Help

The VENT

What are your pet peeves?

>

kas327

What are your pet peeves?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

As much as I love my students, some of them still do/say things that I just want to "Are you kidding me???" - to put it nicely. For example- asking,"What are we doing today?" I don't know why but it drives me NUTS! I just tell them, you'll find out when the rest of the class does.

So, I think this could be fun and we could have some good laughs... what are your pet peeves that the students do?

kas327 is offline   Reply With Quote

apples

here's mine
Old 11-14-2009, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

"Do we have gym today?"

"Where do I put this?" (about finished work..hmm I think we have a bin called THE FINISHED WORK BIN!!!!)
apples is offline   Reply With Quote

Bookwoman

mine
Old 11-14-2009, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"What do I need to bring to class?" Ummmm-what you bring EVERY single day?
Bookwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

pet peeve
Old 11-14-2009, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I'm doing something VERY obvious (sharpening a pencil) and a child asks, "What are you doing?"
My usual response? "I'm baking a cake."
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

teachergeek

Old 11-14-2009, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When we are lining up and someone asks "where are we going?" I always answer "the same place we go everyday at this time"

this drives me nuts too... I tell them to get out a book ( math book etc.) and they groan or one of them says (in a whining voice) nnooooo

I have many more but, I also have the class from "I don't want to do/learn anything " land.

teachergeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have several:

** what are we doing next? (this is always 2 minutes into a new lesson) AND I have a picture schedule up for goodness sake!

** When I tell them they will have to owe me some recess time or something and they say in the whiniest voice ever "but I don't want to"....my response..."well I didn't want you to (Insert rule breaking here) but you did".

** When they tell me "no"...WTH? Like you have a choice! I think that one drives me over the edge more than anything else.

These are first graders I work with. grrrr
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Haha
Old 11-14-2009, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Is it gym yet?
How many minutes to lunch?
I have a sweet class but I have one that drives me nuts. Rarely raises her hand... I sound like a broken record, "I do not acknowledge children who call out and do not raise their hand." Over and over again ad nauseum.

I am not as sweet as poster of this thread as I have been known to utter, "Are you serious? or Are you kidding?"
rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

Haha
Old 11-14-2009, 06:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have to remember that line.

playpower

pet peeves
Old 11-14-2009, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I am so glad that you put this in plural form! It has been a week full of peeves for me!
I agree with Multigrade- when they ask "what are you doing?" when the answer is so obvious and is not something new.
Another one: I'll be helping the snack person with snack and someone will say, "Do I get snack too?" I want to say, "No you do not get snack. Only you. The rest of the class will, but you will not. I have chosen you and you alone to not get snack. I would love it if your blood sugar would drop and cause you to have a fit of hunger resulting in extreme fatigue and an inability to focus. I make it my daily challenge to decide who I will not give a snack, and you are it."
And: "What did they say?" "Why are they doing that?" - in regards to another child that has gotten a talking to, or maybe got in a bit of trouble. None of your business! I'm sure you would not want to be called out if you were the one in trouble!
Yikes, I guess the post struck a chord!
playpower is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 11-14-2009, 07:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Not exactly pet peeves, but they do irritate me slightly. I have a girl who asks EVERY DAY when we come in from recess after lunch, "Was that our first recess or 2nd recess?" (We have a 2nd recess at the end of the day.) I know you're only 5, but how can you not remember you just ate lunch 15 minutes ago?

I also have students who constantly finish my sentences - often incorrectly. Drives me batty.

sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs9

how much longer????????????
Old 11-14-2009, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This year I am subbing so I do not see the same class every day. With that being said, I have been in a 4th grade room twice and each time, one young lady continually asks after lunch, "Hoe much longer until we go home?" I nicely responded to her each time, pointed at the clock, told her when. But yet the questions continued. I asked if she does this every day and she said,"Yes!" God bless her teacher!
mrs9 is offline   Reply With Quote

NYshopgirl

Old 11-14-2009, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

When my kids ask me what time it is, I say 'time to get a watch." Is that too sassy for 1st and 2nd graders? ;-)

I hate when kids tip in their chairs.... then fall.

When kids pick off their nametags... AHHH this drives me insane.
NYshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Recess

Pet Peeves
Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We haven't even finished the guided reading book and they want to know, "What book are we going to be reading next?" I don't know until I go to the Literacy Library and see what's available at our level. There are 15+ teachers getting books out of that library.
Recess is online now   Reply With Quote

ashleigh_60

pet peeves
Old 11-14-2009, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

*When there are about 20 pencils on the floor, and they complain that they don't have any pencils
*When I go over directions, model what to do, and have the directions written on their paper with an example and then they ask "What do I do?"
*What someone answers or asks a question and then I call on someone else and that person asks or says the same exact thing the first person says.

My biggest pet peeves have nothing to do with my students
*When an adult interrupts class and asks if we are doing anything
We are never not doing something.
ashleigh_60 is offline   Reply With Quote

bamafan

Old 11-14-2009, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

It drives me insane when I've told them all year to turn their papers face down when they are finished and read a book. I always have 2 or 3 come up to me, hold up their papers, and say, "I'm finished. What do I do with my paper?" I swear, if I told them to stack them somewhere these same students would then just sit with their papers on their desks!

Another pet peeve- It was raining cats and dogs when we all got to school. It rained all night. It has rained all morning. I'm going to have at least one kid ask, "Are we going out for recess?"
bamafan is offline   Reply With Quote

City Mouse

Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Several of my five year olds ask me every day [B]RIGHT AFTER LUNCH[B] if we are "having snack now". 1 of them says, again right after lunch, "what about snack?"
We eat snack at the end of the day just like we have every day since we started school.
Another one of my pet peeves is kids who no matter what, seem to be incapable of listening or following the directions for a lesson. I can explain the directions repeatedly, ask the kids to repeat them, draw them on the board, and I STILL have at least 3 kids say "What do we do" the minute they start working.
I also have the kids who will follow me around the room trying to give me their paper despite the fact that they know they have to stay in their seat and they are supposed to put their head down and wait for others to finish.
I have plenty more pet peeves, but that's a start!
City Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My pet peeve is when they roll their eyes at me and/or say "oh my God". It puts me over the edge.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

blueheron

I know a teacher that gives
Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

class detentions if the students groan. It's interesting how they learned to cheer in a nice soft way after a while.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra

Old 11-14-2009, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

* Asking "what do I do now"? when there is a list of things written on the board for them to do.

* Laying on the table with both arms on the table.

* Asking "What's for lunch"? They get a menu at the beginning of the month. There is one posted in our room. There is one by the cafeteria. Why don't you look at it.

* Asking me "What are you doing"? when it's obvious.

* Tiping their chair and then falling or falling off their chair on purpose.

* Asking the time or how much longer until ........

As you can see I have several.
lamaestra is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Blurting!!!!
Old 11-14-2009, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have a girl this year that cannot stop interrupting me and everyone else.

I also have a very hard time with "What about me?' "I didn't get to..." (said in a very whinny voice)
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

jetgirl

What??
Old 11-14-2009, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

My pet peeve, at least for this week, is when you take the time to announce a very special class event in your weekly newsletter, email it to parents, send a hard copy home, write it on the board for four weeks, discuss the importance of the event with the students as they prepare for it, no less, and still a child comes in and asks on the special event day what time it starts What???? And they want to call home to tell someone so that they can come for the event!

Related to this peeve is when the student tells me on special event day that parent is coming at a time that is hours away from the correct time, or a parent walks into the office and announces they are there for special event, secretary tells them they are early, parent argues she isn't, diggs for paper work in purse, and says, oh, I guess it is at such and such a time. No apology to secretary

I'm done now, at least for this week
jetgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I have one little girl who asks me every morning, after she hands me her Home Reading book, if she can get another.

The routine is hand me the book, get another. We have been doing it for 3 months now. I have said "Yes"...then I moved onto "Of course, that is what we do every morning"...now I am thinking about answering in French since English is clearing not working!!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

RadSub19

oh dear...
Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

as a sub...there are many!

*being called "teacher". I write my name on the board and re-state it several times. When a kid does this I say, "I don't call you STUDENT! I have a name too!"

*when kids fall of their chair on purpose (they seem to do this a lot with me!!)

*when kids destroy pencils, or crumple/rip their papers when we are done with an assignment

*when teachers come in and start yelling at the class for being disrespectful to me because I'm a sub. (99% of the time, I'm fine...they don't need to be yelled at, teacher is on a power trip)

*When kids do something they KNOW is wrong/annoying and stare at me to see what I'll do next

(I look like i'm 15 years old so many kids will do things just to get a rise out of me...to see if I'll actually do anything. Especially the older kids, grades 7 and up.)
RadSub19 is offline   Reply With Quote

fromkto3

This is great!
Old 11-14-2009, 12:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

When I sharpen no less than 50 pencils before school begins at 8:00, and by 8:30 there are NONE left in the "sharp pencil" container! I think they break them on purpose just to drive me nuts!!!
fromkto3 is offline   Reply With Quote

rubyanne

Old 11-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Calling out "teacher, teacher, teacher" repeatedly when I am speaking with someone else and have signaled for them to wait.

When they ask when lunch is after 30 minutes of school or 10 minutes after lunch.

When they tell me their head hurts or some other complaint right in the middle of me explaining something important.

One little girl this year tells me everyday at the worst time possible that her mom told her she needs to drink a lot of water everyday as a way to be allowed to get a drink.
rubyanne is offline   Reply With Quote

GreenBunny

Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Learned helplessness: I have one child who will say "I don't know" when she is asked the simplest question such as "what colour is that?"

Teeny little voices: when children talk in those very quiet voices that nobody can hear.

Whining. I always tell them I don't speak whine.

Bathroom questions JUST after recess or lunch. If you have to go so bad you're going to pee your pants, you had to go 10 minutes ago at recess. Tomorrow, I'll say no. Of course, I never say no but I still give my mini-lecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radsub19
*being called "teacher". I write my name on the board and re-state it several times. ...snip...
I know what you mean!! When I was subbing in a 6/7 class, I wrote my name on the board in my big primary printing. A girl said to me in her snottiest tone, "um, Ms Teacher-person?" I pointed to my name and said, "My name is on the board. It's Mrs" She interrupted me in an even snottier tone and said, "yeah, whatever. Our class doesn't like subs? So, uh..." looking at me expectantly. I looked back at her like she was from Mars and said, "I don't really know what to do with that information but isn't it lucky for me that I'm not a sub. I'm your guest teacher for the afternoon. Get busy." Her jaw dropped to the floor and I had no more trouble from her.
GreenBunny is online now   Reply With Quote

kas327

I have another
Old 11-14-2009, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

This happened this week, but has happened before. We had a science test on Friday. We filled out a study guide the previous week, studied in class, wrote it down everyday in their planner, had it on our weekly brochure, had it posted on my website. I say on Thursday, "Don't forget, we have a science test tomorrow." I know all of you brilliant teachers can guess what one of my darlings said...
kas327 is offline   Reply With Quote

SunGirl

These are funny! :)
Old 11-14-2009, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

My biggest right now is a little girl who will say in a very loud voice "Teacher, I didn't get one!". Yeah, that's because I am passing them out in order from front to back and I clearly haven't reached your row yet!!!
SunGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ggluvbug

Old 11-14-2009, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

• When I ask a student about a misbehavior and they respond "I ain't did that!" What makes that worse is when I saw them do it myself.
  • When we have gone through a lesson, done guided practice, I have written assignment on the board, and I hear either "What are we doing?" or "I don't know how to do this!" Really??? So you were faking it when you gave me answers during guided practice?
  • PENCILS---need I say more?
  • One very sweet girl in my class who insists on tattling or trying to dictate what we do in class. The other day, I told her I was going to buy her a t-shirt that says "I want to be the teacher!" UGH!
ggluvbug is offline   Reply With Quote

GAtchr246

Words
Old 11-14-2009, 04:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

When they do something wrong and they say, "it's because... " or "Thats Mines!" and the worst. "i don't get.." urg.
GAtchr246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

these are so true
Old 11-14-2009, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

• I hate when kids say "I don't get it" before they even look at it.
  • Also the whole sharpened pencil thing I just don't understand. Why do you need to get a pencil out of the can when you have eight sharpened pencils in your desk! I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of the cans.
  • I hate when kids tap me to get my attention. I tap them right back!
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

busybee4

Can I go to the bathroom?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

In my first grade, no one needs to ask-just go. One boy still interrupts my small group instruction table where I have placed three orange traffic cones there as a reminder DO NOT INTERRUPT- to ask "Can I Use The Bathroom?" I point to the cones and tell him if he can't he should see a doctor. The kids sitting near by turn to him each time and tell him "Don't ask just go!" "He then says "Oh yaah I forgot." He does this twice each day for 47 days and counting.
busybee4 is offline   Reply With Quote

krazykaye

Old 11-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Mine is, "What do I do now?" when they know what to do.
krazykaye is offline   Reply With Quote

mrs_b_from_nc

Didn't read yet
Old 11-14-2009, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Wanted to post mine before reading...
Top of my list has got to be anything dealing with time of day. For example:
  • Is it time for _______?
  • Will we go to recess today?
  • What day is it? (for specials)
I want to scream sometimes - they are in 4th grade and I know most of them can tell time and read a calendar. The others, I know they CAN read the morning slideshow, they just don't.

Other pet peeves...
  • Not returning stuff - either claiming they didn't know to bring it back (sorry, duh, you wrote it in the agenda!) or their "mama" didn't put it in the backpack. (sorry, you're in 4th grade, retire that excuse)
  • Any response that brings up "my mama" or "my grandma" jabs my buttons
  • Asking to sharpen a pencil or go somewhere in the middle of a lesson
  • Asking if they can do normal, usual things that they NEVER have to ask to do (change class library books, sit on the floor to see better, get a tissue, etc.)
I could go on, but I want to go back and read other responses! Fun thread

Last edited by mrs_b_from_nc; 11-14-2009 at 06:25 PM..
mrs_b_from_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

gingercat

Middle schoolers - my list
Old 11-14-2009, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

could go on and on!!!! I'll try to pick out my top 5:

1. Blurting out answers when I call on another student by name!
2. Sitting there doing nothing because they lost their pencil
3. What do I do next? Right after I give out a task and they haven't even started it yet.
4. drawing on whiteboards instead of writing the answer
5. students who lose pencils from class to class!!!!

Middle schoolers - gotta love them
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote

gingercat

Wait one more
Old 11-14-2009, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

pet peeve....when administrators come in my room when I'm teaching and just stand there so that I stop teaching and talk to them...its like teaching isn't important...doesn't matter what I'm teaching, the kids just sit while they talk..I understand in an urgent situation, but not stuff that could wait until passing period or prep time....
gingercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lady Teacher

I forgot one
Old 11-14-2009, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I also hate when my students say "I'm done" My response is always "good for you" Don't tell me you are done, turn in your work!
Lady Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

laughoften

Old 11-14-2009, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Ha, I also can't stand the "I don't get it". Drives me crazy. So I started an "I don't get it" jar, each time one of my students says that they have to take 5 minutes of their recess time and write out an explanation for what they "didn't get" and put it in the jar. With exception of one student, who has an awful self esteem, it's working.

I have kids who tip their chair too. I've only had one kid fall out of the chair. But I do tell my kids they have 3 strikes and they lose their chair. I tell them if they don't know how to sit in it, they lose it. By the second strike I tell them, just so you know I will not have sympathy for you if you fall. I will certainly send/help you if you are hurt, but I will not feel bad for the choice you are making.
Is that harsh? I don't know.

Hmmm.... I'm sure I have others but I can't think of them now.
laughoften is offline   Reply With Quote

VATeach06

Pet peeve
Old 11-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

I have pre-k students and my pet peeve is when students do not bring their homework or their homework folders in. I know it is not the students fault, because it requires the parents to take some initiative and help their child for 5 minutes. I don't understand how a parent does not have time to help their student learn how to write their name. Sorry I didn't mean to vent.

Another pet peeve of mine, is when parents make their children personal messengers. I would prefer a parent write a note or call me with a concern, than have their child relay a message to me. I teach four and five year old children sometimes they forget what they are supposed to tell me or they just forget to tell me period. Oh, well!
VATeach06 is offline   Reply With Quote

lamaestra

Old 11-14-2009, 11:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

Yes, I posted before, but the "I don't get it" is a BIG pet peeve. When in reality they don't know the answer or have not even tried to do it. "I don't get it" to me means I don't want to do it, it's too difficult, or I'm clueless.
lamaestra is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

The huge one for me this year is when I call on a student who is wildly waving their hand in the air and they say "I forgot!" the minute I call on them.

Another - asking what to do when they are done. Same thing EVERY DAY.

or.... the kid who always asks "What's a .....?" after I have spent 15 minutes explaining the concept.

I also have a girl who when I ask her a question will shrug her shoulders. I swear I could ask her her name and she would shrug.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

rhubarb

LOL don't get it jar
Old 11-15-2009, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

I like that! I need to start the tattle jar and the "I'm done." jar. This is a great thread, thanks OP for starting it. I have to agree with the poster(s) who wrote "Where are we going?" The kids ask that every single time we line up. I told them last week that we are either going to gym, music or computers. I have been tempted to say the moon, driving your teacher insane, up the wall or what have you.

I have to add another favorite. "My homework ain't done because... insert whatever." My answer to this is again the broken record that it is their problem not mine.
I teach 4th

Love4Learn

Old 11-15-2009, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

I can't stand when students (fourth graders) are sitting there doing NOTHING because they "don't get it!" or they "need help" (aka they want the answers spoon fed to them)

Typically, the main problem is they haven't even looked at the directions or listened to my instructions on how to complete the assignment. To top it off, when I approach the student to redirect them to the directions, they flip out and yell "You're fussing at me and I aint don't nothing!!". My reply is "I know you are not doing ANYTHING... that's the problem!!!".
Love4Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

polarteach

Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I agree with everybody!!! You have named all of my pet peeve's. This is a great thread to see that most of us have the same pet peeve's. The one that gets me the most is when the students are done with the paper and ask "where do I put it" or they try and give me the paper. I just look at them and say "If you give me that paper, you know I will lose it, where does it go?" Then the answer is, "Oh yeah, I forgot"
polarteach is offline   Reply With Quote

rpzieg

Interrupting!!!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

My class this year CONSTANTLY interrupts conversations I am having with other children, other teachers, parents, and the principal! They either talk "at" me or tap the heck out of my arm. I ignore them until I can't stand any longer and then in my most stern teacher voice say, "I am talking with someone else, you are interrupting."

Perhaps this bothers me so much because I got in big trouble as a child from my mother because I interrupted!
rpzieg is offline   Reply With Quote

jomo

Drives me crazy
Old 11-15-2009, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #46

when I am telling a student how to do something and they tell me "I know" before I finish.
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote

MissC83

pet peeve-5th grade
Old 11-15-2009, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #47

I HATE it when kids come up to me and say "Miss C, someone took my pencil." Do you think I took it?? Why don't you look on the floor around your desk before you flip out!?

"Miss C, I can't find my paper! I turned my paper in! Someone must've taken it out!!" Of course, as soon as I tell the student to look in their desk, the paper magically appears.

I also cringe when students repeat the same questions because they aren't listening.

Does anyone else have students that raise their hand and say "I have a question." Then they tell you something instead of asking a question? I have several kids like this this year...it's always funny to listen to the other kids correct the kid that doesn't know the difference between a question and a statement.
MissC83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Teachin'U

Teachin'U

Old 11-15-2009, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #48

When a kid asks..."Is there a re-test?" as I'm handing out a test.

bamafan

I have to add-
Old 11-15-2009, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #49

I had to come back and add another of my pet peeves that I thought of. Students who raise their hand and holler "ooh, ooh, ooh" like they have just discovered the meaning of life. When you call one them they either just sit there and say nothing or say, "I forgot". I could just scream. I've told mine over and over that a raised hand indicates, to me, that they have an answer or idea to share. Don't wait until I call on you and then try to think of an answer!

Another: When a student says, "Is this for a grade?" I simply tell them that they should take the time and care to complete ALL of their work as if I'm going to put a grade on it!
bamafan is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

For those who asked
Old 11-15-2009, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #50

if something they said was too harsh, I have an answer for all of you. No, none of you are too harsh! Really!

I, too, have enjoyed this thread and agree with so many of the pet peeves.
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

tchr creature

Boundaries
Old 11-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #51

Do they have any?

This is me: "What is the rule about touching things on my desk?"

Seriously - stirring my coffee with their finger! Argh! Their reply? "I don't know."

I say: "Please get your finger out of my coffee."

Coffee. My only sanctuary. Don't touch teacher's coffee.

Oh yeah I teach gr one.
tchr creature is offline   Reply With Quote

minteacher

pet peeves
Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #52

Miss, is this for a grade?
She took my answer.
Somebody took my _________. I ask them "Why didn't you stop the robber before he took your___________." They don't want to take responsibility for losing or misplacing something.
I didn't know we had homework. (Then why is it written in your agenda?)

Students who try to turn in homework after we've orally checked it. I want to ask, "Do I look like a fool?" But they might answer in the affirmative.
minteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Apples28

Apples28

This is awesome...
Old 11-15-2009, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #53

I'm 100% on board with what a PP said about learned helplessness. My (least) favorite is "I didn't know that I was supposed to do it for homework." It's on the assignment sheet, we talked about it in class, and every other child did it. I have one kid who says this at least once per week. If I say "Amanda, every other kid knew to do it...," she cries. I teach sixth grade. It drives me insane.

2inspire

Old 11-15-2009, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #54

I tell students to put incomplete writing in the "Unfinished Work" folder so that they will know where it is the next time we work on the assignment. Last time, I had three, yes three, students who could not find the writing assignment! Each had stuffed it into the black hole of his or her desk, which, by the way, we clean out every Friday!
2inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

divingin

Pet Peeves
Old 11-15-2009, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #55

some are the same as other teachers, which I am glad...I just thought I needed to retire already!:-)

1. "What do we do with it when we are finished?" I want to say..."Put in the same BIG BLACK BOX you have been putting it in since mid AUGUST!"

2. "What are we doing next?" Just to jazz it up a bit, sometimes I walk in and write "Backwards Day" on the board and we do the same schedule, just backwards. It breaks the boring cycle.

3. "He just looked at me funny", "He is touching my desk", "He says I didn't do it"...same child just constantly, and I mean CONSTANTLY..I hate whining!

4. "My momma said...." anything after that just irritates me.

5. "Ms. Blah-blah(2nd grade teacher) used to let us do such and such..." My response "Well, good thing I am not Ms. Blah-Blah or you would get bored with doing the same thing every year, right?"

I could go on...but do you see why I think I should retire....it ALL peeves me lately.
divingin is offline   Reply With Quote

Surita

Here are some of mine
Old 11-15-2009, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #56

Besides the "where's this go?"; "When is lunch?"; "What's for lunch?";

Here are mine....

I will say, "Take out a sheet of paper..." and twenty students get up out of their seat to go to the community paper bin to get ONE SHEET of notebook paper .....?!?!?! (So you know what the next subject brings..."

Using sticky notes to pass notes to neighbors...

Thinking I am the building maintenance woman...
"The commode is running over..." (What do I look like a plumber?)
"We're out of menus in the lunchroom..." (Am I the cafeteria chef?)
"The water fountain stopped working..." (Again with the plumber thing..

Also, things will happen among the students while they are at specials when I am not there.
So, what do they do? Do they inform the PE teacher, librarian, music teacher...etc?

NOOOOO

They wait, say TWO HOURS, and then tell me.
Oh, yeah, Johnny pinched me in PE.
Well did you tell the PE teacher?
UHHHHH, no.

Another peeve is when I am teaching, student will just get up, walk across the full classroom, go over to the pencil sharpener and start grating on their pencil. Looking right at me. I stop everything and look at them with raised brows? Then they raise their brows as if to say "What?" I say, sit down.

ARghhh!!!!
Surita is offline   Reply With Quote

ana-key

My peeve
Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #57

What can I do when I'm done???

I have a big poster and I tell them whatthey can do. Don't ask me.

I need to go to the bathroom?

After we have just gone.

Students calling out answers or answering for others.

I ask them, "What is your name? I am not talking to you."
ana-key is offline   Reply With Quote

gaven

OMG...me too!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #58

I once had a student scream and cry that someone stole her pencil...meanwhile, I am looking at the pencil under her seat!

No matter how many times I give directions someone always ask what do I do? I just look at them like they're from another planet!
gaven is offline   Reply With Quote

kevswife

Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #59

divingin...I had one of those "my momma said" students last year, except it was "my dad said..." One day when I'd had enough, I replied, "Your dad is not in charge of this class. He doesn't make the rules and he has no say over anyone in here except you and that is exactly who he should be worried about. I will take care of the rest."

I never heard "my dad said" again....
kevswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

pet peeves
Old 11-16-2009, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #60

1. Not paying attention
2. Playing/fiddling at desk when the child should be listening
3. Detached/not involved in the learning
4. Head down/overly tired because he/she didn't get to bed early enough
5. Trying to answer a question for somebody else
6. Talking when I'm talking
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

vika

Noises!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #61

I have 4th graders and they make little noises all the time! I had to put in on my rule chart "No noises, humming or singing during independent work.
vika is offline   Reply With Quote

abookworm

Oh, I have a few...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #62

The Monkey: "OOOH!! OOOH! I know!!" (waves hands wildly)

The Pest: "Mrs.___, He hit meeee...."

The Suck-Up: "Ssssshhhhh...." (I HATE THAT NOISE!!!)

The DumbA$$: "What are we doing?"
abookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 11-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #63

abookworm:

You named them! Thank you! They're in my class too, but I didn't know their names

I guess kids are alike everywhere
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

tricewaldorf

you hit it on the spot
Old 11-17-2009, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #64

Abookworm pretty much summed it up for me!! Ugghhhhh these kids....gotta love them!
tricewaldorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Rm. 802

Made my Day!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #65

This list has made my day. My PPs are:

1. The 4th grader who points and says,"tissue", "restroom". On the "tissue" day I had had it and said tissues, yes, I have some thanks. I think she got the picture.

2. Oh, yes the raising their hand and then saying, "I have a question." I've started to say that is usually why you raise your had.

I loved Mrs. B from NC. I also like the crumpled papers one and what do I do with this finished work. Ummm maybe the finished work basket.

Have a GREAT day!
Rm. 802 is offline   Reply With Quote

spidrteach

Old 11-17-2009, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #66

Oy.

A few of mine are real winners at just popping up DURING a lesson when I am teaching and walking RIGHT up to me and asking to go to the bathroom. Do we have bathroom breaks? Yes. Are the other 15 of them aware they aren't supposed to do this? Yes. Why do these 4 or 5 continue to do this? I DON'T KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. .

The pencil thing drives me bananas. So, my "cleaner uppers" are asked twice a day to do a pencil sweep. Any pencils on the floor are fair game and go in the sharp/please sharpen jars as appropriate.

It annoys me to no end to find someone furiously sharpening a pencil that "just broke" when we started the lesson and come to find out it's not actually broken, just not sharpened down to that murderous point they seem to so enjoy.

I told them I was no longer going to answer two questions: "How long until recess?" and "How long until lunch?" They are able to tell time now and they should be able to get within a few minutes of figuring it out on their own.

"Do I have to do this worksheet/paper/whatever?"

After standing them outside the room, telling them EXACTLY what book they need on their desk and what else to get out, and SPECIFICALLY saying, "These are the things you need, DO NOT ask me to do anything different," one of them will most certainly trot up to me and start a sentence with, "Can I?" And I just repeat the same thing I just said until they get mad and huff off to follow directions.

Kids using the word "gay" for any and everything.
spidrteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Becca Irene

Too Funny
Old 11-18-2009, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #67

Loved reading everyone's posts.

My big pet peeve: calling me teacher while repeatedly poking me on the arm to get my attention.
Becca Irene is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #68

I know this thread is several days old, but I just had to keep it going.

The kid who blurts out "I don't have to go to the bathroom" when I say "Class, line up so we can go to the bathroom" and ten minutes after returning from said bathroom break blurts out "Teacher, I have to go to the bathroom. I'm about to pee on myself."

After one student has properly and respectfully given me the signal by covering her nose and raising her hand, I go get a tissue to give her without having to stop teaching, but then turn around to find fifteen covered noses and hands waving wildly in the air. Then there is that student who wanders the room aimlessly whenever he feels like it, has to constantly be reminded that rule #3 is "Raise your hand to get permission to leave your seat." Unless I have given him a tissue, and then he is going to raise his hand and interrupt my lesson to ask, "May I throw my tissue away?" If he remembers to that he is allowed to throw the tissue away without asking for permission so that the lesson will not be interrupted, he will return to his seat and will two minutes later begin waving his hand to say "I forgot to get my hand sanitizer."

The constant asking of "Are we going outside today?" or my favorite "Are we going to eat lunch?" I once answered a first grader "No, not today."

The kid who responds to any correction by tattling on another child.

After I ask child A to stop doing that, child B looks up and thinks "hey that looks like fun" and immediately starts doing what I asked Child A to stop doing.

When I ask a question and kids start blurting out wrong answers before I've even finished asking the question. "Class, what letter does..." "SEVEN!"

Last edited by Mrs.Lilbit; 11-20-2009 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Too many typos and I'm a perfectionist.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

SuzyM

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #69

I can't stand humming during instruction.

When you hand out papers and if someone doesn't get one, they just sit there instead of saying, "I didn't get one." Even after you ask if all got a paper. But, you know when they didn't get the cupcakes you were handing out loud and clear!
SuzyM is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 11-21-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #70

Quote:
The huge one for me this year is when I call on a student who is wildly waving their hand in the air and they say "I forgot!" the minute I call on them.
This is happening in my class, too! All year I've had this going on and it drives me crazy. Also, every day when we come back from specials (first thing in the morning for us), I tell them to finish their morning work. And every single day a kid will ask, "Can we have our snack?" This has been our designated snack time since the first day of school - eat your snack while doing morning work. I am so tempted to cut out snack time the next time someone asks me...

And, of course, there is the other thing that drives me nuts: asking where to turn in work (mentioned in another thread). The same trays that have been in the same place all year, duh!! Not to mention asking what time lunch is. It's posted on the board and it's been the same time all year again. I wonder why I bother to write a schedule on the board every day!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote