Help

BusyBoard

Gifted

>

MissHopeful

Gifted
Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So... for the last several years, I have taught third grade in an average classroom setting. Now, due to enrollment slump, my position is eliminated and I am appointed to take on the gifted education program at a different school in my same district. This position will be teaching 5th through 8th grade gifted students.

I would love any advice on how to tackle this challenge, as the program is brand new at my school and resources are limited.

I would love input on
*scheduling
*curricular resources
*organization
*setting up my room
*planning (units? themes? subjects?)
*anything else of importance

and

Do you know of any educators of the gifted/talented who blog? I would love to follow some blogs on the topic to prepare myself, also.

Thanks in advance

MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote

FLeduGATOR

Venspired
Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

venspired dot com

She has some great ideas, tidbits, etc. Very inspiring. She's a primary gifted teacher, but it could get you started in the right direction.
FLeduGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-02-2012, 04:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I recommend byrdseed dot com. It's a blog by a gifted teacher in California. Has lots of ideas for units and activities.

When I taught gifted, I did a pull-out model. Not sure if that is what you're doing, but if so I suggest talking to the general ed teachers. They can let you know what is going on in the classroom that you could build on during your time with the students.

I also found my kids LOVED the freedom of choosing their own units of study. I would let them vote about what they wanted to learn that year. We always came up with great projects and topics. Last year, for example, the kids learned about Greek mythology, Shakespeare, electrical engineering, economics and World War II. It's whatever they're interested in - and they're interested in everything! You'll have fun!
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gr8Profession

I would go to your Dept. of Ed.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In Indiana there is some good info on our Dept. of Ed website and also on the Indiana Association of Gifted website. I would look at what your state says regarding GT. I don't normally recommend our DOE website for much of anything but I did find that helpful - especially if you're new to GT. :-)
Gr8Profession is offline   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Before you get too deep into planning, I would look into how these kids were chosen and identified as gifted. Not to be cynical, but some districts and states do it better than others. There's a BIG difference between high achievers and truly gifted students. Not to say one is better than the other, but they have very different needs. If you have a class of truly gifted students, they'll need a different kind of class and curriculum than a group of kids who are just good, smart, hardworking students OR a class with a mix of both. Especially since you're at the middle school level, where "gifted" often gets used to mean "advanced" or "honors".

southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

byrdseed
Old 07-02-2012, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Ian also tweets, and constantly sends out great links.. #ByrdseedGifted.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

I agree. . .
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Byrdseed is a great site to get tid bit ideas. I am going for my masters in GATE ed. and the advice on here is spot on. You need to know what placement test was used to identify the students and whether or not they have participated in a differentiated program before. I would recommend exploring the website NAGC dot org along with Hoagies. My third grade students absolutely loved doing independent contracts, compacting, and acceleration. The best book to implement in the regular classroom and pullout I believe is " Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom, " by: Susan Winebrenner. It is filled with countless strategies, techniques, and reproducible guides, planners, etc.. It is worth every penny. Good luck and have a great year!
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

MissHopeful

Old 07-03-2012, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What a great thread!

You have all given me a fantastic place to start!

Thanks a million, as always!
MissHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote