Help

Substitute Teachers

Sub reference question

>

snazzyjazzy

Sub reference question
Old 01-08-2020, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As many of you know, I sub for a particular school regulary so I know all three administrators. I have been there 2.5 years. I love the school but do not think I will be getting a teaching job there (I interviewed for a job last year but didn't get it). The district is very small but a great district. I started filling out a job application for the D.O.D.E.A. (teaching on military bases overseas) that is due by the end of January for school in August. It requires a reference from your current supervisor. They have never observed me teaching (except what they hear from the hallway or see during transitions). I don't want to burn bridges in case I have to continue to sub next year. How do I approach them about filling out a reference? Should I ask all three in the hopes that one of them will fill it out? Thanks

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They can only confirm you worked there when you said you did, it wonít be a professional reference. You donít owe them anything and lots of people sub in different districts and are trying to get hired full time so I donít think you need to tell them anything. I donít even meet the people who are technically my supervisors or work references.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-08-2020, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I put down my old department head. If they question that, I'd just say that with subbing you don't really have a supervisor. I also put two teachers that I worked with. It's been 3 or 4 years, but that's the best I've got, and I think that is explainable, if they even ask.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-08-2020, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Is there a grade level lead teacher who could keep his/her mouth shut about you applying for this job? Maybe even a couple of teachers you regularly sub for would be willing to provide references? Personally, Iíd want to keep things on the q/t, so the less people that know, the better.

It really depends on the individual admins. Sometimes they can be realistic and understand that people need job stability. Business is business, nothing personal. Other admins get their panties in a wad if they find out youíre considering going elsewhere.

I agree with bodhimom, in that you donít really have a supervisor, and that it would be very easily explained as to why thatís so.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

SubHuman

Old 01-08-2020, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't know about your reference question (Just ask them for a reference!) but your post made me look up some info on the DODEA program and it looks like a fantastic opportunity to live and work overseas, "see the world" do some traveling, and hopefully work with some quality people and students. Good luck with your application!

SubHuman is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

On the other hand...
Old 01-08-2020, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Requiring a reference from your current supervisor is just plain weird. A fairly standard HR practice has always been, ďreferences available at/during interview, please do not contact current employer prior to interview.Ē Both sides understand that... or should. Iíd concerned about a potential employer making that requirement. Personally, I wouldnít comply. I might offer other references if itís a sweetheart job Iím applying for but it would be under protest. The next requirement might be to attend the interview naked. Seriously, this is a ridiculous requirement that reflects a lot of ignorance or arrogance. Either way, the only way to win is not to play the game. I wouldnít comply even if I thought I could ask someone and trust there would be no fallout. Conversely, subs rarely have job security, so it can be argued (I donít personally agree) you owe the district no loyalty. Itís ultimately a matter of risk management and your decision. Right now youíre taking 100% of the risk if you comply. (If they are only asking for a name, thereís less risk, you could give it and add ďdo not contact until after an interview.Ē)
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

BlueSea

Old 01-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

People that generally like you would want you to reach your dreams even if you can't do it with them. Subbing is a temporary job, and you have fulfilled your obligations to those jobs. I don't think they will be caught off guard since they know you want a teaching job. I havenít been in your specific situation; however, I would nicely ask since you have developed a relationship with them. I would tell them how much I want to be a teacher and enjoy subbing at their school and looking forward one day to taking those experiences with you into your own classroom. If any opportunities arise, would they please keep you in mind. They should want you to grow and be happy you got some of your experiences at their school. Wishing you the best!
BlueSea is offline   Reply With Quote