Help

The VENT

first year failures

>

elementor

first year failures
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first year special education teacher doing all day in class support. The general ed teacher and I are having some problems figuring out schedules and becoming one unit. She is a fairly new teacher as well, and has never worked with another teacher or had special ed kids in her class. On top of which, it's her tenure year which is adding more stress onto her shoulders.
However, I do not feel as though she is telling me what she needs me to do and then she does it herself and gets upset that I didn't do it. This is causing a lot of frustration and a lot of extra work on both of our parts because there is such a great lack of communication!! Does anyone have some suggestions on ways for us to plan lessons together better and communicate with one another so that no one gets offended? This sounds like such a simple thing to do, but we are really struggling and I am feeling as though she thinks it is my fault a lot of the time!! Please help.

elementor is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 10-27-2009, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As the general ed teacher, I have often felt as though I was being judged by those persons coming in and working my classroom. I know it was my feeling and not truly the case; however, it may be what she is feeling. You may not be doing anything to justify this feeling; however, it may be how she is taking it as it is an intrusion to the classroom teacher. I know when I have other adults in the room I am not nearly as animated and dorky as when it's just the kids and myself.

With that said, I would approach the teacher and let her know that you know the situation isn't the ideal teaching environment for her but you are there to support her and the child you are working with. Then request a weekly meeting time to be scheduled after the general ed teacher has had the opportunity to complete the lesson plans for the next week. This will allow you both the chance to go over what the general ed teacher needs to cover and you can discuss ways in which you can assist and you will be better prepared for what is to take place and how you can handle your student in order to support both the teacher and the child.

Also, let the general ed teacher know you are there not only for the child, but for her as well. But also, nicely, let her know that you can't anticipate what she needs done and you don't want to step on toes by just doing; so, you'd like her to give you instructions on how you can assist her in the regular duties.

I would think as a special ed teacher, and knowing the gripes we get around here, a general ed teacher would also appreciate all modifications to lessons being your responsibility. As the general ed teacher trying to plan and prepare for the class where a special ed teacher is also present would make me think as soon as you know the lessons being taught, you can then prepare all modifications and accommodations.

I know around here our teachers get frustrated because they are to make all those adjustments and many times we general ed teachers aren't fully aware of all the tools we have at our disposal and we aren't sure what we should and should not modify ~ therefore, since it's your speciality, we appreciate the modifications being taken off our plate

Good luck with your situation!! It's hard to combine two people in one class.
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

Old 10-29-2009, 03:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am a sped teacher and agree with Teachnut. Communication is imperative in co-teaching. When the reg ed teacher has her plans for the coming week done, then you need to get together (I would ask for a set time so you both can meet with no interuptions). This way you can see what is coming up and then prepare the accoms and modifications for the subjects. This will take some stress of the reg ed teacher and allow you to do your job. I get the feeling that the reg ed teacher is feeling really pressured right now. You will have to be the one to open the communication. She may not understand the parameters of your job and it is up to you to discuss with her what you need to do to level the playing field for the special education children and help all students be successful. Good luck to you in your teaming!
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Spedtcher

Was recently coteaching
Old 10-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

with another teacher and I agree it was HARD!!!! One thing that we did that worked was trade off the lessons so we taught every other day. We would plan a general concept for the week, split up the days and then discuss our plans. We also were clear what we would do when we weren't teaching the lesson (help this particular student do___). This really did help us "share" the classroom and responsibilities.

That being said, I am so HAPPY I moved into my own classroom last week!!!! Now I can do everything I want to do!
Ima Spedtcher is offline   Reply With Quote