Help

Fourth Grade

Accountability & guided math groups

>

ArtsyFartsyII

Accountability & guided math groups
Old 12-21-2016, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a group of needy and unmotivated students this year and we need to do small group instruction due to being unable to focus during a whole group lesson (even a short one). Some are missing basic math skills which makes the grade level standards that much more difficult. However, they seem to need a teacher sitting right there with them to accomplish anything and the independent stations tend to not get much done at all due to wasting time. They think they can't do things without help... one girl will refuse to do anything without being 1 on 1 with some adult. They don't care about grades. I want to go back after break and get us to where we need to be. We have only 11 kids but they are so much of a handful that you would think there were 40 of them. I had to crack down and ban the students from bringing their chromebooks to math because I was constantly fighting with them sneaking music videos, slither.io type games, etc. Then the students complain about coming to math class because I'm such a meanie and expect them to work and not play around.

I guess this is a rambling but I hope some of you might have some advice.

ArtsyFartsyII is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

I've been there
Old 12-26-2016, 09:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught a reading class like this, but with 24 kids and 4 adults. We took a small group each day after a whole group start. Here are a few ideas that come to mind.
1. Keep it fresh. - I had three sets of small groups prepared so the groups changed as I needed. Some were paired by same level, some boy-girl, some by mixed level.
2. Focus on attention & instruction. - Small group focus was on one activity with many repititions and each person taking a turn. Students were allowed to engage however they could to stay attentive, but we were very strict with behavior reports if they went off track. (Visual warning card first, report for repeated warned behavior)
3. Simplify & scaffold. - I used this in tutor time and it worked to build basic math skills for our lowest students. I would point to and read the problems on the basic math fact sheets so the student could focus energy on figuring it out and writing the answer. After a few months, these students had weaned to whisper readers and pointed to their own problems on fact sheets. I also cut their problems in half and challenged them to finish more each day. They used a mult. table to fill in and learn mult. facts. Repitition is the key.
4. Use the Chromebooks as a reward. - Make a goal that is easily attained if the students stay attentive most of class. Allow some time (20 minutes) once weekly with the Chromebooks as a reward. Use that time to make up work that slacking students need to do. In a few weeks, those who can do it, will. Keep this time all year and hopefully you will have some prep time when the students are successful.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote