Substitute Teachers

Unintended consequences of new law

>

Subtastic

Unintended consequences of new law
Old 01-23-2020, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/...239490703.html

Washington state law says anyone, including substitute teachers, can get health insurance if he/she works more than 630 hours a year.
Guess what happened?

Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 01-23-2020, 07:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My guess is the district pulled the same kind of shenanigans they regularly pull to keep from paying long term pay after x days. They have found a way to limit your hours, so that you remain under 630. Am I right?
seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-23-2020, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Another reason why we need a single payer health care system. This is what cheap ass small businesses did after the Aca was passed, they cut part time worker hours so they wouldn’t have to pay for health insurance. But everyone has probably had this happen to them since they had their first job. My old boss used to have people working 37 to 39 hours so they were just below the full time threshold.

You need to work an insane amount of days in my district to qualify for health insurance, and then you are losing that money from your already meager paycheck. 135 a day is nothing. I feel bad for the subs.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@seenthelight
Old 01-24-2020, 05:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You probably guessed correctly.

My wife used to work in retail, and they did exactly that to her.

Health insurance and student loans are the biggest scams of all time.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I added this comment to the end of an old thread, but I'm not sure that anybody saw it. It didn't seem to be worth starting a new thread, but I accidentally found the LAUSD Substitute UNION. The website was interesting. They even have a newsletter called "SUBSTANCE." Here is the link for the union. Not sure if they have a link to the newsletter on this site, but you can google it. I found the meeting minutes to be the most interesting thing. It talked about almost EVERY issue that has been brought up on here, including health insurance, knowing who the special ed students are, disciplinary representation procedure, etc., etc., etc.

There were also articles about how to not get fired, etc., which could be beneficial to us, as well, that aren't as lucky to have a union. There were things I didn't like, though, but I guess nothing is perfect.

https://achieve.lausd.net/site/defau...&Comments=true

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-24-2020, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I read the article and that is really nasty. Subs can only work 8 days per month there. Wow.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
bodhimom
Old 01-24-2020, 02:41 PM
This message has been deleted by bodhimom. Reason: I messed up - sorry

bodhimom

To Mainsub
Old 01-24-2020, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

MaineSub, is there a link to your substitute handbook that you can share with us? I'd like to look at it... I believe you mentioned it before.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Sure...
Old 01-24-2020, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think... not sure what the policy is on self-promotion which is not, certainly my intent. Nor do I mean to hijack this thread... note that the book was written toaccompany a workshop I teach and was not written as a stand-alone book. I’ll msg you.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

inequities result in more inequities
Old 01-25-2020, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for posting the link to the article, Subtastic. That's too bad that a law intended to do something positive for workers results in substitute teachers losing yet more. Looks like those who sub for that district and need more employment will need to branch out and find better districts to work for.

My state (California) passed a law a few years ago that requires employers to provide 3 paid sick days a year for all employees who've put in the requisite number of hours. It's a small change, but fortunately, it's helped part-time workers such as substitute teachers. I know one district that tried to fudge on counting hours worked to delay paying subs their due sick leave, but they could only do that so long before being called out on it.

All in all though, employers hold all the cards and most workers have few rights (especially part-time workers). So you can bet that when a law is passed on behalf of workers that will cost employers money, many employers will try to find a way to get around it (usually to the detriment of the employees).

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 01-25-2020 at 10:47 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Frostybyte

Frostybyte

Not Surprised
Old 01-28-2020, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

For those of you in states with expanded Medicaid, you can qualify for health ins benefits. Since a sub position is dependent upon your hours and it is not a given, there is wiggle room. I had Medicaid while I got my teaching degree and into subbing for 2 years. It is a pain in the butt and lots of paperwork and hoops, but less so if you are just going for the insurance and not assistance.

Aillya

Old 01-29-2020, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Ah yes, another case of "subs are just like real teachers!" until we want to be compensated like real teachers. Then we get furloughed en masse to preserve an amount of money equal (here at least) to about four administrators' annual salaries combined. Gosh, though. I wonder why there's a sub shortage!

I love how at the end he's all "our commitment is to get good subs in front of kids." Is it, though? Because I think if it were, if you really wanted high quality teachers in your rooms when your fulltime teachers couldn't be, then you'd respect the fact that they have bills and responsibilities like everyone else and compensate them like real teachers. Not a lot of things make me genuinely angry, but stuff like this does. Imagine being in that situation. Effectively being dropped from your district at the last minute and having to suddenly make ends meet by driving potentially hundreds of miles to spread yourself between multiple districts instead. And then, after all that, having to hear that bull#### lip service about how they really do care about getting qualified educators. It makes me seethe; at least don't lie to our faces. If admin cared, they'd take a pay cut so their districts could afford the changes without letting their subs go. What a radical thought! Never gonna happen.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 02-04-2020, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

@aillya

Lol, I love when they feed us that nonsense.

We're "just like real teachers" without opinions, health care, or rights.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote