Help

Substitute Teachers

I am so ready for Thanksgiving break

>

snazzyjazzy

I am so ready for Thanksgiving break
Old 11-15-2019, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a sub that usually subs at one school. I stay busy for the most part. The school district is small and doesn't pay well so there is a sub shortage. The district does not provide any real training except for AESOP so new subs usually have questions. The district just hired a bunch of new subs and if I see a new sub I introduce myself and tell them that I am a sub and will be happy to answer any questions they have.

Yesterday, there were several subs and one of the subs had a very difficult student that I have a good relationship with. I told her that if he needed a break, he could come to my room. I saw the student (who is in SPED) in the hallway on his way to class and he looked like he was having a bad morning. I told him that he was going to have a great day with his sub. If he needed to, he could come talk to me with his sub's permission. I never heard or saw the kid for the rest of the day so I thought he had a good day.

Today, my students had extra specials and admin comes in and ask to speak to me (I was talking to another old sub). The admin said that the sub felt that I had interfered with her class (talking to the disruptive student). I apologized and said that was not my intention. She also brought up that I told the new subs that the old subs got dibs on the best jobs and the new subs get the rejects. I told her that I hadn't discussed jobs with any of the new subs. I receive 95% of my jobs from word of mouth or from texts so I hardly ever use AESOP to get jobs. I told her that maybe I shouldn't be so helpful and let all of the new subs find their own way like I had too. She didn't think that was necessary. It was the end of the day but I was so mad, I wanted to tell her that she could cancel all of my jobs for the rest of the year but I bit my tongue.

snazzyjazzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 11-15-2019, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The only advice I give is when I'm in a class with a student teacher. Just to keep it safe, I keep it professional;tips like don't talk over them. I don't disparage the school, or teachers in general even though I question the abilities/pay of some in my district.

I rarely interact with other substitutes, it's not that I don't want to it's just the nature of the job - you're in a classroom for the day and even if there's a substitute next door or down the hall I wouldn't know it.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 11-16-2019, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

After 12 years, I donít even eat in the teachers lounge anymore. I cover my class, greet others pleasantly and mind my own business. I barely even talk to the student teacher I am working with. I just ask how I can help them in their day. Iíve learned less said the better.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

No good deed goes unpunished
Old 11-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Geeze, you try to help people...I wouldíve appreciated the offer for the student to go to your room for a break.

Adminís comment about you saying the old subs get dibs on the best jobs sounds to me like the new sub you spoke with is jealous and trying undermine you. IMO, it was a mistake on adminís part to call out a proven sub just because a new sub got their panties in a wad.

Iím in a similar situation, mostly subbing at one school, and they keep me busy. I go above and beyond, and I know Iím a very good sub. Thereís another really good sub who also often subs at this school, but she gets mad if the teachers donít call her first. I donít get it. Thereís plenty of work to go around.

Tapdance is right, the less said, the better. Itís a shame, but thatís the way it usually works.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Really!!
Old 11-16-2019, 11:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

She went to the prince rather than telling you she didn't like something you did. She's got a real problem. I expect that will really bite her sooner or later.
And telling lies to boot!

I hope you continue to be helpful to the newbies. I certainly would have appreciated some information on how the system works when I started. Perhaps you might want to tell subs that if they have questions or concerns, you'll be happy to share your experiences and let them come to you. A few may feel that they are perfect from the beginning and need absolutely nothing from anyone. I've met some people like that. They can be quite aggressive in their self-assurance.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

LynneLC

That does sound annoying...
Old 11-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I was a new Substitute, I would have liked if a seasoned substitute had offered to answer any questions. I could not imagine telling Admin in that situation that the person had "interfered with my class." I'd be really annoyed to hear that a comment was attributed to me that I had never said. Oh well -- the job of Substitute sure isn't perfect -- in many ways, lol.
LynneLC is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

So much sensitivity...
Old 11-17-2019, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My two cents... there's oodles of sensitivity in the world today so I tread lightly. Not counting retired teachers, I'm probably the senior sub at our district. I actually teach a substitute teacher workshop through the adult ed program. But even so, I only make general offers... "If you need anything or I can help..." and I avoid giving unsolicited advice or anything that would appear to be interference.

I've been on the other side of the fence as well... for example, I once suggested to a student that she might want to stop playing with her Fitbit and pay attention. An ed tech ran over as soon as I walked away and consoled the student I'd confronted with hugs and reassurances. I chose not to make an issue out of it but I was not a happy camper.

In addition to hypersensitivity, we are dealing with an environment in which many (subs and staff) seem to think the measure of success is being liked by students. That's when we are in danger of competing and considering other's actions as interference. In an ideal environment, we'd all be on the same page--or at least in the same book.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 11-18-2019, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's sad, but our field is very gossip heavy.

I agree with tapdancesub, being anti-social works to our benefit as subs. Sad but true.

Keeping to yourself is lonely, but you can avoid the liars and vindictive people that way.

Quoting the band 311: "I try to be not like that, but some people really suck."
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

As others have said, I keep mostly to myself when I sub. It's unfortunate that I feel the need to do this but being a male elementary teacher there have been a few instances where my kindness was mistaken for something more.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bagano1

Old 11-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My philosophy in life always has been, "The more someone knows you, the more likely they are to hate you."

It's generally true. When it comes to work, do your job, agree with people if they talk to you as much as possible, no matter how much you disagree with them, never overstay your welcome.

bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote