Help

New Teachers

Classroom Management

>

dfieni

Classroom Management
Old 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I recently started my placement at a new school. My biggest struggle as an upcoming teacher is classroom management and in my new class I have a student who is constantly acting out and is not always nice to his classmates. Any advice for how to manage him or disruptive students in general?

dfieni is offline   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Hi dfieni
Old 09-10-2015, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would love to send some advice but I have a couple of questions.
What grade level are you working with? Am I reading this correctly in that you are doing your student teaching or are you a new teacher?
Disruptive students are always fun
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

Disruptive student
Old 09-10-2015, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome Defieni,
I totally understand the situation you are in. Classroom management starts on day one. You are the boss. I usually start out with an assignment that I know everyone can do and feel a sense of accomplishment. As DR ( disruptive student) is working keep an eye on DR. Quickly keep DR on task. Call home on day one and introduce yourself mention outbursts and your remedies to keep DR student on task. I would have my lesson over prepared and move on to the next assignment etc without batting an eye. You are all business. Just be sure to over plan. So that if one assignment isn't working you can move on to the next. Eventually you will be able to teach the same objective 3 different ways. Read Harry Wong - he is famous on classroom management. I have stressed through your situation when I was new at the game. You can do it
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

dfieni

2nd grade
Old 09-11-2015, 11:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am in second grade and student teaching

kerteach2

dfieni
Old 09-12-2015, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree that Harry Wong is a fantastic resource. I saw him speak a few years ago and he was amazing.
Tap into your co-operating teacher and ask what he/she has in their bag of tricks, What tried and true methods can be shared with you?
Look at the classroom arrangement. Is he sitting with good role models?
This year I have a few new friends like your student.
I have re-arranged seats 3 times in 4 days. Friday was tables - and I started an old trick of assigning table points. Points are given for anything and everything. Sometimes a little peer pressure can go a long way. As soon as the groups realized who was the reason that they didn't get a point, they were encouraging that child to do the right thing.
We did have a talk about how to encourage a friend the right way, things like " look , we all have our book out".
We made a poster that says "A Great Classmate" is, does, says, and is not. (I found it on Pinterest.) They worked in 4 groups - each one
assigned a section - then they presented their section to the class. I made it into 1 large poster and it is hanging up already.
Have you read anything about the PAX Game? My school uses PAX and it is wonderful.
Classroom management is really important, and you know it doesn't happen overnight, and sometimes can be challenging. I hope your co-operating teacher is helpful and can ge a great resource for you.
Please keep asking us here on PT, we are here for you

kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

How are things going?

dfieni

Pretty Good
Old 09-24-2015, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Things are going pretty good now. I have my first lesson coming up so I am pretty nervous, but the child seems to be very responsive to me and has been disciplined a lot so far. Hopefully he will be good for my lesson!

scottiestir

Old 09-24-2015, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You are probably doing all the strategies subconsciously to help this child. Sometimes you will be asked if you did x- with a fancy name, did you do z - with a fancy name and you did it. You developed your own strategy that worked with this child. Keep up the good work. Don't give up.