Help

Substitute Teachers

Sub tips from Stedi. Good for a laugh.

>

Fractured

Sub tips from Stedi. Good for a laugh.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I must have signed up for some newsletter once. These are usually pretty vanilla, but this one was pretty damn hilarious. I’m sure this is all we need to do to get kids off phones and pay attention to us. It’s all what we have been doing wrong:

“When an airplane is about to take flight, the flight attendants give a demonstration on appropriate procedures in the event of an emergency. Those who have flown are familiar with the warning that if there is a decline in cabin pressure, masks will drop from the ceiling that will supply the necessary oxygen. The point is stressed during the presentation that a person must put on his own mask before she can turn and assist someone else.

One might ask what does this has to do with the classroom. The lesson we can learn is that in order to influence someone else’s behavior we must first have control of our own. This is a powerful concept and one that educators should take to heart.

By securing his own mask first and taking control of his own actions, a substitute teacher can then create an environment where students can behave well.

Substitute teachers should worry less about students’ misbehavior and focus on their own misbehavior. That misbehavior might include:

Not setting expectations
Responding only to inappropriate behavior
Using sarcasm
Using coercion to make students comply
If a substitute teacher can learn to behave appropriately, it will increase the likelihood of appropriate student behavior. But it is important to note that the teacher must first gain control of his own behavior before he can expect appropriate behavior in someone else. Eleanor Roosevelt put it beautifully when she said, “It is not fair to ask of others what you are unwilling to do yourself.”

To answer the question posed in the title: whose behavior are we trying to control?

The answer is, we are trying to control our own behavior. By controlling our own behavior, we can create an environment where students can, in turn, behave well.”

Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 02-06-2020, 05:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I kind of get where they are going with that, but they could of been clearer.

We can't be on our phones and expect that the students won't be. High school and middle school students especially expect and want everything to be "fair." Their version of "fair" is what benefits them the most.

Also consider that we, as subs, are the adults in the room and are expected to remain calm and composed at all times. We can't be running around the room yelling "I don't want to die" during a lock down drill.

I find that I have an easier time keeping order in a classroom if I am actively moving about the room, teaching from the perimeter where I can see all students all the time.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

So much truth
Old 02-06-2020, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I taught full time, the hardest thing to do was not take things personally and to not lose control of myself. Now that I am subbing, it is easier, because I can avoid teachers and classrooms that are not good. I only do middle and high school. I love it! I set expectations at the beginning and follow through. I show students respect by following the same expectations. They know that I only use my phone when messaging their teacher with questions. High school students can email or message through Google classroom, so I rarely have the phone out. I’m not perfect, but it sure is easier when I follow the rules and enforce expectations. And, yes, keep moving around the classroom.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Old 02-07-2020, 12:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't see what's wrong with using sarcasm when used in a humorous, light hearted manner.

Most of my favorite teachers in the 90's used sarcasm (not in a mean-spirited way) and we thought they were hilarious.

It's like they're trying to take away human elements and want us to act robotic.

I guess comedy is a dying thing. Kinda sad. Next thing you know they'll be taking away self-deprecating humor.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Aillya

Old 02-07-2020, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The framing of this article tells me it was written by someone who's probably never subbed before, since they put 100% of the responsibility on some guy who's never been there before, just showed up today, and has everything working against him. It makes no allowances for the original teacher's boundaries and classroom management, the school's handling of consequences and phones in general, the administrative policies on discipline, specific kids who are just difficult to deal with, the psychologically addictive nature of smartphones and social media, none of that. It's your fault! You have no rapport with these kids; you barely know their names, but it's your fault for not doing the airplane metaphor lmfao

And then the meat of the article is just listing #### you shouldn't do. How about concrete steps that educators CAN take? Down to the very bones of this article, every inch of it just assumes that the substitute reading it is an incompetent stoner who's only having problems because he's unqualified. It totally undermines the genuine challenges of the job because whoever wrote it simply assumes there aren't any; it must be so easy! Just show up, don't be on your phone, and emulate an airline stewardess and the kids will snap to attention and do whatever you want! I'd bet 20 dollars some admin wrote this after attending one of their beloved meetings they're paid 6-digits a year to dream up, where of course everyone was present to contribute to it except the substitutes (and even if they were present, it's REALLY hard to speak your mind to someone who can fire you immediately no questions asked). Gotta get everyone's input except the people directly involved! Those subs would probably be on their phones the whole time anyway.

Last edited by Aillya; 02-07-2020 at 11:15 AM..
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Totally agree with Aillya
Old 02-08-2020, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I totally agree with Aillya. I didn't find anything humerus about it. Just more sub-bashing from someone who didn't seem to know what they were talking about. I didn't say anything, at first, because I thought I might be taking it too personally, but I guess it wasn't just me.
bodhimom is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

A little background...
Old 02-09-2020, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It might be important to consider that STEDI is ultimately trying to sell a textbook and online course... at one time they were considered the gurus of subbing. But they truly haven't "kept up" and the quality of their "tips" has diminished greatly. I actually have complained about several that were simply bad advice and one that would potentially get a sub in trouble. They actually withdrew that one.

The importance of managing our own behavior is dead on but the analogy is horrible. And the Eleanor Roosevelt quote is poorly applied--almost irrelevant. Should a sub sit at the teacher's desk and raise his or her hand when he/she wants to speak?

It's also interesting that "responding only to inappropriate behavior" is listed as a misbehavior and then all of the misbehaviors focus things a sub shouldn't do! That truly cracks me up.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach2017

Overly controlled subs
Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This (misguided) STEDI advice must be why I'm seeing an epidemic of k-6 subs now who just stand around and do nothing when kids are misbehaving. Seems the subs are afraid to assert themselves. The worst.

Last edited by luv2teach2017; 02-09-2020 at 09:38 AM..
luv2teach2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
bodhimom
Old 02-09-2020, 01:58 PM
This message has been deleted by bodhimom.

YayaSub

Stedi?
Old 02-09-2020, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I must be out of the loop. What is Stedi? When I searched for it, I only found a site that seems to expect you to fork out a good chunk of change to "learn" how to become a sub. Not sure why anyone would do this. Or is this post referring to something else?
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 02-09-2020, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Okay, so this has clearly touched a nerve with some people, esp Bodhimom. Let me be clear I was being sarcastic when I posted this and I think this article is a load of bs.

Edit - never mind. Wasn’t totally sure though.

Last edited by Fractured; 02-09-2020 at 06:16 PM..
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-09-2020, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Fractured, I wasn't talking about you. You were just posting what somebody else said.

Aillya

Old 02-11-2020, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

For sure, I knew you were being sarcastic as well. I was just weighing in and giving my own thoughts on it.
Aillya is offline   Reply With Quote

RolandJS

Asking for additional information...
Old 02-18-2020, 09:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

"...I actually have complained about several that were simply bad advice and one that would potentially get a sub in trouble. They actually withdrew that one..."
Which idea was withdrawn? I'd like to learn from you! I have had STEDI emails in the past, for some reason, I fell off of their radar, I did enjoy reading their emailed material.
RolandJS is offline   Reply With Quote

bodhimom

Old 02-18-2020, 11:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I had never heard of this (STEDI). I think I'll check it out, since you liked it, assuming it is free.

I see that you are new, here. If you don't get more replies, I'd start a new thread.

People can see replies by the thread start date, and this is kind of an old thread. Just an idea.

MaineSub

RolandJS...
Old 02-19-2020, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I honestly don't remember for sure... it seems like it was either a recommendation to use candy as a motivator or a suggestion to bring our own worksheets. They (STEDI) seem very disconnected from today's public school environment. In one district I know, using your own material without prior authorization would be a serious violation of district policy. (I know teachers who have gotten in trouble over material that parents found "objectionable.") And using candy as a motivator is just a bad idea, particularly for a sub. Among the reasons it's a bad idea: it doesn't work, it's bad for teeth, it goes against "health snack" policies, and there are kids who are diabetic.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote