Help

First Grade

How much homework do you give?

>

collinscrew

How much homework do you give?
Old 08-15-2011, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What all does everyone send home for homework? I feel like we send too much! Math, sight words, take-home book, and baggy book every night. Plus they still have to study their spelling words for a weekly spelling test.

collinscrew is offline   Reply With Quote

PSUgrad

Homework
Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We send home a bit of work as well. We use Storytown, and there is a lot crammed into the year for language arts. Usually our homework schedule looks like this:

Monday: circle the spelling rule, math worksheet, phonics worksheet
Tuesday: write spelling words 5 times each (later in the year it's upgraded to sentences depending on the ability level), math worksheet, sight word worksheet
Wednesday: write spelling words in ABC order, math worksheet, reading comprehension worksheet
Thursday: study spelling, math worksheet, grammar practice

In my district, we have teacher manuals to make copies of everything (students don't have workbooks to take home) so it makes it easy to differentiate. In our reading and math series we have practice books, extra support books, and challenge books for each concept/lesson, so my homework for each student always looks different. For example, some students may be receiving an extra support reading homework with a challenge math worksheet. It will fluctuate as the year goes on, and I check in with parents to see how long students are taking to complete the assignments at home. I always stress to parents that every child is working on the same concept, just in different ways to support their needs.

In my bulletin that goes home every week, I always put the sight words and spelling words for the week for parents to do additional practice. This doesn't always happen, but I try to create a lot of opportunities within the classroom to support those that aren't practicing at home.
PSUgrad is offline   Reply With Quote

SuperTeachNJ

homework
Old 08-16-2011, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I send 3 a night Monday-Thursday. Reading, Spelling, and Math. I don't send home any sight word or grammar skill homework, but I do ask parents to practice sight words with students throughout the week.
SuperTeachNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Homework
Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We generally expect the kids to work for 10-20 minutes a night. And yes, we send work home on weekends and over holidays! The kids take home 1-2 books to read nightly. They are expected to practice their sight words. This year, we are also expecting them to know all addition and subtraction math facts through 10, so this will also be sent home for practice. We occasionally send home a reading response journal to complete.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

collinscrew

Wow!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Okay, so I don't feel so bad sending so much home now! I thought it might have just been too much homework at my school! We do storytown too! It's great, but there's a lot to teach.

collinscrew is offline   Reply With Quote

queenmom09

Old 08-16-2011, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I send home a homework folder on Monday, that is due on Friday. In it, I put a math homework sheet packet (usually 4-5 pages) and when we start spelling, a spelling list. They also have book bags with their guided reading books 2 or 3 nights a week. If their homework folder comes back on Friday, they get a sticker...when they get 5 stickers, they get a prize from the prize jar. If the homework is not done, then they have to do it when we go to the computer lab on Friday or during centers. It is much easier to manage a folder once a week than papers everyday. Plus it allows the family to do the homework when they have time...I have even sent it home on a Friday and have had it due on the next Friday...some families have more time on the weekend...I try to be flexible, because life is busy for all of us....
queenmom09 is offline   Reply With Quote

gaazed

Old 08-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

At my school they say 10 minutes per grade. That would make it 10 minutes of homework. For me that is not enough. I usually have the children do 15-20 min. of work, 15-20 min. of reading, and 10 of fact practice. Reading and fact practice is a daily homework assignment.

At the beginning of the year I start off short and easy 15 min. at th most. Slowly I gradually increase the homework to the 50 min. period.
gaazed is offline   Reply With Quote

elemedteacher

Old 08-17-2011, 04:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have tried the homework packets and found that I was taking too much time to grade them and not enough for my family. I know they work on a schedule for the family.
Now I send home a nightly math sheet, and they have to read 15 minutes a night. I encourage studying spelling words and sight words as well.
I know one teacher would laminate the sight words and she would send them home. I would practice with my daughter and the teacher would test her on those words about every week. She was up to 3rd/4th grade words by the end of 1st! It was great. I will start doing that as well.

I sometimes send home spelling. However, we do a lot with spelling during the day, so I try not to send home too much.
elemedteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

queenmom09

Old 08-18-2011, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't grade the homework packets...I just check to see if they are finished...I figure most of the time the parents have looked at the work because my students would need help reading the directions and the problems...my purpose of homework is so parents know what is going on in the classroom and to work with their child...I am not too hung up on grading the homework...
queenmom09 is offline   Reply With Quote