and I heard a girl scream “That’s Mr B’s house!” I chuckled the rest of the day over the idea that somebody was offering a tour of celebrity homes with her serving as guide. Actually, I knew who it was. Her “Bampa” lives up the road and my guess is some classmates were coming to swim in the river. She has bragged at school she’s known me almost her whole life. That started in Kindergarten after we met at a county fair and did a project together the summer before. For some reason she’s never forgotten it

Being a rock star can be tough, especially when we, the “stars,” have bigger expectations of ourselves than our fans do. They just want to matter, to connect, and get a little respect from somebody who is bigger than they are and not related. When they make us a rock star, we know we matter, we feel connected and respected. Other than size, we’re not much different.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 01-13-2020, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This year I'm subbing, and mainly at the school I worked at full-time last year as a specials teacher, so all the kids know me.. so yes, I totally feel like a celebrity whenever I'm there because all the kids call my name or give me hugs. I love it
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote