It's hard to decide if I am ready to retire... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Retired Teachers

It's hard to decide if I am ready to retire...

>

lecigale

It's hard to decide if I am ready to retire...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi Friends,

Well I am 58 and at 34 years. I am a super hard worker, and really just got the assignment I have wanted for awhile. My classroom is great and families super supportive and wonderful. the problem is I am so tired and I just don't feel that I have a life outside of my classroom anymore. I am thinking of retiring at the end of this year, now.Unless my energy gets back up. I would make 70% of my salary which is good for me. I am on my own and I know I would miss the kids and families an d the work but it is just so much work.
Was it hard for you to decide?
Last edited by leci

lecigale is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 10-07-2011, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, I think you know if you read my previous posts that I couldn't wait to get out of there!!! You still have plenty of time to decide, unless you are thinking about retiring in December.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

4strong

Penalty?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Do you have a penalty if you are under 60 or do your 34 years take care of that?
4strong is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 10-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had to go longer, so I am older and got full retirement. I guess you need to decide if you can live on your retirement or if you want to get another full time job or part time. You say 70% is good for you, so I assume you can make it. I love retirement, even on the days I have nothing to do. I am happy being away from the stress of teaching, and not having that sinking feeling on Sundays. Not hard for me to decide at all.
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

dex

I could have written your post - almost
Old 10-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Take off a year or two and I'm right there with you. Doing things with friends this summer, who have recently retired, has really gotten me thinking. I enjoy my time IN the classroom (and FINALLY have a decent class this year), but I'm so tired of all of the other "stuff" that goes along with teaching. I'm tired of staying late after school, and dragging those bags home with me. I'm tired both physically and mentally. Like you, I feel that I really don't have much of a life from the end of Aug. through the beginning of June. As always, more and more is thrown at us every year. I've pretty much decided that this is going to be my next to the last year. I want to start enjoying life while I still can!

dex is offline   Reply With Quote

lecigale

70% and freedom?
Old 10-07-2011, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi readbooks2,

thank you for your reply, I am going to go over the numbers some more ; to be doubly sure that 70% is ok for me. Right now I don't want to work any more at any other job as of yet, so we'll see how it will all go.
Thank you again.

lecigale

To Dex
Old 10-07-2011, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you, I hear you, having several friends who are off all of the time; really makes me wish I could join them too....more kayaking, cycling etc. I feel like I neglect my friends and myself. Thank you for your response.

lecigale

Penalties
Old 10-07-2011, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Well in CA we don't get a penalty under 60, but we cannot retire until 55.

lecigale

Penalties
Old 10-08-2011, 12:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just checked and in CA you can retire after 50 if you have 30 years. I will be at 76% instead of 70%. So I think I am going to go for it!

TNcTeacher

Enjoy
Old 10-09-2011, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I hope you enjoy your retirement and reflect back on the days when you first began teaching and found joy in the smiles and giggles of children as their light bulbs when off and learning was amazing in their eyes. I hope you can look at the trees as they change colors and the flicker of a candles glow and think of one child that you too changed and made flicker as they caught on to something new and challenging for the first time. Take time to recall one child's name and maybe even pay one child a visit or send one a card of encouragement. Enjoy these days as a moment to relax in and enjoy; triumph through your precious memories of the classroom and enjoy the ups and downs, the good and bad. Laugh a little, smile a lot, and rejoice in the thought that you and your friends made changes in so many lives that you touched with your magic called “knowledge."

TNcTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Kate26

me
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had planned on teaching longer, but when they offered an incentive last year to retire my dh persuaded me to take it. I am so happy I retired. I could have gone on but I am loving the quality of life I have now.
Kate26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Smartmouth

Content and not cranky
Old 10-16-2011, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know I can't retire and live at all comfortably as I will have two children in college in a couple of years and we are paying for most of it. I guess I want to see my children financially independent before I can consider it. I hope I just know when I'm ready to retire. I hope I don't get mean and cranky and that's how I'll know.
It sounds like you have lived/are living a good teaching life, you're content now but you're also ready to enjoy retirement. You are lucky and it seems like you're in a good place in your life.
Smartmouth is offline   Reply With Quote

hello3

Old 10-19-2011, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I'm considering retirement. In my state you must have 30 years and be 55. I am 62 and will have 29 1/2 years at the end of this year. I would so love it if they would give an early buy out. I am very aware that the new world of education does not want old folks like me but I still have lots to offer--in fact I am innovative and enthusiastic. But my husband just retired and I am beginning to realize that my time left is time I want to send with him. Then there is the stress test I had today. It was ok but it really has made me think.
hello3 is offline   Reply With Quote

act56

Nope
Old 11-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Nonononononononononononono!
act56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

sounds like you got it right
Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I'm not quite there yet, need a few more years, at least. But I've seen some good friends retire in recent years. One retired too late- she wasn't doing the quality teaching she had always done- too overwhelmed with all kinds of things, and that was sad. One retired too early- had the age and years, but still was a dynamo and had so much to offer our kids. And the 3rd one got it just right- still was doing a great job, but she knew she was ready to move on. Her last class got as good as her first, and she was the ultimate professional to her last day. But she had had enough, and knew it was time to relax with her grandchildren. I hope I get it just right, too. Sounds like you are going out on top, just like my 3rd buddy. And now when I see the 3 of them, they looked so darned relaxed it's unbelievable! They can't seem to stop grinning. I am so happy for them!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

magteach

Health Insurance
Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

You didn't mention anything about health insurance. I just don't want you to forget what expenses will be out of pocket. I retired.....this is my second year.......and although I miss the kids, I don't miss the rest of the stuff. And there are so many times, inclement weather, not feeling well, Sunday nights, report cards, etc. to celebrate, you can really celebrate a lot! Good luck, I hope you do it.....just keep looking forward and not back.

Could you take a leave and test the waters?
magteach is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Munchkins
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Quote:
They can't seem to stop grinning.
This is so true! Lately I have been noticing a lot more grin lines around my mouth and eyes. Seriously, retirement has been the best decision I've made. Using Munchkins' analogy, I thought I had perhaps retired too early, but after 16 months of retirement I'm starting to realize I retired "just right."
I see the uphill struggles that teachers in my district are facing in all areas (bigger classes, reduction in pay, higher health insurance costs, more top-down pressure because of scores, etc.) and I am so glad I am not part of any of that any more.
cvt is online now   Reply With Quote