Help

Substitute Teachers

Has this ever happened to you?

>

SubMan

Has this ever happened to you?
Old 12-14-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Friday I get to the school only to be told that the job was canceled and they had nothing else. However... there is a job at another school in the district. Thanks, got lost on the way and arrived late.

Last edited by SubMan; 12-14-2019 at 09:49 PM..
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Oh yes...the old pull the rug routine
Old 12-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yep...happened to me just the other day. I had driven an hour to get to this school. Just a minute before I got there. (I was literally just around the corner), I received a voicemail from the school office saying that they didn't need me after all.

I wasn't about to let them get away so easily. So I arrived at the school and talked to the office secretary. She was embarrassed and clearly irritated. She admitted that unbeknownst to the office, the teacher had asked her fav sub to take the class. Even though I was in the system as the appointed sub, they gave the class to the fav.

The secretary called the district sub supervisor for me. The sub supervisor was annoyed that the school had done that and told me that the school owed me 2 hours pay for showing up. She then offered me another suitable job at a nearby school.

The secretary (rudely) tried to argue that they shouldn't have to pay me the 2-hour show up pay (all of $40 ) because I ended up getting another job for the day. I mentioned that the pay does help compensate for the inconvenience. Hey... the rules are the rules. This time in my favor.

I know some sub contracting agencies actually compensate subs a full day's pay if the school cancels last minute! After all, why should we subs have to take the hit for someone else's mistakes?

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 12-15-2019 at 07:56 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-14-2019, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow, thatís just wrong. I guess the school thought telling you about another job in the district was a magnanimous offer. File that under ďReasons for sub shortageĒ. Geez.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've had it happen where I'll arrive and someone else arrives claiming that the job I got is actually theirs, because they "texted the teacher about it" lol. I'm just like, "if that's the case, then why did I get it." Gonna be real blunt here, people like that can get ####ed. If it's the night before a job and you're still not scheduled for it, why don't you text your good-buddy-teacher about it and make sure they did it right instead of trying to steal money out of my wallet the day of.

I don't even know with these people, honestly. Surely it isn't that difficult to just assign a job to the right person. Also that last story about the one who drove an hour and then got canceled on is so messed up honestly. It didn't even happen to me but I'm livid. Just imagine the backlash if that'd happened in reverse, and you'd canceled on them with a minute left, because a job at a better school had appeared or something. Probably would've blacklisted you for life lmao. Hell, they don't even give us that option here; once we select something on monday, all the job openings for monday disappear so we can't even see what else is available. But when the shoe's on the other foot, they'll cancel over the pettiest stuff, like they're just totally unaware of how they're ruining someone's budget/income by pulling that sort of garbage. Genuinely think all teachers should have to be subs for a year. It'd solve the "shortage," weed a lot of people out who can't handle being in a classroom, and just make things better in general for everyone involved.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 12-16-2019, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Genuinely think all teachers should have to be subs for a year. It'd solve the "shortage," weed a lot of people out who can't handle being in a classroom, and just make things better in general for everyone involved.
Aillya
I totally agree. Teachers who've subbed a bit first are much more understanding in every way. And thanks for your post. I needed to hear that!

SubMan...thanks for starting this thread....You are sure not alone on this!

bodhimom

Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think that people should realize that being a sub, especially day to day, and being a teacher, are totally different jobs. I'll probably get flak for this, but I've done both. They both occur in schools and deal with kids, but that's about it. It's apples and oranges.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-16-2019, 01:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I think that people should realize that being a sub, especially day to day, and being a teacher, are totally different jobs. I'll probably get flak for this, but I've done both. They both occur in schools and deal with kids, but that's about it. It's apples and oranges.
I think there are enough similarities, especially if you end up long term subbing as I often do, that the differences can blur a lot. Classroom management is a massive part of teaching that I see fulltime teachers fail miserably at, especially in their first year, and I think a large part of it is because they're taught theory in books, and they're given a classroom with the main teacher sitting right there the entire time, but (here at least, in my state) they're never given full reign by themselves until that first day. It might not be the same job, but it's waaaay closer imo than "student teaching" where you're just teaching and the kids are angels because their main teacher who's earned their respect is sitting five feet away.

That said, I'm really not gonna disagree that they're different jobs. But I still think there are enough similarities to where if more teachers had to sub for even 20 school days, they'd learn a lot about classroom management that new teachers often bungle, they'd get to actually be in a classroom as the only adult in charge, and if they took on a long term assignment, then they'd basically be giving themselves a trial run on how they can handle teaching a class. When I take on a long term assignment and am teaching the kids, grading the kids, dealing with the kids' parents, making the tests for the kids, and basically seeing the kids every day for 6 weeks, at that point I'm a substitute in pay only imo, which is another issue entirely, and now I'm rambling, but yeah. tl;dr I don't disagree except in instances of long term assignments, which aren't even worth it imo since the pay boost for basically fulltime teaching as a sub is negligible compared to all the responsibilities.

To bring this diarrhea post of mine back on topic though: If more of them had to sub for even a month, I bet you *anything* they would think twice before randomly canceling a job so they could get their best friend in the position instead.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 12-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
: If more of them had to sub for even a month, I bet you *anything* they would think twice before randomly canceling a job so they could get their best friend in the position instead.
Well said!

I've spoken with several ft teachers who used to sub. They all admitted that subbing was valuable experience and also helped them see through our eyes. They know how to set things up and leave good lesson plans for their subs. Those teachers would not yank a job from a sub last minute!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 12-16-2019 at 06:06 PM..

SubMan

Old 12-16-2019, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
I graduated in 1996, substituted until 2000 when I started my first teaching job. Moved to my second district in 2007, furloughed in 2012, substitute teaching ever since. I have a BA degree in elementary ed, master's degree in reading, 60 credits beyond my masters (thank you act 48 - Pennsylvania teachers will know about this).

I agree that it's apples and oranges. IMHO subbing is much harder than being a regular teacher. Let's take today for example; I arrive at the school only to be switched to another classroom with emailed lesson plans, nothing was set out for me I had to ask the students where it all was. Because they were short on aides I had to do cafeteria duty, I could of refused but that would of been my last day at that school. (teachers can refuse a duty).

During science class I had to have a student log on in order to show a video. (teachers have log ons, substitutes do not). During math class we couldn't use the smartboard, in fact we couldn't use it for anything more than a projector screen as the software to make it work isn't installed on student accounts.

At lunch I needed to ask the office for the "P-key" to use the restroom (key is on a wooden letter P key chain), teacher's keys open the adult restroom doors. BTW my classroom door was unlocked with no way to lock it since subs don't get a key; classroom teachers have a key and have the ability of locking the door in the event of a lock down; no such luck for the sub and 24 students.

These are things I deal with everyday including getting to a school only to be told that the job has been canceled. Can you imagine if I, as a sub, failed to show? Instantly blocked from that school, maybe even the district.

Finally teachers are paid a salary, subs are paid per day; if a sub doesn't work they don't get paid. If a teacher gets sick they can stay home and still get paid, if I get sick and have to stay home I don't get paid.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 12-16-2019, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Interesting points, but I disagree on a few. First, my student teaching was really hard. My mentor teacher was out of the room after my first few weeks of teaching and I was on my own. I had to deal with discipline problems like any normal teacher would, and follow the school discipline system. I had to work to earn respect from those kids, and eventually I did. I know itís not like being an everyday teacher, but it was not easy at all.

When I sub for teachers who have subbed before, they def leave better plans and seem more appreciative of me being there. I wish there was a way for all teachers to experience subbing.

I do think it can be like real teaching sometimes. I have a lot of teachers who leave me plans they would have taught themselves if they had been there, esp if itís the end of the semester and they are far behind. I get keys and I donít have to ask anyone to open doors for me, and sorry you guys arenít always given that freedom.

Iíve used my prep time to read up on a book Iím teaching or tighten up the lesson I will be doing. Of course there are babysitting days, but a district Iím in requires you to have a MAT and an active teaching license so they do expect you to go in and be able to teach, esp if it is your subject area.

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote
It Happens.

It Happens.

If you sub long enough...
Old 01-03-2020, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have that experience at least twice a year. I think I have experienced all the ways your job can get canceled last minute while subbing. Itís a very awkward situation like those old commercials ďwanna get awayĒ. I look up the job before leaving the house to increase the odds that I can avoid those situations. I honestly believe they were all mistakes and kind of come with the job, sadly. I give grace because I want it back, especially with substituting. Only one of those situations made a lasting impression on me because I felt so discarded. Long story short, the office staff put the wrong substitute teacher in the job instead of the favorite and canceled the job late at night. I had the inclination of what happened before going to bed. What I did not know is they put me in anther job. I guess to still give me a job, thanks, but it was unwanted by the teachers on the grade level. It was one of my most awful sub jobs because I felt like I was caught up in office politics without knowing it. I bore the brunt of their bad substitutes I heard them complaining about because I was unwanted and got that treatment. It was hard overhearing substitutes are just a warm body and we can do without them while I rushed to get there and got hurt it the process.

Sirsubalot

Old 01-06-2020, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This is not uncommon and has happened to me about 25 to 30 times with one district over 15 years.
It happens because jobs get cancelled, but are forgotten to be cancelled in aesop, so I show up for jobs that no longer exist.

Sometimes they will put the job in for the wrong day as well.

Fortunately this has ONLY cost me about 500 to 600 dollars because about 80% of the time, there are other jobs available that I have been sent to.

Otherwise, they pay us 40% of the lowest wage, which is $50 instead of $125, so we lose at least $75 for the day due to someone else's mistake. On at least two occasions, the full rate was $150 and $160 respectively, so I lost $100 and $110 for these days.

Had I been sent home on each occasion, the district would have cost me close to $3000 over 15 years.

This does not include the $250 they cost me for failure to send out the memo explaining sick pay.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Lenoral

Lenoral

Very True
Old 01-11-2020, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I concluded that notion a while back. Subbing and teaching are very different jobs. As a sub, you have to make it work for yourself to get through the day. You watch your back and you're on the alert for trouble. It's mostly managing kids because they constantly test a sub to get away with something. As a teacher, the kids already know what they can't get away with. I was a full time teacher for about twenty years. A teacher manages students too but differently. There is more teaching going on usually, but not always. It depends on the type of class you have. As a sub you hold the class together and make sure the kids are safe. Subbing is more "old school" because you have to try your best to be firm and fair all of the time. The students will have less freedom with a sub because quite doesn't know anything about the class he/she is covering. And again, students try to find a sub's weakness. A sub is always on guard.
Karteablake

Karteablake

Sub
Old 02-03-2020, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yes this has happened to me twice. The first time I walked into the classroom and the teacher was there and she goes.....this assignment was cancelled did anyone tell you.....NOPE! They wanted me to stick around too see what else I could do....NOPE! Left for another district. The second time I arrived and the secretary informed me that there were too many subs and asked for me to go to another district. I couldn't understand why she didn't ask the sub that came in after me to go to the other school?!