Help

Substitute Teachers

It happened again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>

niceday7

It happened again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This has happened to me twice now. Constructive feedback would be appreciated.

I worked at a school district in FL. The kids were super rowdy. Turning over desks as a prank, laying on the classroom floor, etc...you name it. I would "call the office" when this level of behavior broke out and was told "you should be able to manage this". I was not fired from the school district but the school asked for me not to come back to sub for that school as they school said I was not a "good match". What they didn't like was that I did not stand for the absurd behavior in the classroom and would get them involved.

Well, now I work in NY where I moved to. I got a message from Human Resources that a school asked that I not come back. They (the school) said I did nothing agregious, nothing to put a child in harm's way, etc. and that they saw no reason for me to be fired. However the school said they just did not want me coming back to their school as I am not a "good match". Thing is, this is the most rowdy school in the district and the same thing was happening. Outlandish behavior and I would call the office.

Twice now for getting the office involved more than once I have been asked not to come back to that school. No, they didn't accuse me of anything bad or wrong. Neither said I should be fired from the district. Just don't send me to their school. And would not give a good reason other than "not a good match".

How am I to handle classes with very rowdy students? These are the classes that got me in trouble. I mean rowdy as in hanging out of the windows, throwing stuff around, walking around the classroom, etc., standing on chairs etc. It isn't just me. This behavior would happen no matter who the sub was.

Isn't it odd that calling administration would render you "not a good match"?

I feel sad inside now. Kind of crushed and heartbroken. It wasn't like I was calling administration all day long. I just called them from the classroom on a couple of occasions when I subbed there and an Asst. Principal came down.

Should I ignore bad behavior going forward?

niceday7 is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 12-03-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If it were me, I would’ve put those schools in my rearview mirror after the first time of such ridiculous student behavior, but I suspect these are upper grades you’re dealing with. (I only sub elementary)

Anytime I get the idea that the inmates are running the asylum, I will not return to that particular school. I have a clean record of almost 40 years of teaching, and I’m not about to let some spineless admin put that in jeopardy. If you can’t get support when the kids are acting like idiots, then you can count on admin not having your back if a student injures you or accuses you of something of which you are innocent.

As another sub on this board says, “vote with your feet” and cross those schools off your list.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

niceday7

Old 12-03-2019, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I hear you loud and clear. Great reply. Thank you!!
niceday7 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with Mooba. I don't sub for teachers when I've had a hard time with their classes because I'm afraid it will make ME look bad. I do like somebody on here talked about. When they ask me to sub for a teacher I've had trouble with, I make it look like I'm looking up the date on my calendar and I "just so happen" to have a doctor appointment that day. I didn't return to an entire school because of the same kind of thing. Vote with your feet! It's one of the perks of subbing.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Just this...
Old 12-04-2019, 03:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
Should I ignore bad behavior going forward?
In a word, "No." I believe subs must have expectations of the students they are working with. I have actually told students, you may do that with your regular teacher but you're not while I'm your teacher.

But, that said, I do think we subs need to be sensitive to the "culture" of the schools and districts we sub in... I'm familiar with one school where a teacher actually got forced out, largely because she maintained an admirably high standard of discipline while the school admin wanted the kids to have "more freedom." Students and parents started complaining about her dictatorial attitude... she was, in so many words, "not a good match." The shame of it is, I worked with her, subbed for her... she's an excellent teacher and it is a loss that she's happily retired.

While I think it's more common for subs to have lower behavior standards, there are cases where the sub's high expectation simply isn't realistic. I rarely sub at the high school level... on one occasion when I did, an ed-tech joined my in progress math class. She whispered to me "What did you do to them?" When I asked her what she meant, she replied, "They're quiet!"

I knew the kids, they knew me as a sub throughout their elementary school career. Obviously, if that had not been the case, I would have been holding them to a higher standard than normal. In today's environment, that (raising the standard) is both difficult to do and likely unsupported by admin. In effect, we are causing a different kind of problem and many administrators hate problems. The unstated rule of subbing is "don't create a problem."

Understand, I am not judging what happened in the OP--I'm a big believer in minimum standards. I am merely noting that there is a balance in this that we have to be "tuned in" to.

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 12-04-2019, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Consider it a blessing in disguise. I wouldn't go back to a job like that even if they lifted the ban. Like someone else said already, their lax behavioral policy will end up making you look bad, and those spineless admin will not have your back when the time inevitably comes. As soon as some kid goes behind your back and gets hurt doing some stupid thing you explicitly told him not to do several times, they'll blame you for it and that's the end of your career.

So, try to just be glad instead. Now you'll never have to hear from them again until, inevitably, they run out of subs and end up unblocking people so they can fill their numerous absences. Seen it happen before. Quite pathetic tbh.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Subtastic

Old 12-06-2019, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think you should be super strict off the bat. Even letting kids "get a drink" or sit with a friend sends a message that anything goes.
Could you have called security first before involving the office?
I would not get administration involved unless a student is overturning desks, or poses a danger to another student/students.
It sends a message to admin that you can't manage a classroom, and that makes you a liability I'm afraid.
Subtastic is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 12-07-2019, 09:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I think it helps if you have a good reputation BEFORE this kind of thing happens. That way, when you call the office, they know it is legit. I just told the office, "I have to draw the line somewhere.". They were good with that because everything had gone well at the beginning of the year. All I was doing was sending kids to the office, though. They did send the campus monitor, but I didn't ask them to. I was glad she showed up, though.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote