Help

Substitute Teachers

Very Helpful or Know it All

>

jazzynanny196

Very Helpful or Know it All
Old 11-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

How do I get it across to mostly 5K-5th graders that I do not need them to interject (every 10 minutes) that Mr/Ms _________ would do this or that and that it is time for this or that? I try to communicate to the class each morning that I have a plan left by their teacher and although it may be a little different than they are used to it's under control. This is my first year as a substitute but I am not a retired teacher. My background in Accounting and Bookkeeping.

Thanks!

JazzyNanny

jazzynanny196 is offline   Reply With Quote

rcmn

Old 11-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My normal response to "Ms. ____ always let us....." is something along the lines of, "great! Then that's how you'll be doing it tomorrow!" :-)
rcmn is offline   Reply With Quote

mommysubs

Well on my planet...
Old 11-18-2017, 03:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I calmly inform those students that substitutes are from a different planet and the transmission of "he/she/they always let us do x" always gets lost between our very different galaxies, so we will just abide by the guidelines from planet substitute for today, and then you will resume x with your regular earth teacher. If anything, it gets them to crack a smile, think I am crazy, and stop trying to mess with me throughout the day!
mommysubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Kailey123

Old 11-18-2017, 03:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just keep repeating over and over "this is what we're doing because it's my job to follow Mrs. Teacher's plans" and then I wave the plans at them.

Or, I say some version of "Well I am not Mrs. Teacher, but when she gets back tomorrow you can talk to her about it."
Kailey123 is offline   Reply With Quote

pumpkincake

Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hope you find a way soon

pumpkincake is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

In the beginning
Old 11-18-2017, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You could start by saying this right away "Hello Everyone. My name is Mr./Ms. Guest. I'm sorry that Mr./Ms. "Regular teacher" can't joint you today so I'm in here. We are going to do things a little differently but the same rules/expectations apply and it would help me out if you could (stop comparing me with your regular)..."
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 11-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have found that you have to find the right balance of allowing helpfulness and discouraging unwanted help. When I first started subbing years ago, I used to cut the students off telling them we would do things a little different. That upset the children and made me a villain. They deserved my respect as much as I expected theirs. I never thought of that as disrespect, but that is what it was. In time, I found that the students do understand more about their routine than I could, so I had to find a way to capitalize on their knowledge and keep the routine as normal as possible. Nowadays, I still tell the kids we might do things a little different, that it's okay. I do ask students when I think routine matters or when there is something I don't fully understand from the lesson plans. Student like being helpful. I have to remind them to raise their hands and stay in their seats, otherwise I would have half the class talking out of turn or running to my aid. Helpful is wonderful. As you are seeing too much helpfulness will prevent you from teaching, and just the right of helpfulness will allow students to build a relationship with you. Hopefully you find that balance. It's a challenge, but well worth the effort to enforce.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Sharing...
Old 11-19-2017, 02:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would echo those who've said there's a balance in this. Personally, I like to share management of "our" classroom with the students. I have the advantage of being known to most of the kids so my expectations are usually fairly well established. I still, however, remind them at the start of how we will be approaching the day.

I had a chuckle recently when a second grader announced at the start of the day, "I remember! You will be the teacher and we will be the students!" That's a line I sometimes use with students who are "over the top" with helpfulness and start arguing with me. It's a little harsh, but it's part of clarifying our roles.

I think part of the "magic" is to understand the difference between leadership and control. "We are going to work together... and we'll work best if I am allowed to lead... We have lots to do today. Let's work together and get it done!" (This obviously requires different language and approach depending on grade level.) I'm also not above saying "Let's show Mr./Ms ________ we can do this!"

I also make sure I announce that Mr./Ms ________ has left me instructions and he/she understands that we may not do everything exactly the same as he/she would. Some kids are truly concerned that we might get into trouble if we don't precisely follow classroom disciplines and I respect that. Their regular teacher has invested a lot of time and energy into getting those routines in place. I've found that helping the kids understand the regular teacher has said it's okay can actually make it fun.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Old 11-19-2017, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I do pretty much what everyone else does, but I'll add one thing... I give them lots of opportunities throughout the day to tell me what they normally do or how they would normally do something. Example: Can someone please raise their hand and tell me if you normally stop at the bathrooms before before or after lunch? Does Mrs. Regular Teacher usually do a brain break between reading and math? That sort of helps the kids feel like you want their help and gives them an opportunity to tell you about their regular routine. Then when interrupt with "that's not how..." you can tell them that you promise you will ask them when you have questions (and refer back to the beginning of the day speech about how you might do things a little different because everyone is different...). Sometimes I feel like that helps, other days I don't. Either way, I'm not all that bothered by it usually.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 11-19-2017, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Subinnc, I agree with you about giving them opportunities to tell me what they usually do. However, this can sometimes backfire.

If I'm not sure about a classroom procedure or rule, I'll ask a dependable student. Sometimes other students will hotly disagree with dependable student, and often other dependable students will join in. One faction will loudly say Mr. or Mrs. ________ does it this way, while others will say he or she doesn't. In that case, I'll use my best judgment and ask (with a smile), "Are all of you in the same class?"

c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Ignore them
Old 11-21-2017, 03:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'd simply say " Ok, I'll try to do it her way" and then do it your own way anyway and just follow the plans the best you can.

That's what I do with family (in-laws, parents, siblings) and it works like a charm.
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

answer with
Old 11-21-2017, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The Wonderful Mr./Mrs. So and So left complete plans with all the important information.

THEN, because it will continue, ask "Does this have anything to do with________?" If it doesn't apply to math, etc., ignore them. The class will get the message.

Some kids want to be helpful, some want to derail the sub.
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote