Help

Substitute Teachers

Jobs That Linger

>

SubMan

Jobs That Linger
Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Have you noticed that some jobs linger on Aesop?

Here's a list of jobs that are lingering on my Aesop screen.

1 - half days
2 - special ed (life skills, emotional support, autistic support)
3 - specials (instrumental music, art, gym, computers)
4 - days from teachers that don't like subs (four for one teacher in May)
5 - days from teachers who have students who won't behave (seems the word is out)

All told some 28 days there for the taking.

SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 01-08-2020, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've definitely noticed it. Also nightmare schools.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yeah I love those. I always get a glib sense of satisfaction when I see them, because the district looks around and wonders why no one will take these jobs as if they're made of gold or something, when the reality is...

Half days are half pay. Of course no one would take those unless they're desperate.
Special ed is same pay, sometimes less pay if it's a shorter day, but like 10x the liability and difficulties.

Electives vary, imo.

Music classes are actually the worst because it's just blaring music all day long and by the end, every time I've subbed this sort of class, I've had a ####ing migraine. I NEVER get migraines, but after subbing music I get the most debilitating headaches ever in my entire life and I can't describe them as anything else but a migraine. I'll take them if I'm desperate, and I'll bring earplugs and take an advil beforehand, but god It's so bad going in for the first time and not expecting it, and then you're hit by the sound of 45 twelve year olds blaring their instruments at the same time for 7 hours straight. It's effortless and easy but by the end of the day I'm on like, the knife's edge.

Art's a MESS and most art teachers don't leave any structured plans beyond "kids are working on an ongoing project" and half the time kids just leave their paint and stuff everywhere (I still take art classes though, I love it). The last art class I subbed was an absolute train wreck because the teacher hadn't been there in months (nobody told me this until I got there and found no plans and had to be told by a child, of course) and the room was disgusting in such a unique way that if I described it I might actually reveal my identity because no art room on earth is this particularly messy so I'll just say it was ####ing disgusting and leave it at that. Even the best art rooms will often have that acrylic paint smell in them though, and that smell gives me headaches and makes me feel sick. It's one of the things I can't stand. I know others can't either. Art classes sit for a while.

I'll sub gym if I'm hard up for money. It's easy as hell and I usually get out early since coaches here tend to have 6th period prep, but it drags on because I'm just on my feet all day in the sun watching kids toss balls around for like 7 hours straight. It reminds me of my first job in retail, which I got a college degree to get away from, so a lot of it feels like regression in a way that I'm really not fond of.

I love computer classes though. Easiest classes ever, usually with kids who want to be there. No mess like art. Get to be indoors. And it's a subject I actually enjoy, so I can help them with things a bit. Every other sub seems to share this sentiment though; computer classes go quick.

The last two categories ... I can think of ONE teacher who fits the bill. This person teaches special ed and never leaves plans or anything and has an aide who breathes down your neck the whole damn time you're there and turns the whole thing into a weird power struggle where she won't actually help with anything but she'll insist that the kids aren't doing enough and it's your fault even though you have no plans, you don't know the kids, and you're just trying to get through the day. I did that twice, thinking maybe the first time was just a fluke, and I'll never go back. I see his class lingering a lot.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-08-2020, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My friend teaches at a notorious middle school. Kids are nuts, admin turnover and teachers quit after one year. She says almost every day they have sub jobs that canít get filled, and people will quit a few hours before and take something else. Iíd rather refresh my Aesop screen for hours than work at a school like that.

Wonít do PE. Music sucks. Hs art is cool because the kids want to be there. Middle school art is like the 7th level of hell. I used to sub Sped, but I just canít deal with all the unknowns and if the paras will help me out. Do t do half days either.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@Aiilya
Old 01-08-2020, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Well put. You nailed it there. Exactly my thoughts.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

SubHuman

Old 01-08-2020, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I actually like half days (2nd half) because for high school I have to be there at 6:45 and it's tough for me to get up at 5:45 am! I don't mind going in at 10 for a few hours.

I have noticed that special ed jobs don't get filled. Today I subbed for a math teacher who came in late, so they moved me over to cover a special ed class. The kids were great! I really enjoyed them and would love to go back. The problem is the high school has several different special ed classes including some severely disabled (mentally and physically) that might present a real challenge for me. The kids today were a little different, perhaps some slow learners. It was hard to tell exactly why each kid was in the class, but as a group I enjoyed them.
SubHuman is offline   Reply With Quote

Smores18

Old 01-08-2020, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I refer to those jobs that linger as, " somebody knows something". There is a REASON they don't get picked up..
Smores18 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

@smores
Old 01-09-2020, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yep. Those classeses are probably infamous for drama and/or major liability.

Aillya

@SubHuman
Old 01-09-2020, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Yeah it's true that there are different levels of sped at the HS level. I once took on a severe level class (called "special day" here) and there were 4 really cool aides and the kids had their own unique situations but I never felt like I was dealing with it alone. That said, I wouldn't go back; I could tell that day was a hair's width away from going off the rails with how some of the kids were. They were fine that day, but some severe behavior issues have come out of that class and I wouldn't want to be the one legally responsible when it happens.

Then there are the difficult sped classes that are "resource" classes, where you'll get kids with dyslexia, autism, etc. where you'll only have one aide and for some reason a room of like 20 of these kids who all have varying degrees of learning disabilities and behavioral issues and I just can't with those classes. It's like a coin toss for everything. I'd legit rather do "severe" sped and have like 8 kids and a bunch of aides who play off each other and generally work really hard than have a "resource" class with 20 kids and one aide who's burnt out and stopped caring 10 years ago.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Special Ed + rambling lol
Old 01-09-2020, 10:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used to not take special Ed classes. Then I took one and was talking to the aide. At least at my school, they are really just slow and very low level, so I can handle that. It is a small school and there aren't any "severe.". I don't mind it at all, now. A couple of classes are push-in, so that's easy enough.

Over the break I actually applied for a special Ed aide job that showed up at my school. It paid 1/2 as much, but I'd work everyday. Actually more money, in the long run. It was mild/moderate.

I started changing my mind, though, because I've really enjoyed subbing at my new school, and I also found out that since it was classified, not certificated, I would be paying into a different retirement system, and I don't want that. Long story short, I emailed the district and withdrew my app. I hope the sub person doesn't find out that I did that, but I think it would be ok, if she did. We get along well. When pg&e turned off my electricity, she offered to let me shower at her house lol.

I also started thinking that I might sub more, in the future, anyway, so make more money. This is my first year at this school.

I'm not going to advertise my applying for the job, though.
I try to keep things on a "need to know basis," these days. Not doing that has gotten me into trouble in the past. I used to have a bad case of "run-my-mouth-itis." Ok. I'm rambling... .

Last edited by bodhimom; 01-09-2020 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 01-09-2020, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I think of them as "junk jobs." In my district, the half days (or less) are what stay open the longest and often go unfilled.
luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 01-12-2020, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yep, junk jobs are awful. You know you're in for a dramatic day if you accept one of those doozies. Better bring coffee and aspirin.