Help

Third Grade

Checking out books in classroom libraries

>

atokan

Checking out books in classroom libraries
Old 08-31-2011, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have spent hours and hours and hours building my classroom library and sorting the books into the correct bins, leveling them and what not. Now i would like for my students to start checking out my chapter books, however, I am stuck on a quick and easy book check out system for my students. Any ideas?

Also, what do you do if a student does not return a book? I bought all of my chapter books and I am scared that if i let my students check out my books, I will never see them again. I have a hard time getting them to return important papers at the beginning of the year!!

please help!!!

atokan is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't let my kids take the classroom library books home. Everything stays in the class. We have a great school library and they take them home from that.
CatLove is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Same as previous poster, I know that's not the information you're requesting, but honestly to avoid having to come up with a system, worrying about my books (all of which were purchased by ME, so far, not the school) and having to deal with wasting time in class for either of those things, fighting with parents over it, etc. The books stay with me.

Other teachers HAVE tried to make me feel guilty for this, but as PP said, the school's media center has tons of books to check out, and we go weekly. Also, I do not require an at-home reading log. I only have a bare-minimum weekly homework packet and otherwise I try to keep school at school because too many parents aren't focused enough on their children, hate to say it, or if they ARE it isn't about homework and the books they're reading, it's about soccer practice and ballet. While those are important things too, homework tends to go by the way side, and i feel like my expensive library of books would do the same

THAT'S my 2 cents.
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

rockinteach3

Old 09-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with the 2 PP...my kids keep their books from our classroom library in their book bins and must keep them at school. Occassionally I will have a child beg me to take a book they are enjoying home over the weekend or break. I will let them, but will have them write the name of the book in their planner so that their parents know it is my book. I also have my name on all my books which helps ensure I do not lose them. I haven't lost any books in 3 years!
rockinteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvmylabs

Check out.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have library cards in pockets in my books. If students want to check out a book, they put their name on the card and put it into the "checkout basket". If students want to check out books that do not have cards in them yet, they come to get a pocket and card from me. each morning books are "checked in" and put away (can be done by a student helper). Students can only check out one of my classroom books at a time.

The cards and pockets are a bit pricey (got mine on amazon.com) but worth it in my opinion!

Luvmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

cards and book pockets
Old 09-02-2011, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I got these through donorschoose, and the kids check out 8-10 books a week from my classroom library. They take them home to read each night and use them in class for reading workshop. For years I didn't let them take books home, but now I do. I made a big deal at back-to-school night about how important it is to read just-right books, and since it is their HW I feel I should be providing the books. I lost about a dozen books last year from my classroom library. It bugs me, but if it helped the 20 students I had progress in their reading levels, then it was worth it. You WILL lose some of your books, so make peace with that, and just do it. I'm almost sorry I just don't use the honor system, then I wouldn't know what was missing. Ignorance is bliss, or so they say.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

library books
Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do something similar with cards and pockets. Each book has a pocket with a card. The students put the card in a chart with a pocket with their name on it. Some take it very seriously, some not. I don't allow my books to go home. Every now and them I have a "turn it in Friday" and ALL books, supplies dug out of desks and returned.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

jks

question
Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Do you send a note to the parents about the books coming home? I am trying a new system of using gallon size ziplock bags to keep them in. I have a note about them taking care of the books and then it says if they don't return them, they will be responsible for $ 4. I'm not sure I need to include that, especially after the hurricane issues we are having. What are your thoughts?
jks is offline   Reply With Quote

atokan

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2011, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for all the ideas .. i do want to let my students check out my books ... because our media center is still not set up for students to check out books. they do not have a system going on. but i also dont want to lend them out and not get them back! tough decision!!!! thanks for the help and ideas!!
atokan is offline   Reply With Quote

SunDevilMom

Check out Sheet
Old 09-02-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I just have a check out sheet on a clipboard: place for name of book, who is signing out, date signed out, and date signed back in. I allow 2 weeks per book...easy to eyeball who is keeping out books too long (especially the popular ones!!)

SunDevilMom is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher226

Posterboard Pockets
Old 09-04-2011, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I just get a posterboard, glue 24 library pockets on it and label each one with the student's names. When they check out a book to take home, they write the date, book title on an index card and place the index card in their pocket on the chart. The next morning, our class Librarian(a student's job) checks in books by putting a check mark next to the title on the card which means the student returned the book, then the card goes back in the pocket until the process happens again. I like this management of it because all of the cards are located in one place and the students know that Ms. __________ will check to make sure I bring my book back so I better make sure I have it. If a child does not bring back a book, then they are not allowed to take another book home until that one comes back. After a few days, I usually contact the parent and ask them can they look for the book with their child. I also have the students take their books home in ziploc bags, the gallon sized ones, to protect them from dirt & water and also to hold their reading log & reading notebook.
teacher226 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I talked to the parents first
Old 09-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I didn't get my book borrowing set up until Nov. last year, so I spoke to all the parents at conference time and asked them to sign a paper saying they agree to have their child keep track of the books and send them back every day. This year I will talk about the classroom book borrowing at back-to-school night to let them know how it needs to work. Hopefully I won't lose any more books.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote