Help

Second Grade

Peanut Allergy

>

gardengrower

Peanut Allergy
Old 08-18-2010, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will have two students in my classroom this year with severe peanut allergies. Does anyone have "peanut-free zone" signs or clip art? I'd like my new students to feel safe and secure knowing there is a spot for them to safely eat and enjoy snacks and treats!

gardengrower is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. H20

Peanut Free Classroom
Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you have severe allergies, your entire classroom should be peanut-free. We have peanut free signs on every classroom door that has a child with an allergy and a note goes home from the school explaining to parents that they CAN NOT send in any snacks w/peanuts. The school that my own children attend also follow the same protocol. Good luck.
Mrs. H20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miss_G

You can never be too careful
Old 08-18-2010, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, the classroom should be completely nut-free. Like the previous poster stated, send home a letter to explain this to parents if your school allows parents to bring in baked goods (ours treats must be store bought with the ingredient label on it so the school nurse can check). Also consider where the children sit at lunch; we have a nut-free zone in the cafeteria. Even with careful planning like this, one student did have a reaction.
Miss_G is offline   Reply With Quote

sophiekait

I had this issue last year
Old 08-18-2010, 07:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

but, I did not send home a note for other parents to sign. I just made sure to put on party notes to please not send anything with nuts in it and I doubled checked all the food before I passed it out. My student would sit on the opposite side of the hallway to eat snack and the other students quickly learned that it was not safe for them to sit by him at snack time if they brought something with pb or nuts in it. It worked out fine.
sophiekait is offline   Reply With Quote

blbteach

this comes up more and more...
Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I send home a letter stating that we have a peanut free classroom, and this includes all types of classroom parties. I also have the student with the peanut allergy send in some safe snacks from home for me to store. The child has those during all class parties. I would not single out a child by making them sit alone in the classroom...but in the lunch room they can pick a buddy to sit at the peanut free table. I never let the child have homemade snacks from others...just because someone tells you it is safe does not make you less responsible if something happens. For our class parties, we choose things like fresh fruit, carrot and celery sticks with ranch dressind, and cheese and crackers. The children like the healthy choices once it is established routine. If I have a question about something that is being served, I call the parent of the peanut allergy child, or give the child an alternative snack. We have a freezer to use also, and I keep a stash of ice pops for special occasions.

blbteach is offline   Reply With Quote

room213

My peanut-free information
Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have had a peanut free room for the past three years. I send home a letter and expect the parents and students to sign it. Only peanut free snacks are allowed in the room. And the peanut allergy kids have to sit at a special table in the cafeteria. All students then have to wash their hands before they come back from lunch. I also require that parents only send Rice krispie treats, oreos, or chips ahoy cookies for birthday treats. Parents are very understanding when I explain that this is for the safety of the classroom.
Attached Files
File Type: doc First Day Peanut Allergy Letter Revised 2010.doc (33.0 KB, 117 views)
room213 is offline   Reply With Quote

damarnfl

A consent form
Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My entire school is nut-free. Because of all the students that have nut allergies now-a-days, we decided to do this when we opened 4 years ago.

Here is the consent form that I send home to parents at the beginning of the year. This way I have a copy of any other allergies as well.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Food At School.doc (24.0 KB, 67 views)
damarnfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lmorrissey

Old 08-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I take my class to the cafe for any eating. This includes snack. Some of my students have P&J sandwiches in their lunch bags. Too risky for me! No signs except I do highlight it in my sub plans.
Lmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote