Help

Substitute Teachers

Thanks For Wasting Our Time!

>

SubMan

Thanks For Wasting Our Time!
Old 01-29-2020, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I turned down a long term sub job, you know the drill - long term subbing at the daily rate; meetings, PD, parent calls, grades, and so on.

I turned it down because of the daily rate and the 50 mile round trip commute.

When I told the district I wasn't interested, I was told "Thanks For Wasting Our Time!"

Okay then, crosses district off my list.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-29-2020, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

>at the daily rate
As in, they wouldn't even pay you extra for being long term? LMAO
You'd probably lose money on the 50 mile commute in gas alone. The district's comment about you wasting -their- time is the most ironic thing I've read all morning.

I'm in a long term assignment at the moment, and I've gotta say, it's reminding me why I've avoided these things all year. It's just a ton of extra work for a tiny bump in pay after like, a month of being there in a row. But at least now I can write a budget and have an idea of how much money I'll earn this month... you know, assuming their teacher doesn't return just shy of the magical pay-raise date, which I'm beginning to think they're pressured to do since I've seen it happen a lot and experienced it firsthand on multiple occasions. "Thanks for wasting our time!" indeed. :^)

I'm still laughing at what they said, though. I feel like, if my district said that to me, I'd actually end up losing my job by giving them a piece of my mind. The amount of times I've taken a long term job with them and the teacher didn't leave plans despite knowing he'd be out and saying there would be plans, or the kids were severe special ed when the job listing implied they were moderate, or the payroll department somehow never got the memo to update my pay so I had to wait another ####ing month for my money, or the job was made to look simple but was bait and switched at the last minute into something far beyond my pay grade, etc. etc. etc. I can only think of like... one long term assignment that I actually enjoyed, and even in that instance, the payroll department ruined it by trying to pay me at a regular rate at the end of six weeks. So I had to run around all over the place and then wait a month to get the money that I should've had. "Thanks for wasting our time" lmfao. Good riddance to them. 50 mile commute for a sub gig is insane. Just imagine how much you'd lose in gas alone. You'd probably make more just doing day to day gigs nearer to your house.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-29-2020, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The level of snark in that district's response is stunning. I'd say you dodged a bullet by putting them in your rearview mirror, SubMan. Yeesh!
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

So so so rude! I can't stand it.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 01-29-2020, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Seriously! How rude. I just finished a long term for a teacher who covers 2 different schools for a special. The only reason I took it was because I knew she would send me weekly plans, no grading except for behavior notes and no parents in my face. Otherwise no more long term no way, no how, never! We have to sub a whole quarter before the pay bump happens.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Subman
Old 01-29-2020, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That reply might be worth a letter to board members as an example of why their district has difficulty getting subs. I'd include why you decided against taking the less than generous offer of short term employment.

It may make no difference at all, but you never can tell.

And if you are actually taking them off your list, you have nothing to lose.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Nietzsche

Old 01-29-2020, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
SubMan's Message:

I turned down a long term sub job, you know the drill - long term subbing at the daily rate; meetings, PD, parent calls, grades, and so on.

I turned it down because of the daily rate and the 50 mile round trip commute.

When I told the district I wasn't interested, I was told "Thanks For Wasting Our Time!"

Okay then, crosses district off my list.
I had a similar experience but they weren't that rude. This district was actually paying $5/day less than any other school district and it would not have been a pleasant drive. I think it increased $10/day after 20 days in the position. They actually contacted me and said, "We want you to come in for an interview." I responded that I had not applied for a job and could they provide specifics. This was a secretary calling and she didn't know what it paid. I got to the school and it was a canned interview where you have to respond to scripted questions. Once that was over, I asked what it paid and the interview quickly ended.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Yikes
Old 01-29-2020, 03:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I can't even with this one...

Who says that kind of nasty stuff with a straight face?

Unprofessional of them to say the least...
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Lenoral

Lenoral

Wow,Rude
Old 01-29-2020, 11:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

That's really rude of them to say that. I will not take a long term 98% of the time, unless I know the teacher well, and the students are okay. If it fits into my schedule okay, I'll take a class with a couple of consecutive days, but that's about it. It's not worth the time for me. I'd be selling myself short because I already taught full time for 20 years. I'm used to working as a teacher. For me , I consider subbing being in between jobs. I feel that I'm in limbo when I sub. I still need what little money I receive from it, but I put most of my time into getting into a better situation.Yeah, that district you work for is hostile and out of line. They're just frustrated. If they increased the pay of subbing, well then they might change minds. I won't hold my breath.

artladyhere

Old 01-31-2020, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

A teacher contacted me directly to ask me to long-term sub for her and when I emailed her back to tell her I appreciate her asking me but that I'm unable to do it. She never even responded to me. Sheesh.

artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-31-2020, 11:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have had a similar experience artlady. I met a teacher in my license area who was going on leave and said she had a long term sub but it might fall through. She said she wanted my info so she could contact me for single day jobs, and possibly replace the long term sub if it didnít work out. Spent time writing the professional email and attaching my resume and I never heard anything from her.

I have also had teachers text me and ask me to sub and when I say I am busy I just usually donít even hear a reply after that. Donít contact me if youíre going to be a rude assh*le.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-01-2020, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I've had the same experience with a few as Fractured mentioned. Teachers have sought me out and personally asked me to sub long-term for them but then never got back to me. One cancelled a two-week summer sub job at the last minute (via text) after I'd put aside time and plans to do it for her. (That was the second time she'd cancelled last minute on me. I didn't offer to sub for her again.)

I've also at times experienced rudeness (and just plain meanness) from various district staff. There's never any excuse for that really. It's completely unprofessional. I think some people operate in their own little limited bubble world and they become very small-minded and myopic over time.

If that attitude showed up after a single encounter, you are better off without that district, SubMan. Apparently they don't value or respect substitute teachers!

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-01-2020 at 09:38 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 02-12-2020, 12:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Subman,

I'm glad they weren't able to waste YOUR time! Yes long term jobs are the same at my district...dead end with no increase in pay in sight. I was basically cornered into one earlier in the school year as a building sub, promised a pay increase if I took a job teaching a subject I wasn't certified in for 2 months or I could refuse to take it and be put into the position anyway. Of course, the increased pay never came. And I had planning and grading to do. It was insane. I would have walked right out if I could have done so but unfortunately times are tight where I am and I haven't found an out yet. I'm glad you were able to put this district in your rear view mirror. Hoping to do the same with my own dead-end job soon enough.
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-12-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't take long-term sub jobs. In my book, even three days is long term because by the 3rd, and sometimes even 2nd, I'm on my own with nothing. I would only even consider it if it was in my subject area, but with the lack of pay increase, probably not even then. Probably only if the regular teacher was gone, permanently, because I might be able to get the job the next year.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote