Substitute Teachers

Aesop Feedback

>

McGarrett

McGarrett

Aesop Feedback
Old 02-02-2020, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After you subbed in his or her class, how honest is the feedback you left on Aesop for the regular teacher?

Or do you not provide any feedback at all on Aesop?

Fractured

Old 02-02-2020, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I left it a few times. When I realized no teacher ever bothered to read it or fill it out I saw it was a waste. Really, they have no idea what you did so I find the whole system stupid.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-02-2020, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I was a teacher, I always left 5/5, because I wanted them to come back. At the time I thought that sub saw the feedback.

As a sub, I always give 5/5, except for a couple of times that were terrible; in that case, I don't leave feedback, at all. All I do is the 1-5 feedback, I don't answer any questions. Probably a waste of time. If I can't give 5/5, I don't leave anything. I don't want to risk hard feelings. I might not sub for them again, but I don't give bad feedback on AESOP, but I do, if necessary, in my sub note.
bodhimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 02-02-2020, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Never have nor will I ever give feedback. Iíve also never received feedback, teachers requesting me to cover their class is all the feedback I need.
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 02-02-2020, 11:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm with tapdancesub.

The rating system is just another way to demonize each other.

subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-03-2020, 07:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I left feedback once and it bit me in the backside.

I wrote that the lesson plans were hard to read (small font size) and that it would be helpful if I could logon to google classroom and see the videos in order to help students in a way that was consistent with how their teacher was teaching them. 4/5 stars for a rating.

In return I got a scathing review and 1/5 stars.

I considered it to be a lesson learned.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 02-03-2020, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I work for 2 districts. The small one has requested we leave feedback. I've only left 3 - 5 stars, 3 being average. And 2 of the questions are irrelevant (who was absent? student helpers?). I don't remember by the time I get home. The admin asked us to do it because they want subs to have a good experience and that's how they monitor it (I believe them). But I probably wouldn't leave less than a 3 unless the plans were awful. If the class is awful, what good would that do to rate the job? The teacher already knows how the kids are and if they aren't good when he/she is gone, then I would be a bad sub.

Luckily, the larger district doesn't ask us to leave feedback.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yea, I only leave it if it asks me to. I don't seek it out. I leave my feedback in the subnote.

I don't think it's necessary, or productive, especially for the sub, for the whole world to know that you are complaining about a teacher. It is embarrassing to the teacher, if they even look at it, and not necessary, IMHO.

And we don't know the circumstances of the absence, either. One time, as a teacher, I was in an accident on the way to school.

That's why, if I can't give 5/5, I don't leave anything. I do think we should be able to see our feedback. How else can we improve, and I want to know if a teacher doesn't want me in the future.

Nietzsche

Old 02-03-2020, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
SubMan's Message:

I left feedback once and it bit me in the backside.

I wrote that the lesson plans were hard to read (small font size) and that it would be helpful if I could logon to google classroom and see the videos in order to help students in a way that was consistent with how their teacher was teaching them. 4/5 stars for a rating.

In return I got a scathing review and 1/5 stars.

I considered it to be a lesson learned.
I don't like it when teachers leave an assignment on Google Classroom. There always seems to be some issue that I can't do anything about. I have heard every problem such as they can't log in, the assignment is not there, their Chromebook needs charged or is broken, etc. Today I was at a school where students are supposed to provide their own devices. Most use their phones for assignments. Two students did not have a laptop and wanted to go to the library to use one. What are you supposed to do?

After reading the comments here, I stopped giving feedback. It is a waste of time and can only hurt you if you do.
Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-03-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I prefer something the students have to write out and turn in by the end of the period. Seems the behavior is more on-task when they have to physically turn something in to me. I can't tell if they turned in a google classroom assignment, and they know that.

subasaurus

Old 02-04-2020, 01:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm on the fence with Google classroom.

On one hand, you don't have to deal with papers being lost or running out of packets. And students can't blame us for work not being completed.

On the other hand, students may forget to digitally submit their work, or end up just playing video games on their laptops instead of working. That can make it look like the sub didn't tell them to submit their assignment, even though we did. So it becomes OUR problem too.

And like Nietzsche pointed out, students tend to complain that the assignment is not there or that they already completed it. And then it's back to them playing video games and surfing YouTube and not being productive.

You really can't win sometimes.

Last edited by subasaurus; 02-04-2020 at 02:18 AM..
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Old 02-04-2020, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I choose not to leave feedback in AESOP.(AESOP sends an automatic feedback request to you after you complete the job assignment.) For subs in my district, providing feedback is completely optional. Subs here do not have access to any teacher feedback either. Whatever feedback I want to convey to the teacher, I include that in my sub notes on the back page of the lesson plan (if there's been an issue, I'll take a pic of my notes for my own records).

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-04-2020 at 05:01 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-10-2020, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

In 5 years, I've NEVER left feedback/comments. I only do the stars and never rate a bad class...only the decent ones.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

artladyhere

Old 02-10-2020, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

We have to request to see our feedback. Only the sub cordinator can see it.
artladyhere is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Old 02-16-2020, 10:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I never provide feedback on aesop. I generally leave the teacher an old-fashioned handwritten note about the day and feel that is more than enough feedback.
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-16-2020, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I don't think teachers get it, anyway. I never did.