Help

Kindergarten

Sensory Process disorder

>

bonnybelle

Sensory Process disorder
Old 10-13-2015, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Parents in denial. They describe personal travails and embarrassmental over tirades and hearinghypersensirivity. Have you any tried and true ways to help parents in denial. My students and I get the brunt of his rath all day and he gets Shopkins as a reward for not threatening to run out the door to run home.. at wits ends once again.

bonnybelle is offline   Reply With Quote

k28

Can't think
Old 10-15-2015, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had a great book several years ago. I can't' come up with the title.

But if you google "STAR Center" it will come up with some good resources. I know lots of people who have gone there and gotten some great help and ideas.

You think most of his sensory issues are around noise?

Good Luck.
k28 is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Old 10-15-2015, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My little guy has lots of troubling issues. I had not even noticed his hypersensitivity to sound. He is in a power struggle with all figures of authority myself included. I have totally taking a step back and let him reveal himself during the two week observation. I am not redirecting him I just change the focus. Sadly today his father was present in the classroom and was saying goodbye .to him which became a power struggle. He went into a classroom and kicked over the box of kindergarten journals during this struggle. Well his father was standing there I went and asked him what happened to our journals? You will need to pick some up now and I love dad to finish processing it with him. I am trying to remain sensitive to the fact that the parents have him 24/7 and I only have them for 6 hours a day. My bright spot is this a website referred me to a guide for teachers "Questions teachers ask about sensory integration". It appears to have checklist and typical traits and such I can refer to to better understand and become more empathetic with the parents as they process this information. I'll checkout StarCenter.

Last edited by bonnybelle; 10-15-2015 at 05:30 PM..

IA11

The Out of Sync Child
Old 10-15-2015, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

By Carol Stock Kranowiz (sp?) is an older resource -- but has been updated. She also wrote The Out of Sync Child Has Fun. Both are on easy read.

Both of my own children have SID (old name -- Sensory Integration Dysfunction) -- now it's SPD -- Sensory Processing Disorder. Ideally it's treated by an OT. I know that years ago, the did the SIPT (Sensory Integration Praxis Test) -- and the OT had to be specially trained to give the test. Don't know if that's true now. SPD presents in so many different ways -- bless you for helping him!

I guess for the parents -- you have to say things like, "I see X here at school -- do you see X at home? How do you deal with that?" Etc.

Good luck!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

bonnybelle

Old 10-16-2015, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Good suggestion on how to frame my conversation. Will try to remain respectful, but it so hard when they continue to try to

filter what I see when the aren't present.