Help

Substitute Teachers

Just too lazy on the annual worst day of the year

>

Sirsubalot

Just too lazy on the annual worst day of the year
Old 01-06-2020, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Going back to the 60's, the Monday after winter break has been my worst day of the year. It is the only one of the 193 available work days that I do not do my best to get a job.
There were a number of jobs available today, but none very good, and I had a hard time getting out of bed since I was so unsatisfied today.

Does anyone else struggle to go to work on this most awful of days?

Now that it is after 10 AM, I feel guilty staying home, but earlier in the day I was just too lazy and unsatisfied to work.
Having no spring break this year adds to the unsatisfaction. of course I can take a Spring break if I want to lose $700.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 01-06-2020, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tomorrow is our first day back. I have a class that is difficult even on a good day. Not sure what I was thinking. Just get through the day.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-06-2020, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would rather have 14 days off instead of 16 days and go back to work on a Wednesday or Thursday. At least I picked up a good job for tomorrow.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-06-2020, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

There arenít even jobs out here really. A few that would pay me the end of next month but those are useless to me at this point. I do hate the backlash of the vacation on our pay.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Coffee368

Old 01-06-2020, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I did work today and am feeling ďdown-with-subbing;Ē I came here hoping to read others might feel a little beaten down today too. Just to know Iím not alone. Iím really new to subbing as well, so every day is something brand new still. Today wasnít terrible; Iíve had much worse days. But today there were no sub plans in an elementary music class, so I started the day trying to figure out what to do all day. And many of the classes had a sub for their main teacher too, so the kids were drunk off no structure (at least not their usual structure). Relaxing at home now and wondering ďIs this really worth it?Ē Hopefully Iíll sleep okay tonight and feel better, because weekends are my only days off for a few weeks. *exhausted already*

Coffee368 is offline   Reply With Quote

elepen

Old 01-07-2020, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have a sub job tomorrow for a teacher Iíve subbed for before and a grade level I love and the best schedule. Iím trying to psyche myself out because I really donít want to go in. Much rather stay home but I need the money to get ahead of this bill situation. Iíll go in unless an emergency happens am trying to be grateful that I have work and at my age 71 still am physically and mentally able to do it
elepen is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

You're definitely not alone
Old 01-08-2020, 02:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Coming back to subbing after any holiday is always quite rough for me. It feels like I've forgotten how to sub.

I'm still not yet back into the swing of things. Made myself unavailable every day besides Monday so far.

It's much worse coming back after the long summer break though. Oof.

Last edited by subasaurus; 01-08-2020 at 03:26 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-08-2020, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I feel you. Today's my first day back (had no bites the last two days) and damn, this morning I did not want to go out at all. I almost wish the 2 weeks off hadn't happened; I actually feel worse than when it started. It's so hard to get back into the groove of things and I kind of hope I don't get anything tomorrow. edit: Got something for tomorrow. Bittersweet doesn't even begin to describe this feeling. It just sucks knowing I won't even SEE the ####ing money for it until February; this #### should be illegal.

That said... I almost never sub the first day back from winter break. It's hell. Start of a new semester, no structure at all, basically being responsible for setting the tone of someone's class for them and framing the start of their class and getting them their textbooks and stuff. Did it for the last 3 years and it was always the same, not happening again, no thanks. Absolute nightmare with no briefing at all and then you get blamed when it goes wrong.

Last edited by Aillya; 01-08-2020 at 11:28 AM..
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I thought it was just me. I was dreading going back to work. I even passed on a job on AESOP, until the secretary called me. I think that had something to do with me applying for the special Ed aide job, over the break. I had a really hard time getting back into the swing of things. I felt a lot of anxiety, for some reason. At least I now know that was normal.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@bodhimom
Old 01-09-2020, 10:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Nope, not just you. I have a job set for tomorrow and definitely dreading it too. I know it should be fine, but the break throws my brain off so much. The paranoia is strong for me.

Fractured

Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This week has been really rough, worse than the week before break. We might get snow next week and the kids are checked out, or they are mad at their teachers for not being there before finals and take it out on me. I hope it doesn’t snow because this month’s pay is already thin due to all the breaks. Then I’m going to lose days for finals anyway.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@fractured
Old 01-11-2020, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Gotta love it when students whine about their teachers to us.

There is something seriously wrong with the school system these days. It's super toxic.

bodhimom

Old 01-11-2020, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

People don't realize that students, and others, complain to us about them, also. It goes both ways.

My mother used to be a preschool teacher. She would tell parents that if they didn't believe what the kids were telling them about the teachers, she wouldn't believe what the kids told her about them.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote