Help

The VENT

Coach Boone Got it Right

>

tiredannie

Coach Boone Got it Right
Old 11-29-2016, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Coach Boone: "You think you're doing these boys a favor taking them aside every time I come down on them; protecting them from big, bad Boone. Now I may be a mean cuss. But I'm the same mean cuss with everybody out there on that football field. The world don't give a damn about how sensitive these kids are, especially the young, black kids. You ain't doing these kids a favor by patronizing them. You're crippling them; You're crippling them for life." (from "Remember the Titans")

I never understood the true depth of this quote until I became a teacher (in Title I schools). I really wish more people in Education understood this; especially in schools where students are coming from dismal home situations. We do no favors by lowering standards for them. When we do, students end up graduating with a "diploma," but in reality, are leaving high school as functionally illiterate adults. Not ok for them or our society. In most cases, education is their ONLY WAY OUT. They need to be able to compete, survive, and thrive in an unforgiving world. This is not possible if they aren't being challenged, held accountable, or held to the same expectations as their peers in "well-to-do" schools and neighborhoods. And it's frustrating for teachers to be criticized for having academic standards and choosing to not give in to the pressures of grade inflation, spoon-feeding information, and parental intimidation.

I'm also venting because I am so sick of my administrators perpetuating this notion that I'm too old school or insinuating that my standards are "too high for our kids." Really? By requiring that they come to class on time, come to class prepared, think critically, and meet deadlines? Wow. I had no idea this is now considered "old school." Oh, and do you realize that it's a subtle form of racism to suggest that my black students (particularly the boys) are unable to do as well as their wealthier, white counterparts...simply because they're black and are from a low-income household? I'm a black teacher, by the way, so I know first hand why these kids need to make it, and it's why I'm practically killing myself to be the best teacher possible..because I care. I care so much that I choose not to coddle them. No, I'm keeping my standards high because they can reach them! I'm trying to prepare them both academically and socially, for thriving in life--not just surviving.

Thanks for letting me get this off of my chest! I've been so wound up that I might burst. This is just really frustrating for me.

Last edited by tiredannie; 11-29-2016 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Credited movie quote
tiredannie is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 11-29-2016, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
By requiring that they come to class on time, come to class prepared, think critically, and meet deadlines?
I can somewhat relate to this quote when our P constantly asks if we're assessing the child's knowledge of the content or their work habits. Doesn't it necessarily have to be both, though of course focused on content? If I don't show up to work half the time, but I CAN teach well, should I still get paid? If a student doesn't do their work, intentionally, why should they get credit? How am I supposed to know if they know the content or not?

Hoping I didn't hijack...just wanted to add to the vent.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

you're not alone
Old 11-30-2016, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd like to think I'm old school as well. Actually, I'm just old and you probably know where the pattern of bad habit starts. We do coddle or enable the bad habits unknowingly when parents do their science projects for them. We fail our students when we come up excuses for them or accept excuses that are total cop-out. In reality, there is no real support system out there and we're setting them up for failure if we do not let them experience consequence.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
TeachKaren

TeachKaren

Shocked
Old 11-30-2016, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

"I'm also venting because I am so sick of my administrators perpetuating this notion that I'm too old school or insinuating that my standards are "too high for our kids." Really?"

An administrator actually said this? How terrible! I understand why you're upset. Just continue to do the best that you can for your students. For what it's worth, I can definitely feel how much you care. Try not to be discouraged.

PoohBear

Old 11-30-2016, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I knew you would be quoting Remember the Titans when I saw your title, such a good movie. I spent most of my career in a white middle class school but I did spend some time in an urban school like yours. One of the teachers was a black woman who had given up an executive position with a big corporation to teach because she saw what those kids were going to need to succeed and she knew they weren't getting it. I had so much admiration for her and for you. Keep doing what you're doing!

PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

SweetTchr

We're not helping them
Old 11-30-2016, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

"Oh, and do you realize that it's a subtle form of racism to suggest that my black students (particularly the boys) are unable to do as well as their wealthier, white counterparts...simply because they're black and are from a low-income household? "

I really agree with this statement and it doesn't even have to apply to just African American students. I feel like we lower standards for any low-income student from impoverished areas. We lower our expectations and standards thinking it's what's best for them, but it's not. The amount of second, third, and fourth chances my school gives their low-income students is not going to help them in their future. We don't hold them accountable for behavior, work habits, or social skills. This is what is eventually going to help them be successful, productive members of society. Not their content knowledge of most subjects.
SweetTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Dubbamom

*virtual high five*
Old 11-30-2016, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I completely agree with you, Tiredannie! And I do think that Coach Boone got it right. Our 8th graders watch this movie every year as it presents the Civil Rights Movement but it also gives them that message that they need to push themselves to succeed because the real world will not give them any breaks!
Dubbamom is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I realize this is completely not the point of the post but had to share it anyway. I actually knew Coach Boone--went to TC Williams and am a proud Titan. I will always remember them, lol!
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

In every way
Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The luck of the draw gave me snack duty this year. When one of them wants me to open something , I patiently demonstrate where to put their fingers and hands or leverage. Then I cheer them on until whatever it is is open. One time and the helpless child never asks again. Bet if they were starving in the wild , their helpless self could rip those containers open. Helplessness is my pet peeve.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Another virtual high five
Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I feel the same way. I don't accept late work. I get questioned about this every year. Emergencies are a different story, but for the most part no late work is accepted. You know what? My students don't turn in assignments late! They rise to the challenge of getting their work in on time.

Students will strive to make their teacher proud. If we have high standards, they will reach them.

Another great movie quote.... Joe Clark said "And tear down those cages in the cafeteria! If we treat our students like animals, that's exactly how they'll behave!"

nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Tiredannie
Old 11-30-2016, 09:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You got it right! I totally agree with you. Too many teachers and admin are enablers who excuse poor study habits and/or poor behavior.
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

Mshope

To Nucleus
Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would love to work at your school. We have all these ridiculous policies where we can't give a grade lower than 50%, have to accept late work, have to retest, and no homework. My students are extremely lazy and completely irresponsible due to these policies. It feels like an uphill battle. For example, some kids will barely open their novel. They will whine, "I'm too tired!" It is really pathetic. I have worked at other low income schools. At one, it was run strictly by a strong, but caring principal. Kids were respectful and knew that playing around was not tolerated. My current school is a joke aside from hard working teachers trying to keep some sort of order.

I always think that kids should be taught to work harder because they will need to in their lives. We have kids who can barely read and don't listen at all. We get the party line, "Oh, he has a bad home life." Yes, we get it. Some of our kids have crappy home lives, but shouldn't they get structure and high expectations at school?
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote