Help

Substitute Teachers

Does this make sense?

>

Sirsubalot

Does this make sense?
Old 01-07-2020, 07:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A couple weeks ago, subs got their own district e-mail address . They also gave me a simplistic password.

What I do not understand is the restriction that we can only log in with our password when using a desktop on a school site. I cannot log on with my home desktop. Is this for security purposes?

Also strange is that for the first time in 15 years with the district, my e-mails to the sub tech are rejected as spam.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 01-07-2020, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It could be that they want to monitor what subs are doing and have assigned each sub their own email. In districts where I sub access to technology is a mixed bag; some allow it, others will terminate a sub if they are seen using tech (including their own). In any case I'd use this new email with caution.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-07-2020, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have one at a large district. It doubles as our log in to the district site, but they donít restrict access. Some teachers will use it to email me plans the night before. Some sects even email us during the day to give us a heads up about students who need to be dismissed early for sports, but I usually miss those as Iím working.

If a school gives you a laptop or any computer access, they can monitor your online activity anyway. I wouldnít use the email for anything you could tell someone in person instead though if it was sensitive in any way.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

yep
Old 01-07-2020, 11:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

the district seems to want to monitor substitutes' communications. I'm wondering if there's a move to organize subs and they want to track who is spreading information.

Limiting communication only to school hours and school computers seems odd since most jobs appear in the early morning or later at night. I guess they can contact you, but you can't contact them.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 01-08-2020, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Welcome to 1984.

George Orwell would have had a field day if he were alive today.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

It could be....
Old 01-08-2020, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

...a security thing. Have you tried signing in on the districtís site? Before I retired, everything school related had to go through the districtís website. I think itís still that way.
mrsd5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-08-2020, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Would definitely consider any devices or accounts you have with those districts to be open and compromised. Use them as if your boss were standing over your shoulder and don't bother logging in when you're off the clock because sites can even track where you're visiting from and where you depart to. So if you go to their login page from, say, this website, they'll know you came in from this website and if you leave their page to go to yahoo news or something, they'll be able to detect that as well if they're configured for it. And it should go without saying that any emails you send using their email service will be compromised as well.

I have an email in my district, but every summer they terminate it and then I have to fight with them to get it reinstated. It's so frustrating. They mail me a letter saying I have "reasonable assurance" that a job is waiting for me when the year starts, which stops me from collecting unemployment while I'm unemployed for three months, but then they deactivate my email like I'm fired. We use it to log in for everything, and they send out really important information through it that I always miss out on. At this point, I don't even care tbh. I just bring my own laptop and connect to the district wifi through a VPN. I tell them every year that I need it reinstated and then they drag their feet for months, so to hell with it. They give us Chromebooks for taking attendance on, and of course the things are altered to give us limited access to google chrome and nothing else, and of course they can monitor everything that's done on it, so I just have that one out for attendance and then I have my laptop out for actual things a human being might do during downtime, like checking email, checking the news, etc.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Letís not get too paranoid...
Old 01-08-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My bet is that it’s security related. I seriously doubt that most districts have time to read email being sent and received by staff, let alone subs. As email becomes a common way of communicating, there are benefits to a district email address. I’ve subbed where the teacher has kids email things for printing... I’m certainly not going to give those kids my personal email address. I WANT a record somewhere of any email exchanges with students. One district in our area only allows internet access using school owned equipment. It’s inconvenient but not unreasonable, particularly in view of “once burned, twice careful.” I also teach occasionally at banks... i can’t insert a thumb drive with my presentation on it into the bank’s computer that’s hooked to the projector in the training center.

It’s a brave new world.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-08-2020, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with Mainsub. This whole thing as sounded paranoid to me. I give my home email address to everybody, and that has been enough for me. I don't see why I would need a district email address. Then I'd have to check it every day, too, which I have no desire to have to do.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 01-08-2020, 08:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have no intention of using this e-mail address unless I need to. It would make more sense if they issued us our own chromebook specifically for school purposes, but since we can only use it at a school site, and I am rarely on a school computer, it seems rather worthless to bother with giving us an address.

Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-09-2020, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I really don't think it's paranoid to just have a basic understanding that you're being monitored when you use work equipment and work emails and things. That's really all I meant. I know a lot of people who get an office issued Chromebook for the day and then immediately use it for their personal stuff. I'' tell those people like, "hey dude, everything you're doing on that thing is being watched" and they don't care. Then I never see them again and presumably they stop getting calls from the school because wow, when they turned the chromebook in at the end of the day, there was a big record log of them being on amazon and reddit and youtube all day instead of working.

I just don't trust any of that stuff at all personally. And that's to say nothing of the actual security nature of it. A couple of years ago, a student was able to compromise a teacher's email account and send out a fake resignation letter to the entire staff that caused a lot of confusion. Since the student obviously did all of this behind a proxy network, logs showed the intruder logging into the teacher's email account from another country and the one IT guy for the district took that at face value and assumed there was no way it came from within the school, as if some Chinese hacker had an interest in hacking a local teacher's email account for the sole purpose of playing a prank. This is the guy making sure our network is secure, lol. And then people continue to just log into their online banking and personal email accounts through this network on those machines built to monitor their users all while calling me paranoid. Like... oookay. Just use it at your own risk is all I'm saying.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Their goal is not to monitor you
Old 01-09-2020, 10:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I do think that it is a little paranoid to think that they are doing this so they can "monitor" you. They are doing it for the ease of communication. Having said that, and having been a teacher for ten years, I never once used my school email for personal email outside of school. Not only was there no need to, it just sounds stupid to do that. The only benefit I can see for having district email, as a sub, is that you'd be more in the loop about what is going on in the school. When students know that you are more informed, they will probably behave better. Just don't do anything stupid, and you'll be fine. Use it for what it is intended. Ok. I've said my piece.

MaineSub

A quick example...
Old 01-09-2020, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Last year, I was involved in a somewhat complicated situation that meant I needed email contact with a team of middle school students. Dare I mention that they were mostly female? Our district does not issue district emails to substitutes. (And I understand that...) Admin agreed that I should have email contact with the students... in the "no decision" route so often taken by administrators I wasn't given express permission to use my personal email address but I was also not told not to! Since I knew the kids well and the job was important (long story) I took the risk of using a personal email address but created a special one with a formal signature, etc.

The job got done and we all lived happily ever after. But I'd have been much happier using the district server and a district email address. I WANT to be "monitored" when I'm emailing students in the sense that the district has access to those emails in case a question or accusation arises.On some emails, I copied the principal just to keep everything on the up and up.

On the flip side, I'd agree that if one has a district email address it should be used discreetly and intelligently and for district business only. When emailing within a government-based system there's that little thing called FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) that could allow the media to demand emails. To a lesser extent, the same issue exists with any business issued email account.

And just so we have one more thing to worry about, I'm aware of a situation where parents complained formally about a staff member posting on Facebook during the school day. She was using her smartphone, not district equipment or the district wifi. She argued it was her right and she only did it while on break. Suffice it to say, she's no longer employed by the district. Frankly, having worked with her, I was not disappointed.

To quote bodhimom,
Quote:
Just don't do anything stupid, and you'll be fine. Use it for what it is intended. Ok. I've said my piece.

subasaurus

@mainesub
Old 01-09-2020, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I'm aware of a situation where parents complained formally about a staff member posting on Facebook during the school day. She was using her smartphone, not district equipment or the district wifi. She argued it was her right and she only did it while on break

Wait, she got fired for just making a post on social media? Was it inappropriate or something? That seems extreme.

Fractured

Old 01-09-2020, 11:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I donít get it. If the school gives me a laptop they have never said anything about me using the internet. I usually just keep Aesop open for jobs and if there is downtime I check my district email or maybe the news.

But if I take my phone out and someone comes in, Iím in trouble and setting a bad example for the all the kids that are on their phones anyway.

Once a teacher had left about 15 minutes of plans for a 90 minute period( he always did this.) I gave the kids study hall and was reading a book. The AP came in looking for the teacher and made a crack about how hard the kids were working. They were mostly on phones but some were doing work and they were all quiet. Iím convinced if I had been on my phone I would have been in deep sh*t. This whole thing is a joke.

MaineSub

@subsaurus
Old 01-10-2020, 03:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

It wasn't ONE post... she was frequently posting (not school related) on social media using her smartphone during the school day when she was supposedly supervising and teaching children. I don't think it's too hard to see how many things are wrong with what she was doing--and not doing. (We have a no cell phone during class policy but that isn't the most grievous error.) The only thing "extreme" about it was that she got away with it as long as she did and I told the story because we are being "monitored" by parents and taxpayers as well. Personally, I think that's as it should be.

Fractured

Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

At one district the paras are on their phones nonstop. Thankfully most of the places I go they have the sense not to use them the whole period.

bodhimom

Old 01-10-2020, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm confused. How would parents know when a sub is posting to their Facebook page?

MaineSub

Bodimom...
Old 01-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Posts have a date and time stamp... comments as well. Unless your timeline is private (and that doesnít guarantee anything) the world knows when youíre posting and commenting. So when she spent 20 minutes posting cute puppy pictures during school hours it was hardly a secret that she wasnít watching or teaching kids. The weirdest part was she didnít think she was doing anything thing wrong. Social media is blocked on school devices but she was using her personal smartphone so in her mind, no problem. Not the brightest bulb on the string, obviously. Why not grab a nap while youíre at it?!

bodhimom

Old 01-11-2020, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

But wouldn't they have to be included in her Facebook, to see her posts? It doesn't really matter. I don't even "do" Facebook. I'm just curious how parents would know, or even care enough to check, on a sub's Facebook page. Do they have a life?

I don't do Facebook. I don't even care what *I'M* doing every 15 minutes. Why would I care what everyone else is doing every 15 minutes? I'm just curious about why anyone would really care enough to check on subs Facebook pages. How would they even know their names? Maybe it's an elementary thing.

Last edited by bodhimom; 01-11-2020 at 12:39 PM..

subasaurus

@mainesub
Old 01-12-2020, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Just to clarify, I don't use social media either. Hate it.

But it sounded like she was on break in the staffroom I thought?

I don't see posting cat pictures as being an offense worth firing someone over.

I mean, I very much agree you shouldn't be on Facebook while working, absolutely. That's a dumb thing to do and shows you aren't watching the students.

I guess I'm just curious how parents found out. Were they stalking her social media? Why the heck is she friends with parents on Facebook in the first place???? If she was she was digging her own grave.

That all being said, it appears teachers in general should probably not be on Facebook at all if they want to keep their jobs.

I deleted all my social media years ago and never looked back. Best internet related decision I ever made.

Last edited by subasaurus; 01-12-2020 at 07:11 AM..

luv2teach2017

Old 01-12-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

It amazes me to see the disparities in what is considered acceptable behavior in various work places.

I've frequently witnessed teachers during assemblies, recess duty, even in the classroom busily texting away on their phones rather than focusing on the students. Ditto for aides.

When I used to contract as a technical writer, I'd see corporate employees routinely on Facebook, online dating sites, you name it ...all using company PCs during business hours. Did any of these folks get cited or terminated? Not to my knowledge.

But as a substitute teacher, you could be banned or fired for just having your phone in your hand during class time.
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-12-2020, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Honestly, I'm probably on my phone more than I should be.

subasaurus

@bodhimom
Old 01-12-2020, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Same here, but only on my break periods.

What else is there to do really if the teacher doesn't have any interesting books to read?

I read the news on my phone.

MaineSub

One more time...
Old 01-13-2020, 03:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I'll try once more to clarify... without getting into all the fine points of Facebook, there are many ways people see the posts of others. One person sees a post and "shares" it to his/her timeline where it can be seen by all his/her friends who then... Heck, we had one parent who took photos of people (staff and visitors) parking in handicapped spots and posted them on Facebook.

This woman (a full-time para, not a sub) was almost constantly on Facebook. When I subbed I found her relatively useless as a para in my room since she sat in the corner on her phone. She wasn't fired for posting cute cat pictures. Since it's a personnel matter I don't know the official reason but I'd go with "dereliction of duty" and a total waste of taxpayer dollars. Since it was fairly common knowledge I suspect a few parents documented it by reporting her Facebook activity during the school day. Rather than admitting any wrong-doing, she claimed she only did it on break--admin had bought it until a parent proved other-wise. Of course, nobody gets that many breaks that I know of, just based on the complaints on this forum!

One of the great comparisons I heard about social media went something like this. "Facebook is like the old neighborhood bar but everybody in the world hangs out there and they can follow you home."

My original point was, in part, that our performance is "monitored" in many different ways--as it should be. There are a lot of stakeholders in the business of education and it's not really comparable to the corporate world. As others have stated, this woman was "dumb" but whenever we deviate from policy and good work practice, we are assuming a risk.

I'll admit, this is a sore point with me. I was on recess duty one day when a child was injured--I had a lot of difficulty getting help because the other "adults" on duty were standing in a circle off in the distance talking and checking their phones. Sorry, that's just wrong.