Help

First Grade

Saxon Math

>

ballmom42

Saxon Math
Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I went to a workshop today about textbook adoptions and the Common Core Standards. I was evaluating Saxon Math. According to what I saw, it seems so scattered and teacher-scripted/direct instruction without allowing students the opportunity to problem-solve, or the opportunity for discourse.

Does anyone use it? What do you think about the program?

ballmom42 is offline   Reply With Quote

tbasar

Dislike!!!!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use Saxon Math at our district. I personally dislike Saxon for the fact that it is so scripted and it covers less than 30% of MN state standards. There is NO problem-solving! Our first grade team had to create CGI lessons to add to the Saxon lessons. I have also taught Envision, Everyday, and Houghton-Mifflin at other districts. I personally believe Saxon is by far the worst. Our school is struggling with test scores, and a couple of the consultants who have visited our district have openly said it is because we are using Saxon.
tbasar is offline   Reply With Quote
vatchr 999

vatchr 999

Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We loved Saxon when we had it. Now we have TERC Math Investigations and it is horrible. It is doing math in weird ways with NO written practice. Saxon did a great job of using manipulatives and games in combination with written practice. In the end, it's great if they can move counters around to show you concepts but they have to be able to show that on paper and Saxon really walks kids through it step by step. It's also one of the true spiraling programs, meaning it continuously goes back and revisists concepts on a regular basis. We wish we could have saxon back-Investigations stinks!!

old n new

Saxon
Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like Saxon because it reviews concepts over and over. That may make it seem scattered because you don't have units like other companies do. However, you don't teach one concept per unit and hardly ever cover it again. It covers most of what we are required to teach in our state but not all of it. Some days the number of worksheets are a little overwhelming. I feel like sometimes it goes a little slow paced. So for the most part I like it but it does have its flaws.
old n new is offline   Reply With Quote

lead teacher

Old 11-30-2011, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We loved Saxon math and Phonics. we now use Investigations and Harcourt. Saxon was excellent because of the spiral review. we did supplement with lessons or concept that were not covered from our standards, but overall it went really well with our state standards.

it has been years since we used Saxon so I am not familiar with alignment to Common Core.

investigations is very out there & lots of touching and discovering. difficult to teach in my opinion.

lead teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

rhs1175

Old 12-02-2011, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We are currently using Saxon Math. This will be our 4th year using it. Beginning after Christmas we will be looking into adopting a new curriculum. We see that with Saxon, there is no problem solving and no type of higher level thinking. I supplement in nearly every area to extend my students. I do like the continual review it provides; however it is not teaching mastery. I feel frustrated in teaching a new content area and knowing it won't be covered again in weeks.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
rhs1175 is offline   Reply With Quote

1stexplorer

Enhanced Saxon
Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I taught Saxon with "fidelity" for 2 years. The third year, we realized that it needed quite a lot of enhancing. It will get new teachers to a certain adequate level of instruction but it is limiting. My third year, we enhanced each lesson. This year, I finally convinced my school to rework it, picking and choosing good lessons and re-grouping a lot of lessons.

My biggest frustration was that it never taught a concept through to mastery. It cycled too much and did not develop a deeper conceptual understanding of important standards. What was successful was the math meeting materials, fact cards and homework that comes with the program.

Like any scripted curriculum, it does somethings well but still requires planning, tweaking and making it your own.
1stexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

collinscrew

Saxon
Old 12-06-2011, 04:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our school uses Saxon math and we've always had high test scores! I think it's because it reviews skills instead of teaching by units. I love it! It can get a little boring, but that's when you use your degree and add to it to make it your own!
collinscrew is offline   Reply With Quote