Substitute Teachers

Multiple Day Assignment Etiquette

>

Lenoral

Lenoral

Multiple Day Assignment Etiquette
Old 01-28-2020, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If there's a multiple day assignment, do you ever take the assignment anyway and only work one day?
What's the etiquette for this ? There are some multiple day assignments available, but I can only work one of the days. I'd have to cancel the remaining day or day left.

mooba1

Old 01-28-2020, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don’t understand why you’d accept a multiple day assignment when you know you‘re not available for all of the requested days. Seems unethical to me.

Sometimes I’ll get a request for a multiple day assignment directly from the teacher. If I cannot do all the days, I let them know up front which days I’m available, leaving it up to them to decide if they want one sub for the assignment or not. Usually the teachers prefer to have just one sub cover the assignment, which makes sense to me.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 01-28-2020, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You should call the office and see if they will accept you working one day, but you shouldn’t take jobs you know you can’t fulfill.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 01-28-2020, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I once took a job that was listed as one job but for 2 days, non-sequential. One day was in Nov. and the other in Feb. The class was just awful so I waited a little while after the first day and called the sub coordinator to cancel the 2nd day. I did not want to go back! They didn't ask me why I cancelled either. But I wouldn't have cancelled if the days were sequential.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Lenoral

Lenoral

A Rationale
Old 01-28-2020, 08:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

@Mooba,

I work another job in a different field during the week and on the weekends.

Some sub assignments have two or three or more consecutive days.

So I could work the first day of a multiple day assignment, but I'd have to bail out after the first day due to my other job.

In my district quite a few of these multiple day jobs are left unfilled or they have different subs filling them for each day. I am wondering if they are doing the very same thing I am asking on here.

Another reason I pose the question about this is because sometimes there aren't always other assignments left to accept for the days I'm available. The multiple day assignment is the only one left, and nobody is covering it. These jobs seem to sit there online a very long time.

I'll have to call my district and get the protocol on this, thanks for the reply.

SubMan

Old 01-29-2020, 04:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

In districts where I sub teachers have begun posting multi-day assignments as multiple single days so there is a greater chance of getting a sub for all days even if it is a different sub for each day.

Districts would be highly annoyed if a sub accepted a multi-day job with the intention of only working a single say. Do it enough and a sub probably would be banned.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 01-29-2020, 06:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The unspoken rule here is if you ditch assignments enough times, you stop getting calls.

I'd definitely ask their office first, and even then, set it up in a way where you don't have to officially cancel to get out of it.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-29-2020, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In our district multi day jobs are usually snapped up first. Weird how places are different. As a classroom teacher I prefer to have one person in the job for all days. I have had subs who have taken jobs I posted months out, and then cancel close to or after a day or two. It actually annoys me enough that if they try taking one of my jobs again, I will cancel them.

Here, the proper thing to do is let the school coordinator know your availability. That way if the job doesn’t get filled, they can ask for separate days.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Honesty...
Old 01-29-2020, 06:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Honesty seems to work. "I can do the first day but that's all" might be acceptable, if there's a way in the system to communicate that.

I've actually had the opposite happen... a one-day assignment turns into a multiple-day assignment because the teacher doesn't get well or gets stuck traveling. When that happens, I bend over backwards to come in for the additional days so there's stability and predictability for the kids.

You'll know how important that is if you ever sub in a classroom that's had three different subs over the past three days.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

see the bigger picture
Old 01-29-2020, 08:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I bend over backwards to come in for the additional days so there's stability and predictability for the kids.

You'll know how important that is if you ever sub in a classroom that's had three different subs over the past three days.
I do the same thing.

Most schools are looking to book the same sub for any multi-day job because it's much better for the kids not to be bounced from one sub to another. (If you've ever been one of several subs in a row for a class, you know what I mean.)

Bear in mind too, that some subs (such as myself) like signing up for a few days in a row. Those jobs are rare compared to the daily assignments. So why would you want to take the extended-day opportunity from someone else when you can easily find a one-day assignment elsewhere?

luv2teach2017 is online now   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 01-29-2020, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Quote:
In my district quite a few of these multiple day jobs are left unfilled or they have different subs filling them for each day.
Quote:
The multiple day assignment is the only one left, and nobody is covering it. These jobs seem to sit there online a very long time.
Interesting, and very different from my district, where the multiple day jobs are highly coveted. I think you have a good idea to call the district and see what they have to say. Maybe having various subs work part of the same multiple day assignment is acceptable where you are. I'm curious to hear what response the district gives you.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 01-31-2020, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Wow, nope...never even thought of doing that. If I can't do all the days listed, I skip over it. If no one takes the job, it will be eventually broken down individually.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote