Help

The VENT

Overcoming an Awful Year

>

Dillolynn1

Overcoming an Awful Year
Old 07-25-2019, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Last year was the worst of my 13-year career. The kids we're absolutely disrespectful to everyone, and I felt burned out. I'm trying to shake it off and go back with a positive attitude, but I just feel dread that everything will be awful again. Does anyone have tips for letting go?

Dillolynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-25-2019, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In 20+ years, I've had two "worst year ever" years.
The first time it was a thoroughly dysfunctional admin team. They were dismissed and our new admin was wonderful!
The second time is more recent, and it was the kids and their parents.

I learned to let it go by remembering that God, my DH, and my team all have my back.

I also had to turn my empathy to high. I am the product of an unstable home, and although I wasn't super rude or disruptive in school, I'm sure I took my frustrations out on adults who I know would love me no matter what. That's what most of my most disruptive or rude kids are dealing with. I just keep the prayers going, for me and for them.

Good luck to you as you work to let go and enjoy the next round!
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Awful year
Old 07-25-2019, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, this was extreme, but...I got a tattoo that says “misneach” which is Gaelic for “courage”.

Also, I completely cleansed the room before school started. Opened all doors and windows, lit a lavender candle, put salt on window sill for a day...any ritual that you think will help clear the air.

And reminded myself “no God would do this to me twice in a row.”
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Following closely
Old 07-25-2019, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

(((((HUGS))))))

Sending you hugs! No advice, but I'm in the same boat. It was a really rough year for me, too. I know this year will be a fresh start, but I really just can't get motivated to do anything for school right not. I feel like summer went by way to fast and I'm not totally rejuvenated yet. I will be watching this thread closely for advice!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuvsPixieDust

Best advice I was given
Old 07-25-2019, 10:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My DH told me once, "Don't let a 12 year old ruin your day." That was back when we were newlyweds and he was 23. I was early in my teaching career and so frustrated that I wanted to quit.

28 years later, I still remind myself to say this!!!! I reminded myself a lot last year!!

LuvsPixieDust is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Try to put your mind back on the nice kids from last year. Usually when you have "that class" there are at least 1 or 2 that were nice kids. I try to remember that those kids who are disrespectful have something going wrong in their lives or they wouldn't be like that. As hard as it is, I thank God for putting me in a position to help those kids, especially when it's hard. I just read an article that talks about how being grateful literally re-wires your brain and won't allow you to be depressed/upset. It sounds easier than it is sometimes, I know. I hope you get an easier class this year. We all need a break from "those classes."
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

New beginnings and endings...
Old 07-25-2019, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The best thing about teaching is that it always gives the students and their teacher a chance to start over. Some classes are just like what you described. The mix of the class was probably not a good one, contributing to the problem. Sometimes, a whole grade level is awful. Three of the five of us had rough classes last year. That was just the way the grade level was.

The second best thing is that it is a 10 month school year. If the class is less than stellar, they move on and you get another chance with a clean slate. Don't let memories of last year's kids trouble you. And if you felt you had some things that worked, build on those.

Wishing you a fantastic school year!
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Summerwillcom

How about planning a few fun (to you)
Old 07-25-2019, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

activities for the beginning of the yr? It could give you something to look forward to anyways. Also, it could take your mind off of the dread for awhile.
When I start to dread something like that, I find it helps to go do something fun with a friend. Shopping for new school clothes is fun to me. It kind of gets me back in the mood.
I hope you have a better year to come!
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

puakai

Advice
Old 07-25-2019, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The best advice I can give you is not to take things personally. The kids are not trying to break YOU, they are just acting out for many different reasons. Also try to control what YOU can, yourself and how you react to things. This has worked for me.
puakai is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-25-2019, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I suggest getting some nice things for your classroom to help get you in the mood. Whether it's some cute posters or classroom organizers, etc. Maybe a cute lesson plan book with a nice pen. New clothes for your teacher wardrobe as a pp mentioned.

Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 07-25-2019, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

A wise coach once told me, "No kid is big enough, bad enough, or rude enough to derail my career."

He told me this when I asked him how he stayed year after year.

I would think of this many times when I wanted to quit. It got me to retirement.

((hugs))
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Old 07-25-2019, 11:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Year 19. My last two years were the years from HELL. I'm burned out and don't want to do this anymore. I'm trapped for 4 years until retirement. I feel the same way you do.
desert flower is online now   Reply With Quote

Socks

Tough Year
Old 07-26-2019, 08:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I've always worked in Title 1 schools in pretty bad areas. Each year seems to get worse. Last year was almost unbearable. The kids were mean, disrespectful, and not fun. The parents were mean, disrespectful, and not fun. I had one threaten to call CPS on me. (Child was eventually moved to another room for my sake.) My principals saw what a tough time I was having and offered for me to change positions next year, just for something different. It was up to me. After A LOT of thought and consideration, I decided to go for it. It's a very different position than I've done in the past and I'm excited for the change. After last year, I couldn't imagine being excited to go back this year doing the same thing (especially after one of the teachers in the grade below me complained about many of the same problems with her students). I'm hopeful that this new position will re-energize me as I still have quite a few years to go and if things continue like last year, I won't make it.

Is there a way you might be able to do something different at your school?
A new grade level? Subject area?

Good luck to you!
Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
TASAEGSGAER

TASAEGSGAER

d
Old 07-26-2019, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I've taught both urban and rural title 1 for the past four years. After this next year I am going to make sure I leave for a good school, and I will start applying early, and won't geographically limit myself. I'm tired of being abused and used each year. I really want my "real" school career to start at my forever school. I'm tired of hearing about how these kids "need us", when we are expected to just take the abuse on a daily basis. Until the culture changes and there are real consequences, I want nothing to do with title 1, just as soon as I can leave.

grav_def

Old 07-26-2019, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am right there with you: last year was horrible! I burst into tears of relief on my way home after the last teacher work day, and I spent the next week unable to get off my couch. This summer has been all about healing, and it's really only in the last couple of weeks that I've started to feel ok again.

I've been thinking a lot about ways to make next year better. A few of them are school related (eg, figuring out curriculum stuff now, because one of the things that made last year so fun was the district suddenly deciding to change ALL our curricula, then not giving the TOSAs who were supposed to be writing the new stuff time and resources to get it done before I needed to teach it. Sorry, that turned into a rant. ). Mostly, though, it's about taking care of ME: leaving on time (ish), reclaiming my weekends for fun instead of chores, exercising regularly, things like that. I'm not excited about going back yet, but I'm dreading it a little less, at least...
grav_def is offline   Reply With Quote

cutecat

Old 07-26-2019, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I have been teaching a long while and I had two years that were absolutely awful. The good news is that they were not in a row! In both situations the next year was wonderful. Just remember, no two years are ever the same so try to let it go. You said last year was your worst but it also probably made you a stronger teacher. I hope you have a great school year!
cutecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Year 21
Old 07-28-2019, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Made me feel terrible, but I realized it wasn't me. It was VERY hard to shake off! Some years are like that.
Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote