Help

Third Grade

Finger spaces help!

>

atokan

Finger spaces help!
Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have 2 students who can not remember to put finger spaces between their words for anything!!! I have sat with them and gone over it over and over again, but still nothing. As soon as they start working independently, the words get all bunched up all over again!! Does anyone have a great strategy or technique that works with helping kids to remember finger spaces???

please and thank you!!

atokan is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 10-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have any great techniques but I do know that Really Good Stuff sold a man that looked like he was in a space suit and the students put him between the words. Mr. Space maybe???? I thought he was cute but didn't want to waste the money.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

tape on finger
Old 10-05-2011, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wrap a finger with tape as a reminder?
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

AniFan15

Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have the Spaceman (no idea of its actual title). I haven't actually gotten to use it for that purpose yet, tho. All my stuff is in storage at the moment (buying a new house), but when I get them out, I have at least one student who will be getting one.

The only thing I can think is to have them put their finger between each word. If they can't fit their finger in the space, they have to write it again. I would hope that they'd get the point after rewriting it a few times. Is that too mean...?
AniFan15 is offline   Reply With Quote

BayAreaSub

How about...
Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

10 seconds late for recess for every missed space?

BayAreaSub is offline   Reply With Quote

MsMonkey

special paper
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I got lucky and found some paper at the 99 cent store that has a little space for each letter, as well as the green and red margin lines. I have seen it at Target as well. I made some kids use it last year, because of the same issue. Well, that and their writing was so all over the place that I could hardly read it! Most of the kids thought it was a form of torture, so they quickly started mending their ways. Of course, I had one kiddo who was super excited about having special paper to write on.... but I was just happy that he was writing at all!

If they have it at your local Target, I recommend it. Too bad we're not neighbors so that I could just give you some. I bought out all that the 99 cent store had once I realized that it was about $5 at Target!

Good luck!
MsMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

spacing
Old 10-06-2011, 03:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Instead of spending the money at Really Good Stuff, I have a solution that I used many years ago. I bought the larger sized popsicle sticks (like the tongue depressors they use at the doctor's office) and decorated the top (just by drawing on it with marker - nothing fancy) as a little man. I wrote the words "Dr. Indent" down the length of the stick. And I taught my students to use him at the beginning of paragraphs. Then I used the smaller popsicle sticks and drew a little dog on it with marker (again, nothing fancy) and wrote "Space" down the length of it. That's Dr. Indent's dog - Space. He is used between words. The kids put Space down between each word.

It seemed to work and they enjoyed using both sticks. They kept them in their desk and I would make a big deal out of it when I saw them remembering to use them without being reminded. It may take a little while, but maybe it will help.

Good luck!
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

WESEM

Old 10-06-2011, 06:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I use popsicle sticks like beagles2 uses. I didn't decorate them or anything. It has helped my student.
WESEM is offline   Reply With Quote