Help

The VENT

Lice

>

Violet4

Lice
Old 10-06-2019, 04:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm no doctor but this article has made me very concerned. Shall we also allow our students to be exposed to stomach flu so as to not inconvenience families or embarrass them?

https://slate.com/human-interest/201...t-em-stay.html

Violet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Lice
Old 10-06-2019, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school has the policy that if lice are found the parents are notified and the child goes home for the day. They can return the next day after a lice treatment. Iím not a fan of this policy, but Iím powerless.

In practice, I havenít seen the lice spread to other children in the classroom so far. The past two years, Iíve had several students with lice constantly.

Lice are icky.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 10-06-2019, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Parents are expected to treat the lice, but no one is checking in to enforce this expectation
If no one is checking, and parents aren't treating, then ...

While the author of this article seems to have no problem with her child having a constant life infection, most parents would. The longer your child has lice, the more likely it is to spread to the adults in the household. I wonder how adult workplaces react to adults with untreated lice infections.
marguerite2 is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 10-06-2019, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our school students have to be nit free before they can return. The school nurse checks them upon return. I had a student out 4 days with lice recently, tried to come back twice before the nurse actually cleared her.

The nurse also checks the entire class and sends home letters informing parents that a child in the class had lice.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

GoodEnough85

Look at the date on the article.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If it was written January of 2018, "the fall" she references would have been August/September of 2017. But it also says "This piece was originally published in Slate on March 26, 2014." That means the Fall school year referenced was really Aug/Sept of 2013.

Our school switched to that policy as well somewhere in between there--maybe the SY2016-17? As far as I know, we haven't had a huge change in the number of lice outbreaks. We have had a positive difference in the attendance at the elementary level.

Yes, it is super gross to think that I might get bugs on me with the blood of other people inside them. Yes, it is super difficult to get rid of them and prep your house.

But we have that same policy now for a few other things too-Hand, foot and mouth disease, Fifth's disease, and I am not sure what our Bed bug policy is. (I don't even know if our Nurse has a policy for bed bugs.)

My school does have a policy that reads that students need to be clear of vomiting or diarrhea for 24 hours before returning. BUT, if a student goes home puking on a Tuesday at 10 or 11, and the parents send them in on the bus Wednesday, the child is not required to go home unless he pukes again on Wednesday.

Given the dates involved in the article, I would be surprised that your district hasn't already adopted this new policy.

GoodEnough85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 10-06-2019, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We keep students with lice in school. Some of students with the worst lice cases are also some of our lowest students. And their home situations mean they have repeat lice outbreaks.

It hasn't caused more students in the classrooms to get lice, and it allows the low students to remain in the classroom and have access to their education.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 10-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Since around 2010, we haven't been allowed to send home for lice or bedbugs. We can inform, but if parents can't come or keep students home they continue to come to school.

Summerwillcom

I'd guess about 5 yrs ago...
Old 10-06-2019, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our district took the same route. It is ridiculous! The article talked about no healthy child should be excluded...ÖÖÖ.and that was it for me. WE have even had kids with staph infections and another contagious disease ( IDK the name of it) , but it causes small wart like bumps all over a kid's face. IDK why, but some catch it, others don't. I would be 1 pissed off parent if I had a kid in school now.
Summerwillcom is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 10-06-2019, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Our schools went that route as well. I have three kids, and only once has one of my kids gotten lice. Actually, embarrassingly, she probably had lice for at least a month before we knew it. She was a teenager, though. She came to me and held out something and said, "Is this lice?" OMG, she had the BIGGEST creatures crawling around in her hair! She hadn't said anything. My point is that none of us got lice, even though I frequently hugged her good night.

It has really difficult to get rid of. When I did some looking into it, what I kept reading was that it's best to just comb, comb, comb, until you've gotten them all. I think that was advice I got on PT as well. We spent WEEKS combing (and trying random things on her head) before we felt she was actually consistently lice-free.

While I'm not a big fan of lice, I do think that it's much less hazardous than the stomach flu, and less likely to spread if proper precautions are taken. I have had those kids in my classroom who never seem to shake lice. But it's very uncommon that the other kids in class get lice. I try to remember to wear my hair up when I know someone has lice, just in case. We do a lot of leaning down to help our students.

Ugh, now my head itches....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 10-06-2019, 12:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The districts around here are the same-and we have had BIG outbreaks. MY home district is high income (I live on the outskirts in ramshackle rental but people living in town have n average yearly income of 300,000 a year-several are multi-millionaires with homes on the water and private docks with multiple boats/yachts.) has this policy but got a lot of pressure from parents to stop exposing their children to lice who give it to their parents who loose a lot of money missing work. Also we have pricey lice removal companies around here, and specialty lice removal hair salons who also sell lice repellent sprays and hair products.

so its an issue of the haves-who spend the money and go to great lengths and expense to have the lice professionally removed, and the have nots-who may not even treat their kids, or who treat the hair but not the house/bedding/clothing and so they just get it again and pass it on in perpetuity. I dont see many people in the middle.

Thankfully, I wear my hair up and spritz it with "Hair Fairy Spray"-particularly in the fall/winter when the outbreaks seem to be at their worst, and my son sports a buzz cut. No lice for me thanks.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 10-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Oh yeah, and we also have this super lice now. It cant be killed with over the counter treatments. My sister treated her then 3 year old only to see live bugs when rinsing. She had to get proscription treatment-and even then she went to a lice salon 3 days later and then a week later just to make sure the no missed egg were left behind because it was so traumatic for her 3 year old who had waist length thick hair trying to get rid of them.
Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 10-06-2019, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our district allows kids with lice to stay in school parents get informed, but that's about it. Nothing we can do
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 10-06-2019, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Quote:
In our school students have to be nit free before they can return. The school nurse checks them upon return. I had a student out 4 days with lice recently, tried to come back twice before the nurse actually cleared her.

The nurse also checks the entire class and sends home letters informing parents that a child in the class had lice.
This is exactly what our school does.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

meandmyhouse

Old 10-06-2019, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Lice is a complicated problem. Our district's lice policy is if you have bugs you go home, nits you stay. Kids can't help having lice, and it is impossible reject a kindergartner who gives you surprise head to head contact hugs. No teacher alive is going to push a little child away like they're a piece of garbage. We all care about our students and want what's best for them. Kds who aren't at school, aren't learning.

With all that being said, lice do pass from person to person, how else would anyone have them? I have caught them twice from students during outbreaks.(see above, surprise head to head hugs) Treatment is expensive and exhausting. Wash and dry everything, pillows, comforters, vacuum furniture and mattress repeatedly, including the seats in the cars Then hair treatment, and nit combing for weeks to make sure there are no remaining nits or bugs. If homes are not treated, and nits are not combed out completely, the chemical shampoo is pointless. That's the issue we are seeing at our school. Entire families with ongoing lice infestations, I don't know how they stand it. But, once again, it takes a lot of time, money and dedication to be rid of them. Some people do not have all three.
meandmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-06-2019, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

We havenít removed kids for lice in years. We have no more or no less of an issue than we had when kids were sent home. The only kids I have known had lice are ones who really, really need to be in school all the time. They were way behind.

I tell them not to share brushes or hair accessories. They also like to share hoodies, and I tell them not to do that.

We have kids bring in roaches way more often.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

Arsabi
Old 10-06-2019, 10:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I just had TWO students go home with lice last week. They were sent home. One came back the next day. 😬
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 10-07-2019, 01:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We are only allowed to send students home if they have live lice. If they just have nits , they can stay.

Also, they can come back the same day as long as there is proof that they had a treatment.

Since our policy changed about 6 years ago, we have not had any significant changes in the number of cases we have seen.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Students don't get sent home for lice here.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The reason is is that it's not a public health issue. Unless the infestation is WAYYY out of control, it is not going to cause illness. You can't compare it with stomach flu, which can cause serious side effects like dehydration which can be deadly. Lice also does not spread as quickly or widely as people think. Yes, it's a nuisance, but it's really not that big of a deal.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote