Help

Math & Science

Multiplication Facts

>

bnm0329

Multiplication Facts
Old 11-04-2012, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone out there who can give me ideas to help my third graders MEMORIZE their multiplication facts would be GREATLY appreciated!!

bnm0329 is offline   Reply With Quote

tallmans wife

Rockin the Standards
Old 11-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you go to rockinthestandards.com you can get CD's or downloads. My kids LOVE the way they teach math facts. Good luck and remember to have fun!!!!
tallmans wife is offline   Reply With Quote

triciamc

Multipilcation facts
Old 11-10-2012, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I think I tried everything out there raps, activation. Finally, I decided to give each student a page face down on their desk with one of the multiplication facts that I printed from dadsworksheets.com (say 4's). There are 40 problems. I set the stop watch on my phone. When I say go each child turns over the paper and works the problems as fast as they can. When each student is done they silently raise their hand and I record their time. I have them put their name on the back of the sheet. I then take these sheets and get an average time according to the class and the number missed. (I do not use an equation and will sometimes leave out an anomaly (ex. 5 min when others took an average of 2 1/2.)
Two days later for a major test grade I set my time to the average time and give them a different worksheet of the same multiples. They must finish during the allotted time. I also add mixed test as well if we have done the individual facts. So far in 3 weeks we have learned 3,4,6 & 7s.
We are doing a 4, 6, 7 combo tomorrow.
I think that MAJOR test grade one or twice a week prompts the parent to drill them at home....I hope that made sense, Good Luck!
triciamc is offline   Reply With Quote

kimsseven

Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use the worksheets and games on Multplication.com. We also do the multiplications sundae as an incentive.
kimsseven is offline   Reply With Quote

samm214

Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

www.xtramath.org. Awesome free site for math facts. We log on daily

samm214 is offline   Reply With Quote

penguin1113

Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

samm- that site looks pretty cool! I'm going to have to use it on my students. Thanks for sharing the link!
penguin1113 is offline   Reply With Quote

bnm0329

Multiplication facts
Old 11-24-2012, 02:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

THANK you! I will definitely be trying first thing Monday
bnm0329 is offline   Reply With Quote

ClassAct911

Xtramath.org
Old 06-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Wonderful website.....can't wait to start this with my kids and my students.
ClassAct911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Schoolhouse Rock - when My own DS was entering third grade, I played these in the car all summer - trapped audience. (For a class, I would have them on as the kids arrive in the morning, during snack, or something like that.)

Multiplication Bingo - another one I did with my own child, but you could adapt it for use by small groups in class. I set up a blank bingo board with some fun/silly things in some of the squares - free piece of candy, make an animal sound, tell a joke, steal a chip from your opponent, etc. - and some small prizes for getting bingo. The child fills in his or her grid with any answers on the multiplication chart. They can only write each number down once, but if they pay attention, they will notice that some numbers are for more likely to be called than others.

Math War (Captain and Crew if you can't call it that at your school) - divide the class into two teams, in straight lines. First person in line is the General. Hold up a flash card to the two front students. The one who gets it first goes to the back of his or her line. The other one stays and goes against the next person. First team to get their General (or Captain) back to the front wins. It's kind of like Around the World, but I like it a little better for a couple of reasons - one, the kids who need the most practice get more turns, rather than the kids who need the least, and two, it tends to stay a little quieter than when they are spread all over.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote