How to respond to "No one's listening to you"? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Substitute Teachers

How to respond to "No one's listening to you"?

>

bagano1

How to respond to "No one's listening to you"?
Old 11-19-2019, 04:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've subbed for a number of years and you usually experience this in bad schools. Some kids will be talking, you'll tell them to keep it down, one kid thinks they're getting one over on you by saying "no one's listening to you." Turns out they were and did eventually start talking when something they heard caught their fancy.

I just think it's incredibly rude. It's just one more reason I think school needs to actually cost some money to attend because many of these parents and their kids are just ungrateful. They don't really understand the value of school because if they started charging money and refused to educate kids who couldn't afford it, suddenly, they would realize what they're missing. However, as of now, school is viewed as an activity that keeps kids away from their movies, videogames, music and sports.

I thank God I was able to attend good schools where I never had to hear kids utter ignorant stuff like that to my teachers.

The unwillingness to follow basic rules is horrifying too. I used to work in management at a restaurant and it became very apparent why many factories are outsourced to other countries; you cannot get anything done with many American workers. The drama from them is unreal. Long story short, it really seems like many of them don't value their jobs or advancing their knowledge. If you watch the documentary, "American Factory", this couldn't really be made more clear.

bagano1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 11-19-2019, 08:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did see "American Factory," and we don't want to go the other extreme in China - total subservience.
Students should speak up, just not speak their minds all the time.

Generally, I wait till everyone's quiet to give instructions. If they get too loud, I will let them know. Most classes comply; I just try to ride out the other ones.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

I ignore rude students.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Unless the student is saying something offensive/inappropriate, I pretend not to hear micromanaging students.

Next time a student acts disrespectful like that, don't give them your oxygen or attention. Pretend they don't exist.

Sounds like you got stuck in a rough school/class. But yeah, sad that children think they have the right to talk down to adults these days. They know the school won't do jack about it.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

TheMercenary

Old 11-21-2019, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It comes down to this: there are no real consequences. These kids (and not just in "bad" schools) fear nothing because there is nothing to fear. I am an older sub, and I know things weren't perfect back in the day, but we would NEVER have given a teacher or a sub any lip. Thanks a lot to all the lawyers out there -
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 11-21-2019, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Some here will say that this is a cop-out, but when a student is "in-my-face" rude/disrespectful, I might give them one warning, then I just send them to the office. I know some will say that is what they want, but I don't care. I'm not going to put up with it. I have to draw the line, somewhere. I draw the line at in-my-face disrespect. If it comes to kicking the kid out (which doesn't happen often), I don't sub for that teacher again. I don't get mad, upset, or anything. I just kick them out and call the office to tell them they're on their way. If there are more than one, then so be it.

One day I was having trouble with a kid and he had a "football" sweatshirt on. I threatened to have a talk with his coach. I've only tried this once, and it worked like a charm, by the way. He might have been on his way out, but he straightened up when I threatened that .

bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote