Help

The VENT

I hate being a bitch!!!!!

>

Teacherbee_4

I hate being a bitch!!!!!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My kids have been real PITAS the past two weeks. I can't take it anymore! The constant talking, the constant off task, the constant "in la-la land", not doing work, being slower than molases on things that shouldn't take that much time, constant everything that's not good. I'd do better if it was like just a few students who you could pinpoint and the rest were good, but this is like a great majority at some point. It's constant in the sense that it's always someone, though not always the same people-a little bit from almost everyone. We have had several heart to hearts this week. Today I finally told them I'm sick of it because I'm trying different things, asking for suggestions, etc. I'm trying to to do everything in my power to make it better, but they won't do anything. We had a long talk about working together, everyone doing their part, how it feels when someone doesn't do their part, etc. Today I just said I'm done trying if they aren't going to try to fix it. I asked how many were enjoying themselves at the moment and no one raised their hand. I asked how many wanted to enjoy themselves, and they all raised their hands. I told them all they needed to do was follow my directions, but that didn't seem to help. It seems like they just want to do anything and everything that THEY Want to do, not what they are supposed to do. It's just ridiculous. I asked them how they felt when others don't listen to them, talk when they are talking, don't do what they are supposed to do, don't try when they are trying, etc. They said "frustrated, angry, uncared for, disrespected." I told them that was how I was feeling because of their behavior. I was very firm. I didn't yell, but I do have a loud voice, and I definitely had my no messing around voice and face. I'm worried I'm going to get parent phone calls or e-mails or parents going to the principal because I "got mad at their little babies". I hate being the bitch. I just can't wait for the kids to do exactly what I expect and quit trying to push limits, and that we get into a routine where they follow my expectations.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Bitchy
Old 10-02-2015, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh yeah! I finally told my class "if you aren't following directions/behaving/engaging" I'm not going to be nice about it anymore.

I reamed 3 kids today.

I think they got the message.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Not alone
Old 10-02-2015, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm glad to see I'm not alone! I have high expectations for my students, but they are doable. All they have to do is A) try and B) follow my directions and life will be good. It's not that hard. I don't get what's so hard for them to grasp....

Action: Try my best and follow directions. Result: My teacher is nice and happy.

Action: Don't try my best and don't follow directions. Result: My teacher will be a bitch and school won't be fun or pleasant.

Very easy cause and effect in my opinion! I just can't wait until we can get to a point where they can meet my expectations on their own without me nagging and reminding them all the time!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

DeDee76

Old 10-02-2015, 07:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

PITAS, love it!!!
DeDee76 is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 10-02-2015, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Yep, gave my 'it's the end of the first nine weeks and you better get your act together' speech today. Really, really, really ready for Fall break! Just one more week, but someone thought it would be a good idea to schedule homecoming for next week! Our elementary will have dress-up days just like the high school. Oh, goody!!!

eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

tee hee
Old 10-02-2015, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was counting down getting my kinders attention today and raise and deepen my voice as I count down. One of my kiddos looks at me and yelled, "quiet, mean Mrs. Kinderlake is coming you guys!! Look!!"

The class got really quiet, so apparently they are terrified of Mean Mrs, Kinderlake!! (We just read Miss Nelson is missing, so that is the reference to mean Mrs. Kinderlake)

It was all I could do not to laugh!! Ahhh, kinders!
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote

SubMan

Old 10-03-2015, 04:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I think I subbed in your class on Friday!

First grade? We were doing word building and the class erupts in hysterical laughter lead by one little girl.

The word? cup

She says "that word is spelled See You Pee!"

I attempt to quiet the class. Then I start moving clothes pins down. Class gets quiet and I have a several run up to argue that they should not have their clothes pin moved down.

I'm back on Monday, different grade, different class, other end of the school. I'm sure that there will be parents in the office saying their special snowflake wasn't laughing.
SubMan is offline   Reply With Quote

DOUBLEWOW

I have
Old 10-03-2015, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yet to read what did you do that was disrespectful to them. What are you afraid of? Are they going to accused you of having an ugly face and I loud voice? If everyone is talking while you are talking how are you going to break through the noise and be heard? The only way is for you to be loud. For some groups waiting in the front silently or slowly countin doesn't work. Are you suppose to have a happy face when you are talking about a serious matter? Or enforcing your expectations? I know your frustration, I have been in your shoes, it feels terrible when you know you have done nothing wrong, and the parents will accuse you any ways. You probably fear the students will gang together with their parents, flat out lie and you will not be believed. It may actually happen. Make sure you prepare yourself mentally and physically, accept you can not change things and move on.

No you were not the b!tch
DOUBLEWOW is offline   Reply With Quote

scottiestir

sometimes
Old 10-03-2015, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Sometimes I laugh along with them and it breaks the tension. Then back to business. Kids will say, " She laughed." They don't realize you are human too.
scottiestir is offline   Reply With Quote

Angelo

It doesn't help
Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

that so many parents (and many admins also) form judgments of teachers based on part of the story. A lot of parents determine the relative quality of their child's teacher based on whether Junior is "enjoying school" this year or not. As in the teacher and his or her style is the ONLY variable in the classroom. Many do not consider that group dynamics often have a huge impact on the classroom environment. The wrong combination of students can contribute to a really toxic learning environment that can throw even a highly skilled, caring, and competent teacher into damage-control mode.

A lot of admins and pedagogical theorists love to trot out the whole "Class misbehaves for Teacher A but works co-operatively for Teacher B later that same day" example as evidence that the problem is Teacher A's classroom management and not the class itself. They never look at that in reverse. Teacher A has no difficulty whatsoever with classes A, B, C, D, and E, but class F acts like a bunch of turkeys and makes life unpleasant for the teacher. Wouldn't the same logic dictate that the problem is with Class F, since A, B, C, D, and E all learned well with the same teacher?

Generally, I reject as fallacious the assumption that Teacher A having more difficulty with a class than Teacher B is proof of Teacher A's bad management style. There are a zillion other factors than can explain this phenomenon. Maybe Teacher A is a woman teaching a class heavy with disfunctional, mysogynistic boys, while Teacher B is a tall, athletic man whose authority those little misogynists don't feel the need to test constantly. Maybe Teacher A teaches a subject the class doesn't like, while Teacher B teaches a higher-interest (to that particular group) subject.

Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleo88

Teacher_bee4
Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love what you posted and I'm right there with you. When students follow directions, comply with teacher directives, and don't ask for the umpteenth time, "where do I put the homework?", they will be rewarded with a happy, calm teacher. Otherwise, mean, nasty teacher comes out, and it's Teacherzilla time.😠
Cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote

DOUBLEWOW

Angelo
Old 10-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

"Maybe Teacher A teaches a subject the class doesn't like, while Teacher B teaches a higher-interest (to that particular group) subject."

Bingo!
DOUBLEWOW is offline   Reply With Quote

Shell

Old 10-04-2015, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Rule number 5: keep your dear teacher happy
Shell is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

My 3 teaching partners and I were just talking on Friday that this group of 3rd graders is the worst we've had in terms of following directions. Unless you say it and make them repeat it back to you they will NOT do it.

All 3 of us were crabby shrews (and only 2 of us are usually crabby ). It was a bad day.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kcougar

Wow...You have my class!
Old 10-04-2015, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This post could have been mine!

Our writing assignment this week...Write about your talking problem and how you plan to solve it. They wrote great plans that they failed to put into action again and again.

I walk into music class to pick them up on Friday and the assistant P is there chewing the whole class out for being out of control, talking over the teacher, ignoring directions, etc. I just looked at them and said, "Have you ever heard any of this before?" One little girl raised her hand and said, "Every day."

Teacherbee_4, you are not alone.
kcougar is offline   Reply With Quote

beachgirl70

Silence Is Deadly
Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I had a large, noisy class of freshmen, who acted like... freshman! They were always talking, out of their seats; it was crazy!!!

The ONLY thing that got them to be quiet was, at the beginning of class I'd stand at the head of the class and just stare at all of them. Just stand there and GLARE at them. Then a few students would notice, and whisper to the other, 'OMG, be quiet...!' and before i knew it, they were all quiet.

Yelling and detentions didn't work...
beachgirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote
VueltoLoco

VueltoLoco

The Clock
Old 10-08-2015, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

You're not alone. When I taught Spanish I had one class that would. not. shut. up. Eventually I realized that since I often structured my class with some sort of game or competitive activity at the end, which was the piece all the students looked forward to, it was easy to leverage this to my advantage. I came in one Monday and told this group of high school students that as soon as I heard talking or saw a cell phone, I would just look at the clock on the wall and count off exactly how many seconds of my time were being wasted. Every second that went by translated to a full minute taken off of the "fun" stuff towards the end. I won't forget the first exchange that transpired after this rule went into effect:

Me: okay, now, I need everyone to get two pens of a different colour so we can do some peer correction, and--
Student: but Mr. VueltoLoco, what about <fun thing> we were going to do?
M: You talked for fifteen seconds, that's fifteen minutes of extra work, and class ends in fifteen minutes. <Fun thing> doesn't exist anymore.
S: that's really harsh!
M: yep. Get used to it.

And that, as they say, was that. It does require you having some extra things for them to do, but they learn quite fast that not following directions = busywork.