Help

ARCHIVE

Daily Language statistics

>

SusanTeach

Daily Language statistics
Old 07-08-2006, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know if there are statistics to support the use of daily language (editing a few sentences or paragraph a day)? Every teacher on my grade level does it, but I started finding my students were getting worse in their own writing when we were doing it. I don't know if it was a coincidence or if they just got so tired of editing, or looking at something "wrong" that it overlapped into their own writing.

I don't mind doing it, if I know it'll help. Any thoughts? How do you do yours, and do you see a definite improvement because of it?

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Suzydiana

I believe strongly in favor of using it
Old 07-08-2006, 09:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My fellow teacher and I feel it made our test scores go up by several points. I love it because when I get to a particular lesson, we have already talked about it with daily language. I use the workbooks and also use daily math. I see a lot of progress in my classes that used it compared to those who I didn't use it with over my teaching career. I looked for stats but never found any.
Suzydiana is offline   Reply With Quote

TootSweet

Do you have them re-write the whole sentence?
Old 07-08-2006, 11:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have them rewrite the entire sentence with the corrections or do you just have them use editing marks to correct the original? I've done it both ways but became discouraged with how long it took some students to complete. In the last half of my year, I decided to change it from individual work to having them work in table teams to do both their math and language. Every person had to do their own page, but they all had to agree. When the entire team was done, they would bring them to me for review. I put a star on each problem and if it was wrong I left it blank and passed it back to the team. They were all responsible for helping each other get it right before they could return to me. This seemed to speed up the process and it challenged them. I was very pleased with my test scores!!!
TootSweet is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Dailiy Language
Old 07-08-2006, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel it helped with my test scores.
However, one thing I have added is a Friday quiz. I have just typed the quiz over the week's material myself and give them on Friday. This gives me a language grade and helps me justify the class time spent each day reviewing the sheets.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

BetsyC

Old 07-08-2006, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Year before last about half the teachers in my grade level used DOL. When we received test results, we compared our scores in the subskill of editing and found that scores of those who didn't use DOL were the same or better as those who did incorporate DOL. I do think it's important to teach editing, but within the writing conext.

BetsyC is offline   Reply With Quote

LindaR

Daily Language Editing...
Old 07-09-2006, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've tried various language practice activities with mixed results. Many of my sixth grade students struggle with grammar and punctuation, run-ons and fragments... This past year, I've focused on what my students need to know (State Standards) and what they do and do not know (based on their writing).

I've pulled various completed papers of my students (without identifying them) and written sentences on the overhead. After explaining the purpose of the language practice (no more than two corrections regarding spelling pattern, punctuation, sentence structure, etc.), I would let the students know that I've noticed many papers with the same challenges. The students are required to write the sentences correctly in their Literacy binders, and then I randomly choose students to come to the overhead to make corrections.

I will also use sentences from the reading texts (including science and history) to provide more consistency. Sometimes students will choose a challenging sentence from their reading, re-write it, leaving out the puctuation. Then, they exchange papers and make the necessary corrections. My students really like this activity.

My students have shown tremendous growth by these daily language activities, because there is a clear purpose set. My students don't consider this as "busy work." I think it's important to use this time to supplement more explicit instruction in word work. In addition to considering the research of others, we need to be our own action researcher to see what works for our students.

LindaR
LindaR is offline   Reply With Quote
maryteach

maryteach

I agree with the posters
Old 07-09-2006, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

who say do everything in context. The trouble with doing skills in isolation is that, although we see the connection to actual writing, not all students do. Research consistently supports teaching all skills in context. I like the use of student writing on the overhead, Linda R.