Help

First Grade

assigned seats on carpet?

>

abc123fun

assigned seats on carpet?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do you have assigned seats on the carpet? Do you place boy-girl-boy-girl or do they have numbers? Do you put out name cards for them to sit on or numbers that they have been assigned to? Do you have them sit in a big circle/square or in rows? I am curious as to what everyone does! Please let me know!

abc123fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Brablab

Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have assigned seats in rows. At first, I put them in boy, girl, random order. As I get to know the kids, I move them to where I think they'll be able to do their best learning (ie: some kiddos need to be right up front).
Brablab is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

Carpet Seats
Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Oh you better believe it! On the first few days I seat them in ABC/number order so it will help me learn their names and it will help them learn the number order. It also gives me some time to see who can and cannot sit together. Then I assign a carpet square for their best learning. I will change seats as needed, usually twice a nine weeks.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

Laci Lou

Rows
Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I put them in rows with a partner next to them. It's usually two girls and two boys with my first graders. I also strategically place them for needs and to cut down on extra talking and issues.
Laci Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

linderbug

assigned seats on carpet
Old 07-29-2011, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You bet! I assign seats the second or third day of school. I try to do it boy-girl at first. Once I have a better idea of who can't sit by one another I might switch some kids out. It makes life so much simpler!!

linderbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Coyote8

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have always had assigned seats. I move them as needed, but it just make the transition go much quicker if they already know where they are going and who they are by.
Coyote8 is offline   Reply With Quote

momtow

assigned seats
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yes, I assign seats. It makes life so much easier. I do switch students around during the year so I have opportunities to pair/share with many of their classmates. I also keeps those closer to me that need more direction while on the carpet area.
momtow is offline   Reply With Quote

mastershake

Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Definitely! The first day I usually just call them to the carpet a table at a time and assign them a spot based on how tall they are. I have kids who are actually supposed to be in first grade, some who should be in second, and one or two who should be in third. Soo...my kids vary greatly in size. Once I get to know them and who they like to talk to, I move them around, but they have the same spot until they're moved for some reason. It saves time coming to the carpet and helps to keep them more focused.

My carpet is a large rectangle. I have them sit across the back row, down each side, and there's usually a second row going across the middle (hope that makes sense). I always sit on the floor in front of them.
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote

mmteach

Old 07-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Absolutely! They sit in a circle in a spot in which I assign to them. We change spots several times during the year. Sometimes on special days I will let them sit anywhere on the rug-100's Day, student-appreciation day, etc. They are also allowed to sit anywhere during reading time.
mmteach is offline   Reply With Quote

crackerjill

Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm in the minority. I normally don't have assigned seats on the carpet. I might have 1 or 2 students that have an assigned spot to be close to me or away from someone, etc.

I think it depends on your group of kids, some can handle it, some need more structure.

crackerjill is offline   Reply With Quote

beachbumteach

Yes
Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Like everyone else, I assign seats in number order (ABC order) and I move kids accordingly as needed. My students do a lot of 'turn and talk' to your 'elbow buddy' on the carpet so this works out perfect! I just got a new Lakeshore rug that has a colored square for each student!!! Super excited because this will make management on the carpet so much easier!!!
beachbumteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Claus

Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, number order. I wish I had a rug specifically for classrooms with squares or something but mine is just one color (got it cheap at lowes)--it would be much easier to manage seating. Maybe someday.
Mrs.Claus is offline   Reply With Quote

collinscrew

Good to know!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I am moving from 3rd to 1st. With my third graders I allowed them to sit where they wanted on the rug as long as they were paying attention. If they weren't then they got an assigned seat. I was thinking about assigning spots with my first graders though. I have a rug that is a huge map of the USA, and was thinking that they would love it if I assigned each of them a state as a spot. After reading these posts I'm definitely going to give them spots now!
collinscrew is offline   Reply With Quote

puakai

Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have never assigned seats on the carpet. My kids do great. Of course I have to seperate a few, but that's all I've ever had to do.
puakai is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

The carpet
Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Same here. I've never assigned seats on the rug. I did have to make a rule for 2 of my boys last year - they just couldn't sit next to each other, but everybody else did fine. I call my kids to the rug by teams (groups of desks), the quietest group first. That way, different kids are sitting up front all the time. It has always worked for me.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Yolindanne

Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I assign seats and use little pieces of velcro with their names on it to mark their spot.
Yolindanne is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I had to assign carpet spots about halfway through the year (but never had before). We received a very nice large area rug from Donors Choose and I didn't want it to get ruined, so I assigned spots and told them they were responsible for their spot. AND this group had several students who needed to be separated from each other. I would tell them to be responsible about not sitting by certain people, and they'd still gravitate towards each other.

Anyway, I separated kids who needed to be separated and then put the rest of the kids somewhere around/between the ones who needed to be separated. I didn't put names down or anything-they just knew. I had it memorized as well.

It did work really well even though I didn't want to do it. When we sat in a circle, they sat wherever.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-30-2011, 06:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I don't use assigned seat either. Once in a while I have to separate a couple of people, but generally once they know the rules they do fine.

An idea for some of you that are looking to assign seats - one year I put a small grid on the carpet with the tape made for gym floors (comes off without sticky residue and stays stuck on pretty well) and labeled rows (abc's) and columns (123's). I had them draw spots from a container when they came in and they had to find their seat (A3). Helped them understand grids a bit, and put them in specific spots with space between them.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

MsBunny

Rug spots
Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I also give assigned spots which is helpful for me and management. I have one of the Lakeshore rugs with 20 spots but now have 24 kids, so I have to be creative with that. I have a love/hate relationship with the Lakeshore rug. It is great for creating boundaries and seeing that kids are focused and eyes straight ahead type behavior, but I also want the children listening to each other and sharing with each other, not just when I do turn and talk. I feel a circle would send a different message. The other issue I had last year which drove me nuts was children bugging each other by crossing the lines and putting a finger or a foot in another person's rug square just to irritate them. I've thought about storing the rug for a year, but probably won't unless another rug flies into my life.
MsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

rls1980k

Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

My students always sit in assigned spots, around in a circle on our rectangular rug. It's great for community building and sharing ideas. However, if they are listening to a story, or looking at the smartboard, they move into "movie theater seats" - in rows, with space in between in case anyone needs to get up or move. I like assigned seats especially at the beginning of the year, since it lets me quickly learn students' names, and see instantly who is absent.
rls1980k is offline   Reply With Quote