Help

BusyBoard

wall decorating

>

reflect

wall decorating
Old 06-25-2012, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello...so I have busily spent all day on pinterest Dreaming how cute.my classroom will be this year and hoping this year I will be better organized..Haha

I LOVE a ckassrrom full of color and realized its the icky white block walks that need a makeover. Now painting is not an option. So I am thinking about either paper or fabric being placed in the wall. Has anyone done this? Is it easy? What is the best way to attack to wall?? Thanks!

reflect is offline   Reply With Quote

LindyJo

walls
Old 06-25-2012, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've only ever used fabric on walls that can be stapled into. I'm obsessive about getting fabric pulled really tight so it doesn't droop or wrinkle, which I think would be tough on regular walls. However, you could always try a hot hot glue gun (the cool melt glue doesn't stick all year). What I did though when I was in this situation was use foam. You can get those foam pieces that fit together like a puzzle. People often use the big black ones for basement and gym flooring, which can be found at most Walmarts or sporting shops. I ordered colored pieces online that were about a foot square. Each year I attached them to the wall with hot glue (I was in 3 different rooms in that school) and used it as a big bulletin board for anchor charts or student work.
LindyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Laci Lou

Hot Glue
Old 06-25-2012, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hot glue works on walls as LindyJo mentioned. Just remember to protect your fingers from the hot glue so you don't burn yourself. I use popsicle sticks, or tongue depressors to press into the hot glue. Also the challenge with fabric will be to get it to pull tight and not droop. If you can get someone to help, it will be easier.

I'd never thought about the foam squares which is a good idea. Another on the same idea would cork squares. I saw a recommendation that if you do these add a small spacer between the wall and the cork square so that you can push in a tack and not hit the wall. Lots of times the tack part is longer than the thickness of the cork. Just add a border and you should be good to go.

Happy Decorating!!
Laci Lou is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Curtain Rod, Cork Strips, Anchor Charts
Old 06-25-2012, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A curtain rod with a long piece of fabric might work. You would need to anchor the rod high on the wall and maybe low on the wall. That way the material could be stretched between the two rods.

Instead of having the material gathered as you would for curtains, I would make the material just as wide as the rods. Then you could hot glue clothespins to the material and use them for hanging anchor charts or student work.

Another thing that worked for me was cork strips. I had them above all my bulletin boards (which I back with cloth and colorful border). The cork strips worked great for my colorful manuscript and cursive alphabet, posters with important sayings, etc.

Maybe cork strips would work better than rods for hanging the fabric I mentioned above.

All I have ever seen are white anchor charts. Maybe if your anchor charts were colorful, it would add some zap to those white walls. Another thing you could do is frame your anchor charts with colorful bulletin board border.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

The Woods

Wall Decorating
Old 06-25-2012, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You might want to check with your principal to see if it is allowed by the fire marshal before you spend any money.

The Woods is offline   Reply With Quote

hotrod

Please...
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

check the fire code before you go all out and spend a great deal of money/time. I have had to remove many things in the past because the fire marshall came for an inspection.
hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote

reflect

love all these ideas!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Love all these tips!!

I have never heard of or seen those foam boards but those sound interesting and I would love the 3D effect and pop of color...I am gonna have to look around Walmart for that...what section would I even start in?

hapteacher

Walls
Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In my school the fire marshall banned anything over 20 percent of the wall. We can not have curtains, or cushions etc. It has gotten to the point where I look at all these beautiful classrooms and sigh..... if only. Now they are telling us that bulletin boards can't be coverered with decorative paper,,, we can come in and paint if the room is completely cleaned. I am so jealous! Last year one of the teachers was asked to take down hours and hours of work or face a $150 fine. I used to spend a lot of time hanging decorative items from the ceiling these too are banned. By the time you get word wall and other necessary materials on the wall this is no space to display student work. I do have a bulletin board but is three rooms down from my classroom. It gets harder each year to find a way to display anchor charts etc..... My latest idea was to laminate charts and put them on a wardrobe closet hanger on wheels. Now all my charts are on this with shower curtains not ideal but it works.
hapteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

summer4fun

hapteacher
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

could you post a picture of the wardrobe closet? I, too, have strict fire codes, and was trying to think of some way to display a few more items like the anchor charts. I was thinking about using one of those pegboard wall dividers, but my head custodian told me those count in the 20%...Sheesh. We should all just put nothing up and show them what it looks like...

But seriously, I would love to see cute classrooms that have mastered the fire code and still look inviting to kids. I think it can be done, but I just need help and pictures to model for me what it might look like.
summer4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

summer4fun
Old 06-25-2012, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You can try to hang your anchor charts on a portable metal garment rack. You can find single and double garment racks at your local Walmart. They are very similar to the racks used for pocket charts, but a lot less expensive. I've used the double garment rack before. You have to make sure you don't overload the double one, or it can tip over. An easy solution is to store something heavy on the bottom. I used clothespins to attach the charts to hangers. I also found XL and XXL plastic zipper bags with handles at the Dollar Tree that I was able to store charts in and hang the bag by putting the hanger through the handles.

When we got inspected last year, they told us we couldn't have more than 10% of our wall space covered.UGH!!!!

Good luck!

iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

kimsseven

Old 06-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

If you use liquid starch on fabric it will stick to the wall. When you are done you can just pull it off. Here we cannot use much fabric due to fire codes.
kimsseven is offline   Reply With Quote

3grteacher

Fabric Starch and Fire Codes
Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

First, I don't really get all the fire codes for this kind of stuff. I understand kids safety, but most schools are cinder block. Even if you have a bit of fabric around the room, the walls aren't going to go up in flames. Also, if your building has sprinklers, it wouldn't get into the ceiling. I think things are just getting a bit out of hand.

Anyway....

When my husband was in the Navy we couldn't paint any of the military housing walls. It is REALLY hard to live in a ALL WHITE house when you love color. A trick we used (as the poster above mentioned ) was to use liquid starch. It is a bit of a mess at first because you have to soak the fabric and then put it up on the wall. I used a wall paper brush to smooth it out and that worked well. I would also tack up ribbon or something along the top and bottom to finish off the edge. It worked like a charm and came off very easy when we moved. A lot of people would come in and think it was wall paper.
3grteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

reflect

liquid starch...
Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

That sounds like it would be perfect! Where would I go about finding that?

Side note our fire marshal is a very smart man. We have cinder blocks as our wall and he said if the building gets hott enough to burn the stuff on the wall it doesn't matter what is on the wall bc its all gonna burn anyways. So for now I will be thankful for our fire marshal

kckrzy

Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Liquid starch. I put fabric on one of my walls as well as a magnetic chalkboard. Works great. You can find a jug of liquid starch in the laundry isle. Got mine at WalMart. Pour starch in a tub, put fabric in and squeeze out the starch. Hang and smooth on walls, it will stick by itself.
kckrzy is offline   Reply With Quote