Help

Substitute Teachers

A long is your sub license for?

>

artladyhere

A long is your sub license for?
Old 01-31-2020, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Mine is a 5 year license and expires this year.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-31-2020, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We don't have sub licenses in my district. If you want to sub for the next year, you have to have subbed a minimum of 15 days during the current school year. End of year sub meeting signups are posted on SignUp Genius in May.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-31-2020, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mine is a year long and expires every March. I have to pay to get it renewed, which is the stupidest thing considering it costs almost a full day's pay to renew and I can't accept work after March during the "oh #### it's about to run out!" warning period leading up to its expiration.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-01-2020, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In California, once you have acquired the substitute teaching credential, it is good indefinitely. However, there's an annual sub credential renewal fee that you must pay in order to keep it current.

You can also opt to renew in advance or pay for an additional year (or maybe more) in advance. Since I know mine must be renewed by the end of September, I always renew mine at least a couple of months in advance (say in June or July) so that I don't have to worry about it.

(It's over $100 to renew, so I guess if you're not sure you'll be subbing the next year, you may want to hold off till closer to the deadline.)
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-01-2020, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm in California, and never have to do anything, but that might be because I have a teaching credential. I did return the paper saying I want to sub next year, but that's it.

bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-02-2020, 08:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

To Bodhi Mom: Do you think you don't have to renew because your teacher credential is not expired? Mine expired years ago so I have to do the sub renewal each year (in CA).
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-02-2020, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That's exactly right.

My credential doesn't expire until 2022. So I guess I do have to renew, in that sense. I didn't think of it as a renewal to sub, but at the present moment, anyway, I guess that's what it is. California doesn't do lifetime credentials, anymore, but as long as the state doesn't tack on some more hoops, I just have to pay the renewal fee, and it gets renewed. 2022 will be the first time I will have to renew it, so I don't know how much that will cost. I will renew it, no matter what, even if not subbing, or teaching, because I worked too hard for that puppy to just let it go, over money.
Honestly, I had never even heard of a sub certificate, or whatever it is called. I always thought the only requirement was a 4-year degree and the mandatory reporter training, etc.
I never subbed until I had a credential, so I've never had the sub certificate. Never even heard of it.
I wish I had renewed my credential, before, so I could tell you how much it costs. They also won't let you renew until your credential is within one year of expiring. I'll check out the website, when I get a chance (while waiting on the Superbowl ), and see if I can see how much it costs. It might be worth it to renew your credential, if it isn't much.
I also have a business card that says Substitute in big letters, and then credentialed at the bottom, with 10+ years teaching experience. It seems to give me a little more credibility with the teachers, so I would recommend renewing it just so you can say that.
I've had 2 teachers email me, this year, after I've left notes with problem behaviors. I wonder if they would have done that without my experience. I don't know. It certainly doesn't hurt anything. I think they might see me more as an equal, maybe.

I looked and it appears that the fee is $100 for 5 years. One place said you have to do a livescan, again, another didn't mention that, so that may be extra. That may just be for first timers.

Last edited by bodhimom; 02-02-2020 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: adding more info

luv2teach2017

CA substitute teacher permit reqs.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The requirements for a CA substitute teacher permit (30-day) are a 4- year college degree, passing the CBEST (basic education skills test), clearing a background check and TB test. You also need to have a new background check and current TB test clearance for each district you apply with.

Once you have the permit, you must submit a renewal request and fee ( to the state commission) each year to keep it current as well as do the mandatory reporter training as required by your districts. In addition, you have to undergo TB testing periodically.

The state issues and renews the permits. The districts dictate their mandatory reporter training deadlines.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-02-2020 at 02:08 PM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

These are the same requirements for teachers, and subs with credentials, except having to renew every year.

Nietzsche

Old 02-03-2020, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My teaching license expires this month. I don't know how I'm goind to pick up the continuing education credits I need to renew it. It appears it will go into inactive status. I should still be able to sub for the remainder of the year.

Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
bodhimom
Old 02-03-2020, 03:13 PM
This message has been deleted by bodhimom. Reason: duplicate

bodhimom

Old 02-03-2020, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I've never done it, but I think you can get the credits with online classes.

Maybe if you check out a community college you can do it on the cheap.

BadKitty

Old 02-07-2020, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think ours is also 5 years and costs $100 to renew.
I'm not sure.
But I do know mine expires this year (all teaching licenses expire the last day of June after a certain number of years)
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I wondered how many classes we have to take. I think our hours can be done with our district .
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote