First Grade

Ch. Book Read alouds for BOYS

>

MissHopeful

Ch. Book Read alouds for BOYS
Old 06-17-2012, 10:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello,

I teach third now but am interviewing for an open first grade position at a different school in my district. They want us to have SO many mock-ups of long term plans, anticipated units of study, etc.

I am going in SUPER prepared because I'd really love to switch to this school. I am compiling my list of potential read alouds. This school wants more of a focus on chapter books than picture books in first, to model longer books for them to try and branch out and read.

I have gathered some great first grade chapter book read alouds from this site, but am wondering if you can recommend some which are more appropriate for boys? I have noticed that amber brown, cam jansen, ramona, junie b, amelia bedelia, etc etc are all girl - led stories and though I have a couple that are more unisex, Im struggling to find some that are really going to rope the boys in better.

Besides mouse & the motorcycle, do you have other boy friendly chapter book suggestions to read aloud to first graders ??

MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

ElemenTchr

Some suggestions
Old 06-17-2012, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The Magic Treehouse Series - I haven't read them yet but the sub who did my maternity leave read them to my kinders and said they loved them.

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume, which then leads to the whole Fudge series.

Encyclopedia Brown series

Do a google search too. Hope this helps. Good luck with your interview. I worked w/ first grade this year & loved the grade.
ElemenTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

Old 06-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ready Freddy series and also the A to Z Mysteries are good reads for 1st graders. The A to Z mystery books involve 2 boys and 1 girl, so it involves others. My students enjoy both, as well as Cam Jenson and Junie B.
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 06-17-2012, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you elementchr & k-jeanne!

lemonyellow

Other books
Old 06-17-2012, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

"Stink" series by Megan McDonald is Judy Moody's little brother, the How to Train you Dragon series is quite cute, I second Magic Tree House my son could not get enough MTH in K/1

Good luck

lemonyellow is offline   Reply With Quote

chalk_talk

strong boy characters
Old 06-17-2012, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Not for read alouds, but as a series for independent readers: Nate the Great; Henry and Mudge. Read alouds: Henry Huggins, Henry and Ribsy (this is a very old series of chapter books by Bevery Cleary); Jig-Saw Jones series (The Case of the Missing Hamster is the first one).

Just curious, I find that many first graders are eager to read chapter books. The difficulty seems more to be that they aren't ready to read chapter books right away and finding "just right books" with strong male characters for beginning readers is sometimes difficult.
chalk_talk is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 06-17-2012, 05:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you for adding your input, lemonyellow and chalk_talk! I am writing all of this down!

Sue too

chapter books for boys
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In addition to the ones already mentioned, I read my second grade class 4 of the Marvin Redpost books. There are more in the series but I like the first 4 the best. I also read Stone Fox every year, but can't read the book without crying at the end of the book so I'm not sure how first graders would handle that.
Sue too is offline   Reply With Quote

teach 1st

My Opinion
Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The boys in my class like the Magic Tree House, Reading A to Z by Ron Roy, Their is also a Young Cam Jansen that is a little easier than the Cam Jansen's. My students have read, but I have not... Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Bad Kitty, and Captain Underpants.

I agree with Chalk_talk that said, First graders want to read chapter books before they are not ready to read chapter books. Our librarian at our school will not let the 1st grade children pick out chapter books until the teacher okays it or at least until Feb... in the school year. I only read chapter books with my students that are on a second grade level. I do read a chapter of a chapter book as a read aloud at the end of each day. I also encourage my children to read picture books to their parents and then have their parents read a chapter each night of their favorite chapter book.

I also think Mouse and the Motorcycle is on a 3rd grade level... it is very hard for first grade. I tried it with my high group one year... it was a challenge! Amelia Bedelia is also hard for some first graders because they do not understand the humor... they do not get her comparisons.
teach 1st is offline   Reply With Quote

ely2boys

I always read..
Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Freckle Juice! It's always a hit.

ely2boys is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Sue too, teach 1st and ely2boys, thank you all for your input!

My interview is tomorrow and I feel that I have compiled a lot of really great information, both mentally and inside my portfolio, in preparation. This board has been a big help!

dkgbb

Read aloud
Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

As a read aloud, I have great success with My Father's Dragon, How to Eat Fried Worms, the Chocolate touch, James and the Giant Peach and Trumpet of the Swan. All of the main characters in these stories are boys. How to Eat Fried Worms is challenging to read aloud because there is a lot of dialogue, but if you 'act it out' as you are reading and really play it up, and read with a dramatic flair, all students love it. The more excited you are about the chapter book, the more they get in to it. When I read Trumpet of the Swan we look up all the places that Louis goes online- The Red Rock Lakes, Ontario, Boston Commons, The Ritz (when we looked at the Ritz one of my kids looked at me and asked in a really curious and thoughtful voice if the story was real We also listen to the different trumpet calls that Louis plays, again online. If you show a lot of enthusiasm for the chapter book, they will too. Another favorite is Watchdog and the Coyotes, by Bill Wallace which is about 3 dogs that are bullied by wild coyotes. My students also have really enjoyed the Mouse and the Motorcycle books and the Magic tree house books. They have not really been all that wild about Ready Freddy, and it is probably because I don't care for the two I've read all that well. Junie B. Jones seems to be more appealing to the boys than Ready Freddy in my opinion. All of these books would not be appropriate for the vast majority of 1st grade readers to read indpendently (except Magic Treehouse and Ready Freddy) and even probably most 2nd grade readers, but they do build comprehension and allow us as a class to practice so many of the CAFE strategies together. Before I start reading we always do a recap of what we read the day before which usually consists of children talking with an elbow buddy for a minute or two. I will usually read 1-2 from each of the different series of chapter books that many of them would be able to read by the end of the year (Junie B, Magic Tree House, Ready Freddy, Littles, Nate the Great, etc.) but the ones listed above are so much more rich and engaging for the children and for me as well.
dkgbb is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Flat Stanley books. The main character is a boy and he has a brother. He goes on adventures, then you can tie in geography!
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 06-19-2012, 05:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Miller, great suggestion! Thanks!

heddyb65

Ready Freddy!
Old 06-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I highly recommend the Ready Freddy books by Abby Klein. This series mirrors the Junie B books but has a boy as the main character. My first grade class loves these. Their are Ready Freddy readers that the kids can read on their and then there are also chapter books.

I also discovered the Calendar Mysteries by Ron Roy. There is a mystery book for each month of the year.
heddyb65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Brablab

Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Roscoe Riley was a big hit in my classroom last year. He's kind of like a male Junie B.!
Brablab is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My son loves Roald Dahl books as well. I usually read one of his books to my class.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote